Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Have enough time to go days, but that would mean change of area.

Like my area, no drama.....could be better, could be worse.
Am gonna stay on 2nds a while longer.

I can deer hunt in the mornings. Only real advantage.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Ten months into it, I'm convinced life sucks. There's no getting used to it or settling in for me. My off-time is almost totally worthless. On the edge!

I did 4am - 4 pm for 8 months and I had enough. Trying to go to bed when everyone is awake at home and trying to wake up at 3am was not for me. I found another job for the same pay which is Monday through Friday 8:15 am to 4:45 pm. Find something with better hours, it will make you happier.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by AKduck
Originally Posted by GreatWaputi
Holy chit, shift change every two weeks?! Fugg that!

Guess I’m used to it now. Everytime we get enough support to switch to longer blocks of days or nights some dipsh*t starts crying about losing shift differential for that stretch.

Well at least it isn’t spring creek where they have mandatory overtime..

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Night shift is not cool if you're part of a household that keeps regular folks hours.

Don't recommend hiring on as train crew if you can't swing a night schedule. Once your 12 hours rest is up (10 1/2 really) phone turns into a grenade - pull the pin on that fugger and wait for it to blow. Know its coming, just don't know when. Might be noon today, might be 2 AM Saturday...

Last edited by hillestadj; 02/05/21.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
ya i hated night shift. we did rotating in the service on either 2 or 3 month cycles. i never got used to mid-8. i could do swings but mids killed me.

My diploma is a DD214
IC B2

D
dpd Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Been working shift work for 34 years . 4 on 4 off . 12 hour shifts . Rotate days and nights . Never really bothered me . Nights has its advantages. All the people with crazy ideas are home sleeping.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
We are diurnal animals. We are supposed to be up and about during the daytime, and sleep at night.
If we get that swapped around, it causes all kinds of ill effects. I am talking about increases in divorce, heart attacks and strokes, all kinds of problems.

I was a team driver over the road for 2 1/2 years and that was really tough. On Monday I would drive from 8am to 8pm, and by Friday I was driving from 7 pm until 7 am.
That really messed with my head.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Full-time night shift supervisor since 1986. No, you never get used to it. When I hear day workers talk about being tired, I tell them, "Hell, I've been tired since '86." It worked well for me when I was the Chief of our vol. fire company. Always available during the day when most members were at work. But it does go against nature.

"No good deed shall go unpunished!"
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Ten months into it, I'm convinced life sucks. There's no getting used to it or settling in for me. My off-time is almost totally worthless. On the edge!

I no longer work night shift as I changed jobs...and man am I loving the change!

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Nighttime is for drinkin', fuuckin' and sleepin'.....

Ace

(PS, I hate heifer calving season...)

IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by dpd
Been working shift work for 34 years . 4 on 4 off . 12 hour shifts . Rotate days and nights . Never really bothered me . Nights has its advantages. All the people with crazy ideas are home sleeping.

This. After and IF you get acclimated to third or night shift, it's not a bad shift. I've been working it for four years now and see more of my family than when I worked daywork. I've got a great boss, a Black guy who just worry's about getting the work done. When the work is done and no more fires to put out, you can sit down and rest. Daywork is for the drama queens in management. We don't take any breaks during the night, work straight thru. We save all our time for end of shift. Sometimes we can get a 1/2 hour nap, sometimes a 2 hour nap before we drive home. Driving home and not falling asleep is the hard part till you work out your own system that works for you. Now rotating shifts, that's a whole different ballgame. My hat's off to the guys that make that work.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Nighttime is for drinkin', fuuckin' and sleepin'.....

Acemarried

(PS, I hate heifer calving season...)

Sorry Sam but you seem to have jumbled up the words,

"Night time is for fucking drinking and sleeping'.

Now we old married fellas can read it.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by victoro
If we were meant to work at night we'd have night vision.

Hard to argue with that

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
I worked shift work for 40 years, 3 years were 8 hour shifts....the other 37 years were 12 hour rotating shifts! I never did get much sleep when working nights, 5 hours being a good days sleep. But, I got a lot of work done around the house when I wasn’t sleeping! frown memtb

Last edited by memtb; 02/05/21.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Boom Boom
Whatcha doin, if ya don’t mind? Not building ice roads? Kinda sounds like gigolo hours! 😆😉

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 79S

No kidding. Or Goose. We get all the OT we can want down here but it ain’t mandatory.

Yup.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I always enjoyed night work.

Didn't have to put up with front office and got paid more to boot.

Did that for 3 or 4 years back in the 70's.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by AKduck
Originally Posted by 79S

No kidding. Or Goose. We get all the OT we can want down here but it ain’t mandatory.

No mandatory at goose, not yet anyhow..

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
The only time I worked night shift was when we wrecked a critical piece of rotating equipment in the refinery. I was the one to make it right. Short of those crisis none, That said, my Father worked weekly rotating shifts, days, swings and graves for years without a complaint that I ever heard growing up. Maybe he biotched to my Mother but we never heard it. Just doing what needed to be done raising a family of five.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by ironbender
Boom Boom
Whatcha doin, if ya don’t mind? Not building ice roads? Kinda sounds like gigolo hours! 😆😉

Driv'n from A to B to C to A, repeat next night, repeat, repeat, repeat..... Sometimes mix it up and go A to C to B to C to A. At least there's spectacular scenery...

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

597 members (1badf350, 222ND, 219DW, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 70 invisible), 3,005 guests, and 1,284 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,681
Posts18,534,291
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.