-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think current Howa Minis have 8” twists. One of those and a stock and floorplate from Oregunsmithingllc will come in pretty light at about a grand, give or take depending on how cheaply you can get the barreled action. Good luck finding a Montana!

Then again, there’s always the Tikkas.....

What fresh Hell is this?
GB1

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I built mine on a model 7 with lots of weight saving measures. Its still not a light as a micro action would be. I think id go for the montana too. Even if you rebarreled it, youll be in it less than building something on a remington or clone. Mine is a 6tcu. Ive killed lots of deer with the 223 but your 6x45 is definitely "better" to me.

Last edited by Willicd76; 02/19/21.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Pappy348
I think current Howa Minis have 8” twists. One of those and a stock and floorplate from Oregunsmithingllc will come in pretty light at about a grand, give or take depending on how cheaply you can get the barreled action. Good luck finding a Montana!

3 pages in and you are the first to mention Tikka. Why complicate things when you can get an out of the box Tikka Superlite that will probably shoot circles around most lightweight customs? And for far less money than the custom rifle. Then there's that.....

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Montucky by fhuqking light years. Hint.

Sako/317's suck heavy ass,due mag constraints. Hint.

Doubly so on a 461 in 270. Hint.

Cheezy 527's are pieces of fhuqking schit too,for like reason(s). Hint.

Same goes the Micro Mouser. Hint

'Course I've Seven's and 700's so chambered too(223,223AI,270,amongst others). Hint.

OEM magbox shim slide,bolt stop shortened,exhaust port flared. Shot it out and rebarreled 270. hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Mike Rock 1-7" at 21" duped,shank shortened,magbox shim slide,bolt stop shortened,exhaust port flared...yada,yada,yada,the usual. hint.

Teekers suck HEAVY ass,due their fhuqking Dog Schit magazines. Hint.

In extrapolation. Hint.

I shoot it all and then some. Hint.

You've been led to water.

Thank me later.

Hint....................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
the montana has some ergos that aint been replicated anywhere else. fits me like a glove. ive gone the t3x route ... still have one unfired but its for sale.

Uber Demanding Rifle Aficionado
IC B2

F
fshaw Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
Big Stick,

I enjoy your posts.

You’re right about the 317 and L461 and magazine length. Nice little actions though. Do greatly diminish potential of .223/AI though. I do like the 317’s connection to Vern O’Brien though. Legend has it that one of his .17s took a monster up in your country.

Where do you come up the actions for your builds? How do you get from a .473 bolt face to .378? What’s your #1 barrel choice? Do you have trueing work done or just screw on the barrel? Stock? Trigger?

Thanks.

F
fshaw Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by n8dawg6
the montana has some ergos that aint been replicated anywhere else. fits me like a glove. ive gone the t3x route ... still have one unfired but its for sale.

PM’d you.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I know I majorly screwed up not grabbing one of the Montana 223’s last year. Those were a score and a heckuva awesome platform.

Semper Fi
F
fshaw Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
Beretzs,

They sure are hard to find for sale. Must be great.

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Originally Posted by fshaw
Beretzs,

if i was reduced to 2 rifles, it would be the .223 montana and my stainless boat paddle 77/22

Uber Demanding Rifle Aficionado
IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
Did anybody mention a Tikka Superlight in .223?

I LOVE mine!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
D
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by fshaw

Check your PM's. I have a line on a .223 Montana for you.

Thoroughly enjoying Alaska since 2001.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I have had my share of 223s and 223AIs including custom M700s and a 461 or two. They stay for awhile then go away.

For several years now I have had a Montana. It is going NOWHERE.

It feeds better than any 700, I am sure because the action is narrower and it’s less of an offset from the mag box to the chamber.

With what I know today, I would wait for a Montana, grab it when it became available and keep it forever.

Someone said this earlier in this thread. If I had to pare down to two centerfires, one would be the little Montana 223. The other would be the hard decision.

Anybody who seriously concerns themselves with the adequacy of a Big 7mm for anything we hunt here short of brown bear, is a dufus. They are mostly making shidt up. Crunch! Nite-nite!

Stolen from an erudite CF member.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by RickF
I have had my share of 223s and 223AIs including custom M700s and a 461 or two. They stay for awhile then go away.

For several years now I have had a Montana. It is going NOWHERE.

It feeds better than any 700, I am sure because the action is narrower and it’s less of an offset from the mag box to the chamber.

With what I know today, I would wait for a Montana, grab it when it became available and keep it forever.

Someone said this earlier in this thread. If I had to pare down to two centerfires, one would be the little Montana 223. The other would be the hard decision.

Man... you’re not making it easy!

Semper Fi
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Lone peak Fussion Ti action carbon fiber Mcmillan game scout or classic and lw barrel will get you there if you got the cash.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Kimber Montana for the win!
I have one salted away with the barrel chopped and recrowned to 21" and two stocks cut-down for 12 and 12.5" LOP for future grandkids. wink

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by Pappy348

3 pages in and you are the first to mention Tikka. Why complicate things when you can get an out of the box Tikka Superlite that will probably shoot circles around most lightweight customs? And for far less money than the custom rifle. Then there's that.....

Yeah, and I don't even like the oogly buggers, though I admire what they can do and the machining. Go figger.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Had a Kimber I punched to 223ai. Was a mistake to sell that one years ago. Its the easy answer if shooting righthanded probably.

RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Montana 223 with an 8" Lilja installed by Dave at IT&D is a consistent hammer...same as the Evil Twins

Dave

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Montucky by fhuqking light years. Hint.

Sako/317's suck heavy ass,due mag constraints. Hint.

Doubly so on a 461 in 270. Hint.

Cheezy 527's are pieces of fhuqking schit too,for like reason(s). Hint.

Same goes the Micro Mouser. Hint

'Course I've Seven's and 700's so chambered too(223,223AI,270,amongst others). Hint.

OEM magbox shim slide,bolt stop shortened,exhaust port flared. Shot it out and rebarreled 270. hint.

Mike Rock 1-7" at 21" duped,shank shortened,magbox shim slide,bolt stop shortened,exhaust port flared...yada,yada,yada,the usual. hint.

Teekers suck HEAVY ass,due their fhuqking Dog Schit magazines. Hint.

In extrapolation. Hint.

I shoot it all and then some. Hint.

You've been led to water.

Thank me later.

Hint....................

Thanks Stumpy! Its been a while since I've seen some of your rusty rifles, camo'ed with your teenage daughter's Nail Polish......

and since you always talk about leading people to water.... have ya ever considered takin a bath, and brushing the teeth you have left, while you're anywhere near the water?

I know ya love takin pics with your rifles in the water, when you're out shooting fish with them.... and all that rust helps camo them Alaska style....

one of these days, you'll have to explain exact what you mean when you are "Sucking Ass", and letting your Lab schitt in your rifle's magazines...
does that make ya shoot better, or help your rifles smell like you do?

That genuine Authentic Alaskan Trailer Trash Jibberish is sorta hard to follow.... without a Little Orphan Annie Decoder Ring and an Alaskan Translation Dictionary...

you can respond whenever, as it 5 AM up in your A/O.... so you are probably passed out on your bathroom floor in a pile of barf, next to the toilet when you were doing your nightly ritual of Worshipping the Bathroom Throne...

See ya in the funny paper there Gilligan...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

613 members (10gaugeman, 160user, 1936M71, 10ring1, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 65 invisible), 3,102 guests, and 1,296 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,382
Posts18,469,572
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.