Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I getting a new browning rifle in 6.8 western to be my lightweight hunting rig. These are the 3 scopes I'm considering due to weight. This will be a 500 yard hunting rifle for the open western states. My questions are which is better for dialing? Which reticle would you choose for first or last light? Which glass is best. I own just for comparison sake a vortex razor lh 3-15 g4 retlicle don't like the dot though , a zeiss v4 4-16 zmoa2 I think it is about perfect, nightforce shv 3-10 forceplex ill ok wish it had wind holds and nxs 3-15 moar reticle not a big fan for multiple reasons. So with that said any advise from those of you that own these 3.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have owned a lot of different scopes and I can honestly say that the Razor LHT IMO is about perfect for my usage on a 6.5 PRC. I bought one earlier this year and now I want more of them. The only negative is I just wish they didn’t cost a grand. It’s the first scope that I liked so much that I paid full price for it on the spot without even shopping around for a better deal. I’ve owned the NF SHV 3-10, Zeiss V4 4-16 and would take another LHT over either without hesitation. I won’t buy a Leupold, and while I love Tract Binos, I’m not comfortable dropping over a grand on one of their scopes.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I now have 3 LHTs and I think they’re the best lightweight/LR sub $1000 hunting scope on the market. They all ride on heavy kickers and are used to hammer rocks, steel and critters from close to way out. Tracking/rtz has been perfect and guts seem solid. I think you’ll come around to the reticle, it’s one of my favorite for precision long range shooting/hunting.

As a side note I had a VX5 3-15 which chit the bed on rtz so it left in a hurry.

100% Public land DIY!
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Bater
I now have 3 LHTs and I think they’re the best lightweight/LR sub $1000 hunting scope on the market. They all ride on heavy kickers and are used to hammer rocks, steel and critters from close to way out. Tracking/rtz has been perfect and guts seem solid. I think you’ll come around to the reticle, it’s one of my favorite for precision long range shooting/hunting.

As a side note I had a VX5 3-15 which chit the bed on rtz so it left in a hurry.

Glad to hear this! The LHT I ordered should be delivered today yet.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Also just an FYI, right now Midway is offering $100 gift cert with the purchase of a Vortex LHT. I was able to apply the gift cert right to my purchase price.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks for you replies. It seems to me on the lh the dot is to large for long range am I crazy.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by AlaskaCub
I have owned a lot of different scopes and I can honestly say that the Razor LHT IMO is about perfect for my usage on a 6.5 PRC. I bought one earlier this year and now I want more of them. The only negative is I just wish they didn’t cost a grand. It’s the first scope that I liked so much that I paid full price for it on the spot without even shopping around for a better deal. I’ve owned the NF SHV 3-10, Zeiss V4 4-16 and would take another LHT over either without hesitation. I won’t buy a Leupold, and while I love Tract Binos, I’m not comfortable dropping over a grand on one of their scopes.

I have read a lot of praise for the zeiss v4 4-16. Having used both, what do you prefer about the LHT? Appreciate it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Originally Posted by AlaskaCub

I have read a lot of praise for the zeiss v4 4-16. Having used both, what do you prefer about the LHT? Appreciate it.

To me the LHT is more forgiving on eye position, I like the reticle a lot , it’s simple but extremely friendly. Weight and length favor the LHT too. I think the V4’s are good scopes, but the LHT just seems to fit the bill on a lighter rifle used for hunting perfectly. The V4 has good glass too, but the LHT glass is as good as anything I've looked through. Adjustments have been precise for me too.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by azelkhuntr
Thanks for you replies. It seems to me on the lh the dot is to large for long range am I crazy.

I’ve shot mine out to 500 and I don’t see the dot being an issue. It’s the g spot on aiming with that reticle, the design of the reticle makes that dot the money spot to my eye it’s what I’m putting on the animal or target.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

The dot is absolutely perfect for long range yet super usable while timber pounding imo. I’ve taken all mine past 1200yds on <moa rocks/steel and it’s a breeze. Hangs right with my March 2.5-25 for long stuff and beats the March for quick close shots.

100% Public land DIY!
IC B3

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
On my regular lh it washes out a 1" center dot at 200 yards not 2 precise. I like the glass a lot better than the other 2 I mentioned also eyebox is leupoldish which to me is the best. If they only made a reticle like the zmoa2 or windplex . There wouldn't be a decision.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I really like the floating dot on my LHT for most targets. Great on game.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

The dot is absolutely perfect for long range yet super usable while timber pounding imo. I’ve taken all mine past 1200yds on <moa rocks/steel and it’s a breeze. Hangs right with my March 2.5-25 for long stuff and beats the March for quick close shots.

How so on quick shots?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Combination of MTR-3 and slightly finicky parallax on the March to my eye. LHT is just always in the “sweet spot” and reticle pops well in dark timber. For reference I killed a big black bear last spring as it moved through dark timber as daylight was fading (no illumination), some reticles of mine would have struggled. Never wanted anything more from the HSR-5i (MRAD) reticle.

100% Public land DIY!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Actually I bought my 3rd razor HD LHT 3x15x42mm. I am slowly replacing my non premium scopes to his one.....one at a time.

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Fotis
Actually I bought my 3rd razor HD LHT 3x15x42mm. I am slowly replacing my non premium scopes to his one.....one at a time.

So am I.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Looks like I'm going to try another LHT. Not sure why I didn't warm up to the dot.

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Anyone knocked this scope around a bit? With a scope similar in price to a Nightforce SHV, and not far below an NXS, I really want to know the internals can take some bumps and hold zero.
I do really like the G4 BDC reticle and would even consider the 50mm just for that.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I am told they are robust. Mine sits on a mere 308 but i have another on order...

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

I hate to hear that. On paper, the 3-15x44 has everything I'd like to have in a scope, along with the WindPlex reticle - my favorite for hunting.

Did yours fail to return to zero using the CDS dial? Any other details?

Thanks.

God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy...
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

540 members (10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 1234, 257Bob, 219DW, 65 invisible), 2,871 guests, and 1,188 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,311
Posts18,487,258
Members73,968
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.