Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by gunner500
Originally Posted by Teeder
Old style Speer Grand Slams, bonded? yes, still cup and core? yes.

The Grandslams were never bonded.

Be danged, learn something new here everyday, thanks Teeder, thought I remembered reading something about 900 degrees of molten lead core poured in, maybe just a Hot-Cor with thicker jacket?

Quite a few people think the Hot-Cors and Grand Slams are bonded, apparently even some gun writers,.because one published an article in a major magazine a year or two ago, and neither he nor the editor knew they're not.

The cores are indeed formed by injecting molten lead into the empty jackets. But the jackets aren't heated, so the cores don't bond to them. You can prove this by putting a Hot-Cor or GS in a vise, nose up, and hacksawing down into the nose. The jacket can then be easily peeled off the core.

They will also lose their cores occasionally on game. I have seen this personally--the first time when the jacket stayed at the entrance hole, and the core kept going.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
GB1

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Originally Posted by Teeder
Old style Speer Grand Slams, bonded? yes, still cup and core? yes.

The Grandslams were never bonded.

Be danged, learn something new here everyday, thanks Teeder, thought I remembered reading something about 900 degrees of molten lead core poured in, maybe just a Hot-Cor with thicker jacket?

Quite a few people think the Hot-Cors and Grand Slams are bonded, apparently even some gun writers,.because one published an article in a major magazine a year or two ago, and neither he nor the editor knew they're not.

The cores are indeed formed by injecting molten lead into the empty jackets. But the jackets aren't heated, so the cores don't bond to them. You can prove this by putting a Hot-Cor or GS in a vise, nose up, and jacksawing down into the nose. The jacket can then be easily peeled off the core.

They will also lose their cores occasionally on game. I have seen this personally--the first time when the jacket stayed at the entrance hole, and the core kept going.

Thanks Mule Deer, the ones I have and have yet to recover are the old style 175gr 7mm's, they leave at 2700 fps, should be GTG at that mild velocity, I bought these over 30 years ago, recently got some 375 cal 285's in the black plastic box on closeout, iirc they were 14 bucks a box, hoping a mild load of 2600 fps in a 375 H&H wont stress em too much, would only use by choice on light big game, would never risk Western US, Alaska or Africa hunts on them.

Trump Won!
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Those 175s are from the era when Grand Slams were at their best.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Those 175s are from the era when Grand Slams were at their best.

Nice! Thanks, I have 100 left, then it's on to building a 7x57 load with the tried and true 175gr Partitions at 2700fps, cake speed for that bullet.

Trump Won!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Grew up on a cattle ranch and used Speer .270/130gr, .30/150gr, .30/180gr on CA Blacktails & pigs almost exclusively fir years and was never seriously let down but with availability becoming increasingly erratic several years ago, I switched to Hornady IL versions in the same calibers. In comparing my results, I’d say that I get many, many more exits with the Hornady and less bloodshot meat on shoulder shots. Never went back to Speer.

I think that Hornady makes a dependable product with the IL and I’d rank them at the top of the C&C field.

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by colorado bob
I've hunted with the 30/06 for the past 50 years. I started out with Remington Core-lokt. The 180's grouped better out of my Model 700 than the 150's. So I went with the 180. Killed everything from mule deer, elk , antelope and black bear. Found several bullets in elk----they were perfect mushrooms---just like the photos in the magazines. Then I drew a bighorn sheep tag & my reloading buddy said I needed to shoot reloads for accuracy. I tried both Hornady interlock & Nolser solid base. Interlocks were a little more accurate. FYI----I used up the 180 Nolser solid base on a couple cow elk----they worked. I used my interlock reloads on bighorn sheep, mtn goat and WY moose. They worked just fine---everything died. I never found any bullets. I decided that reloading wasn't for me and I went back to factory loads. I tested Federal, Winchester & Remington in wet phone books. The Winchester PP was a perfect mushroom & weight @ 140 grains--if I remember correctly. The Federal & Remington really didn't mushroom----they both weighed about 100 grains. So I choose to use Winchester PP & they worked great on black bear, elk and mule deer. I've never recovered a bullet from an animal. I've lost only 1 animal. A cow elk that I tried to break her spine----only shot I had & have regretted it very since. Young & dumb.

I site my rifle in 3" high @ 100 yards & go hunt. Everything is 180 grains in everything---factory or reloads.

I try to get a couple boxes every fall when there is a $5 rebate per box.

In all honesty any of the Big 3 in 180 grain will work in a 30/06 for anything in the lower 48. For AK grizzly, I would up it to 220 grain & use a Nolser partition. That's what I'm planning on using this June on my AK grizzly hunt. But many a grizz has been killed with 220 grain Core-lokt factory loads AK natives.

Colorado Bob

Nice write up Bob. Good info and advice. Mirrors what ive seen as well. One thing I can say is ive had mule deer catch the solid base noslers. One reason for switching to the 200gr partition for elk now. I have a ton of those 180gr powerpoints though and they work very well and are surprisingly very accurate. One of my favorite cc bullets. Thanks for sharing your wisdom. 50 years with the grand ol 06 is good stuff. Ive only been using one for 35 years and have shot pills ranging from 55gr up to 250gr. Critters the size of a lizard up to elk. The 30-06 just works.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by PintsofCraft
Grew up on a cattle ranch and used Speer .270/130gr, .30/150gr, .30/180gr on CA Blacktails & pigs almost exclusively fir years and was never seriously let down but with availability becoming increasingly erratic several years ago, I switched to Hornady IL versions in the same calibers. In comparing my results, I’d say that I get many, many more exits with the Hornady and less bloodshot meat on shoulder shots. Never went back to Speer.

I think that Hornady makes a dependable product with the IL and I’d rank them at the top of the C&C field.

Your post spurs me to think about exceptions though. For instance, I've read quite a few comments that imply the Speer .35 cal 220 Hot-Cor is a tough bullet. Some think it's too tough for deer. Mule Deer has often mentioned bullet manufacturers make some bullets, often the heavier for caliber ones in their lineup, tougher since they expect them to be used on tougher game. Another example already mentioned in this thread are the RN Core-Lokts. Some years back BC30Cal mentioned some disappointment with the Hornady 220 RN IL as another. I've seen others praise that bullet. Hornady's 44 cal 265 FP IL was specifically designed for the 444 Marlin in mind. A pox on them for discontinuing it as a handloading component. Perhaps they'll bring it back someday.

And then there's Sierra. Seems to be an either love or hate sentiment with them with the old core separation debate. I think most refer to Game Kings although that's often not specified when comments are made. Curious about sentiments for the Pro-Hunters. Not surprised that we don't see as many comments about them but FPs and RNs are just fine in the woods. Are Pro-Hunters any tougher than Game Kings? How do they compare to ILs?

Perhaps we can see some more comments about specific bullets in the cup and core lineups folks feel are exceptional or ones that are below par instead of generalizing the whole lineup.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Gringo I like your thought! I’d enjoy seeing more specific info instead of generalizing as well. Interestingly, I’ve got a 35 Rem and shot a small amount of the .35 220’s and always had decent luck - on hogs but no deer.

Most of this .35 shooting was done years ago and there might be a slight chance that, as a younger man, overlooked what was an obvious bullet failure by today’s standards while I was busy gutting & skinning the dead animal.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
PintsofCraft,

As I have pointed out a couple of times on this thread, impact velocity has a lot to do with cup-and-core effectiveness (and hence "toughness). Have not used the .35 220 Speer flat-nose on game that I can recall, but have seen the .35 i8o at work--but at a modest muzzle velocity of around 1850 fps, from my wife's old German combination gun, with a 16-gauge shotgun barrel and a rifle barrel chambered for the 9x72R, a round that originated in black powder days.This gun is nitro-proved, and turned out to have a bore/groove diameter typical of American .35-caliber cartridges. The 180 Speer has knocked the snot out of deer out to around 150 yards (which is about as far as the trajectory holds up), and we have never recovered one.

I'm wondering when you started using the Hornadys? I ask because even before the Interlock ring they worked better than most cup-and-cores. I've only been using the .30-06 for 45 years (Colorado Bob has five years on me), but among the first bullets I used in it were both the 180-grain Spire Point and Round-Nose, which both worked very well at the typical 2700 fps--so well I started using 150 Spire Points in my first .270, at around 2900 fps. They also worked very well, expanding and penetrating great. I found out many years later this was because Hornady used a slightly harder lead-alloy in them--even before they added the Interlock ring.

John Steinbeck
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
i had never used Berger bullets before to hunt with so here`s my cup and core results on 2 Berger Bullets this last fall 2020 on the Berger 25 caliber 115 gr. bullets = yes this bullet did open up the 2 bucks on the over side of the body well, both were bigger whitetail bucks 1st was open day 150 yards away shot with the Berger 115 gr. bullet in my 257 Weatherby the buck went straight in the air and went 12 feet stone dead when he hit the ground dressed around 170 lbs nice buck, 2nd buck 2 weeks later nov. 21st. end of the rutt 100 yards away blew the heart to pieces hole on the way out was 4 inches buck made it around 50 feet and fell over dead with again the Berger 115 gr. bullet out of 257 Weatherby mag. again. this old buck 205 lbs. dressed . i really liked how accurate this Berger 25 cal . bullet shot on paper and on these 2 bucks. i used the Berger reloading book max . load using Reloader 25 and the 115 Berger gr. VLD bullets. you guys have much more experience with these Berger bullets than i do, do you guys feel this is a good buck deer bullet ? i also wonder how well these 25 caliber Berger bullets would work on an elk too ? thank you ,Pete53

Last edited by pete53; 02/14/21.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Mule Deer, In thinking about my transition from Speer to Hornady, I estimate it being somewhere around 1995 but can’t be exactly certain. I do remember the Hornady boxes being much different with stamped white letters on a metal cornered cardboard box but at that time had no idea what made them special - I for some reason just couldn’t get Speers like I once could. The way the Speers transfer energy to the animal is pretty impressive but sometimes (mostly) came at the expense of an exit. The Speers seem to transfer energy kinda like a Partition does initially but doesn’t have the follow through that we’re all familiar with but the Hornady seemed to give both at a great price that kept me shooting a bunch.

Tim

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Tim,

Thanks for the details. The addition of the Interlock ring occurred in the 1980s, so your Hornadys were all Interlocks.

Which is why I started using even more Hornady Spire Points in the 80s. They not only expanded and held together reliably at moderate velocities, but at well over 3000 fps.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Mule Deer, thanks for the conversation & information! It’s great to learn more about these things.

As an aside, I have great memories of the performance specifically the 130gr 270 & 180gr 30 Interlocks. They really seem to punch above their weight class. I’ll always have some on hand.

Tim

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've use Hornady, Sierra, Speer, and Remington with equal success. Lately I've moved more toward Sierra, and farther away from Hornady, but that is because Hornady keeps dropping the bullets I use.

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Youper,

That can be a factor!

Plus, as I also noted earlier in this thread, Sierras work just fine within their velocity parameters. And like most other bullet companies, they use design specific caliber/weight bullets for specific uses.

John Steinbeck
W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by Judman
Maybe the “real deal” formidolous will chime in, tell us all what a 70lb field doe needs for killin!! Haha

Yes, indeed! Let’s have all the doe killers chime in !

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I used the 35 caliber 220gr Speer FN on a couple of does. Had to be 15-20 years ago when South Dakota could not give away enough doe tags.

This was out of a Rem 673, 350 RM. Do not remember the particulars, but did not leave any lasting impression, other than they worked. I do not recall thinking they were too soft, or hard.

Arcus Venator
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Am I the only one who’s had terrible luck with Corelokts? Only ones I’ve used much were the 140 6.5 in factory 260 ammo and the 130 270 but both were terrible. The 6.5s gave terrible penetration and massive cratering wounds. The 270s weren’t much better though not as bad.

Every time I read someone extolling the virtues of the Corelokt I think back to those experiences. I know MD has said the RNs were tougher but my narrow experience with the pointed ones was awful.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
TheKid,

The Pointed Soft-Point Core-Lokts were changed around 1990. Before that they had heavy "sidewalls" in their jackets, which combined with the cannelure tended to hold them together pretty well. But after 1990 they had thinner jackets--except for the round-nose models, which retained the thick jackets. Or at least they did for several years. I haven't sectioned any in a while.

That said, even the heavy-jacket Core-Lokts could come apart if they hit heavy enough bone. I shot a facing mule deer buck with a 180 from a .30-06 around 1980, and while it killed the deer, the bullet turned into fragments on the buck's spine. Also, John Nosler (the original designer and maker of Nosler Partitions) shot a British Columbia moose in the shoulder with a Core-Lokt from his .300 H&H, and the bullet failed to penetrate beyond the shoulder. Nosler eventually killed the moose, but that experience led him to develop the Partition--which he first field-tested on another moose, and worked fine.

John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Yeah not my experience at all but I realize that my experience is with Corelokts of the 60's, 70's, 80's & 90's. Things allways change and sometimes it's not because the engineers made an improvement but a beancounter decided to save money screwing up something that works. To many animals to count I've shot with Corelokts that worked perfectly. Mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

76 members (BABore, 257 mag, badwolf, 35, BDR1, 6 invisible), 1,424 guests, and 949 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,623
Posts18,474,058
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.