-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
This is the bolt from a Brno VZ 24. It was disassembled so that a new bolt handle could be welded on, and a low profile safety installed. Even with YouTube I can't figure out how to get this bolt back together all the way. The cocking piece needs to be rotated clockwise more. Either I'm a dimwit or lack the hand strength to rotate it further. Or both......[Linked Image from i.imgur.com][Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

GB1

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Push the plunger and rotate the cocking piece an additional 90 deg , release the safety letting the nose of the striker cam move into the little detent notch.?

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
z1r Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That safety may not allow you to be in the safe position and still rotate the shroud. It typically locks the bolt. you may have to take the safety off and then rotate the shroud 1/4 turn clockwise.

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Been awhile since i done one. I think you want to take the safety off hoke the sear engagement on the edge of something and pull the cocking indicater back and rotate.

z1r Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Just twist the darn thing and don't pinch yer fingers!

IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by howard1
Been awhile since i done one. I think you want to take the safety off hoke the sear engagement on the edge of something and pull the cocking indicater back and rotate.

These are a PITA. I take a coat hanger, put my right foot in one corner of the hanger on the floor, hook the flat-faced edge of the cocking piece at the other end of the coat hanger with one hand, pull, and then hopefully turn the bolt shroud another quarter turn with the other hand turn to click into the proper position. At least I think that's what I do but my memory is not too good anymore.

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Not my video but you get the idea. I usually pull the cocking piece back and slide a penny between to hold the pressure,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLo20OiyWSg

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Pretty sure the safety has to be off. Hook the sear on the edge of a wooden workbench, push down, and twist the bolt handle until everything goes back into place. Just did it about three days ago.

What fresh Hell is this?
z1r Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Pretty sure the safety has to be off. Hook the sear on the edge of a wooden workbench, push down, and twist the bolt handle until everything goes back into place. Just did it about three days ago.

Normally this is the case but some folks like to alter the safety so that they can open the bolt with the safety on.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Another way that's worked for me: hook the sear engagement surface on the work bench. Pull down compressing the spring until there's a gap between the leading edge of the cocking piece and the back of the bolt shroud. Put a penny in the gap and ease the cocking piece forward. This will hold the cocking piece back so you can screw the assembly into the bolt body.

Sorry, looks like someone beat me to it!

Last edited by MTDan; 02/02/21.
IC B3

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by MTDan
Another way that's worked for me: hook the sear engagement surface on the work bench. Pull down compressing the spring until there's a gap between the leading edge of the cocking piece and the back of the bolt shroud. Put a penny in the gap and ease the cocking piece forward. This will hold the cocking piece back so you can screw the assembly into the bolt body.

That had always been my method too but 40+ years of working on Mausers has really taken a toll on the edge of my workbench. Now I keep an old screwdriver in my bench vise to put the sear against and pull.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Kp321
Originally Posted by MTDan

That had always been my method too but 40+ years of working on Mausers has really taken a toll on the edge of my workbench. Now I keep an old screwdriver in my bench vise to put the sear against and pull.

I was lucky enough to get an Israeli M98 bolt disassembly tool from Numrich when they had them available that makes this much easier (and saves ones' benchtop).

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I grabbed the sear qith vice grips and pulled. Didn't mar the finish any

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I went with the penny in the gap approach. I still found it necessary to clamp the bolt body in a vise, and used vise grips on the shroud to rotate it the final 90 degrees.
Would have been interesting to let someone else try to rotate it bare handed, just to see. Arthritis has my hand strength greatly depleted.

Last edited by Uncle_Alvah; 02/05/21.
z1r Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Uncle_Alvah
I went with the penny in the gap approach. I still found it necessary to clamp the bolt body in a vise, and used vise grips on the shroud to rotate it the final 90 degrees.
Would have been interesting to let someone else try to rotate it bare handed, just to see. Arthritis has my hand strength greatly depleted.

Glad you got it sorted. It's a bear when you accidentally let the shroud rotate 90 degrees and then try to reinsert the bolt. The first time is the worst.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Vice grips with a small strip of leather in the jaws, then slip in the coin. Only need three hands, and no blemishes created.

Last edited by 1minute; 02/05/21.

1Minute

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

655 members (10ring1, 1lessdog, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 66 invisible), 3,258 guests, and 1,288 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,380
Posts18,469,532
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.