Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I imagine an 800k house is pretty nice from the get go. Fix some paint and drywall issues, nice pressure wash if needed, cleanup the yard and get that thing on the market. No telling what inspector may find, you may be spending some money on that kind of stuff.

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Remsen
I wouldn't do anything more than paint and cleaning. I've never seen a full return on any improvements we've made to a house and most buyers are going to do their own customization of the house after they move in, so it's usually a waste of money to remodel in preparation for a sale.

Originally Posted by MadMooner
In this market I wouldn't be doing counter tops and floors unless they were totally wrecked.

I'd focus on getting it straight, fresh, cleaned and staged. Get landscaping freshened up, pressure wash any growth, for sure fix drywall/paint whatever needs it......

These guys know what they're talking about !!

Anything you can do, without spending a bunch, it's all about presentation.

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Paint if needed, but I wouldn't replace anything unless it was broken. Let the new owners make it their own by letting them put what new stuff they want in it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Tide_Change
It's all about first impressions.

Prospective buyer drives up, sees all the damn deer and turkeys in your yard, and promptly does a U-turn and drives off.

Nobody wants those yard rats eating their flowers and apples.

'Choot em all. Then list the house.

I"m not sure if you are serious or not, but buyers wanting to get out away from the city would probably love to see wildlife, I doubt their first thoughts are going to be the nuisance they cause.

Every house I've looked at the minute I pulled up I knew whether is was a "continue to consider". So curb appeal is huge. You get a potential buyer excited before they walk in and they'll rationalize away everything else they don't like.

Unless you have some crazy color scheme, I wouldn't make a huge investment in redoing the house but I'd have everything fixed and perfect.

Last edited by KFWA; 02/08/21.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The market is crazy right now. Our house is in the country in a lower income county, but is one of the nicer houses in the county... but is dated a bit. Built the same year as yours. A realtor friend told me just pretty up the necessary stuff. I reset a few landscape blocks, painted and caulked the bathrooms, and fixed a couple minor sheetrock cracks. The only reason I painted the bathrooms is after looking at "jillions" of new houses, their color schemes are, well.... more colorful. I painted greys and mocha in the baths. Left the kitchen as is.
When we bought our place, it had been on the market of 9 months. I had three buyers, word-of-mouth only before we listed it. First buyer walked in, looked around for a few minutes and said:"We'll take it." I just picked a price off the top of my head. Did contracts myself (rocketlawyer.com). When buyer financed, the house appraised $30k more than what I sold it for! Ouch! But, I had already signed an agreement with the buyer.
All this being said, with interest rates hovering in the 2.5-2.75% rates, people are hungry to buy right now.
I would try just low cost "prettying it up a bit" and see where it takes you.
Good luck!

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
around here people are begging to know about a home before it goes on the market on social media. They don't want to get in a bidding war.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Depersonalize and declutter.

Clean. Make sure it doesn't have an odd smell.

If you have neutral paint in good shape, leave it that way.

The flooring should be clean, but replacing it doesn't give much ROI since buyers in your price range will likely replace it if they don't like it.

Exterior doors matter. You can get from 75-85% of your money back with a new front door or garage door.

Curb appeal.

You want the house to be bright and airy. Replace dim or yellow bulbs with bright modern bulbs all of the same light color.

There's a lot of good info out there with some net searching.

Last edited by Cluggins; 02/08/21.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Savvy prospective home buyers primarily want a house and grounds that has been well maintained throughout.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RS308MX
Kitchen and bathrooms.

Big kitchen upgrades rarely return their costs.
Bathrooms are easier/better (unless you find rotten wood.

Maybe clean out and recaulk stained areas.

Paint, updated matching towel racks etc are a better way.
Let new owners pick their own big ticket items.

Clean up and adjust cabinet doors etc.

If you have stained old sinks, look for deals on vanity tops etc.

Clean out the dark dirty corners of the garage and basement...

Just making it bright clean an less lived in will go a long way..

Last edited by OldmanoftheSea; 02/08/21.

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Check out what's on the Market in your price range. Visit some open houses and see how $800,000 houses have in them, and what's been done. then watch them and see how fast they move. Take lots of notes. People expect certain things in $800,000 houses. If it's not there they move on. Not sure about your area but in our area there are enough $800,000 houses on the market to take care of the market. That is a very small percentage of the market.

As has been said, curb appeal then people drive up, so take care of the bushes, trees and such so people can actually see the house.
When you start moving the things out of your house (to declutter) you will be able to see where the old pictures were hunt. It will become obvious painting is important. People don't expect to see tile counter tops, they expect the upgrade, granite or whatever is available in your house. Same with the bathrooms. Watch some of the fixer upper shows and get a feel for what people are doing to upgrade. In 4 years your house could easily be worth $900,000 + depending on your market and people will expect more. No one wants carpet. Plan on replacing that. Get an agent or two through the house and see what they tell you. People want light and bright these days. They also want move in ready. Few people have the ability to make changes in a house to make it what they want. If you have wood cabinets, you may want to consider replacing them. It's important to get a feel for what you are competing with and a good agents advice.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
IC B3

C
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
C

I would agree with those who caution against putting too much money in a place to sell it. You'll never get it back. My wife and I have bought and sold three places in the past ten years...no we're not flippers, it's just how things have worked out.) My MIL recently sold an "extra" house she had bought to put her mother in some time ago. She put a bunch of money into it to make it sell better and took a bath...and she knows better! She's been a real estate broker for years!

One thing I would spend money on: have the best home inspector in the area check the place out for you. If there are any problems that might be an impediment to a sale, take care of them before you put it on the market or at least consider how much and how willing you will be to adjust the sale price if necessary. The more of this stuff you get figured out and/or taken care of before the sale, the quicker and easier the whole process will be for you.

Mathew 22: 37-39

P
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by KFWA
Originally Posted by Tide_Change
It's all about first impressions.

Prospective buyer drives up, sees all the damn deer and turkeys in your yard, and promptly does a U-turn and drives off.

Nobody wants those yard rats eating their flowers and apples.

'Choot em all. Then list the house.

I"m not sure if you are serious or not, but buyers wanting to get out away from the city would probably love to see wildlife, I doubt their first thoughts are going to be the nuisance they cause.

Every house I've looked at the minute I pulled up I knew whether is was a "continue to consider". So curb appeal is huge. You get a potential buyer excited before they walk in and they'll rationalize away everything else they don't like.

Unless you have some crazy color scheme, I wouldn't make a huge investment in redoing the house but I'd have everything fixed and perfect.

He’s kidding.

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by killerv
I imagine an 800k house is pretty nice from the get go. Fix some paint and drywall issues, nice pressure wash if needed, cleanup the yard and get that thing on the market. No telling what inspector may find, you may be spending some money on that kind of stuff.

Do the obvious to you, but also have an outside person, maybe a friend, to be brutally honest about what might turn them off that you can fix easily. It could be an outdated front door, an overgrown hedge, or busted up front walk. You get my drift. Sometimes we get so used to seeing something, we don't really see it as a potential buyer would.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Remsen
I wouldn't do anything more than paint and cleaning. I've never seen a full return on any improvements we've made to a house and most buyers are going to do their own customization of the house after they move in, so it's usually a waste of money to remodel in preparation for a sale.

^^^^^^+

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Depending on if you have hardwood floors underneath, pulling up older carpet to reveal hardwood floors can work in your favor

"Put none but Americans on guard tonight."
-George Washington
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If structurally sound just eye appeal enhancements, inside and out. I wouldn't sink a lot of $$$ in doing something the prospective buyer may or may not like.

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
This forum is full of a bunch of fuhging Martha Stewarts.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
My wife and I will be selling our home in the next four years, God willing and the creek don’t rise. We’re looking at the place critically, anticipating the need to spend some money to get into showroom condition. We built the house in ‘97 and updated in 2007, but we still have the original tile countertops and original flooring (Pergo and carpet). Original interior paint as well.

The question is, how much cosmetic updating do we do? Fix the cracks in the walls, repaint and call it good? Or replace the tile countertops with granite? New hardwood floors?

We’re on 5 acres, 2800 sq. ft., not a starter home, close to $800k so we’re looking to attract a high-end buyer.

Looking for educated opinions.

P
We're also on 5A with about 2400 ft/sq - but have an updated/remodeled 40X96' pole shed and another 36X40 shed that's only seven years old. We hope to sell in 2-3 years.. We've done major upgrades all around.. Replacing four windows by April, maybe another six by this fall.. Kitchen's been fully remodeled, with new cabinets and appliances.. Replacing the stand-alone oven in two weeks. The other two are only 4-6 years old. I hear that the most value retained in sellers' homes are related to the kitchen.. With newer, excellent appliances and room to move around are key. Painting some walls that are needed, + fixing any drywall issues are rather cheap overall and do add to the attractiveness.. Like others have said above - don't do anything radical because the new owners will want to tear most of it apart (carpeting/floors etc) and start over..

But as anything - it's location, location, location.

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
P
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Cluggins
This forum is full of a bunch of fuhging Martha Stewarts.

Martha Stewart’s net worth is $400 million.

Keep talking.

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 280Rem1
The market is crazy right now. Our house is in the country in a lower income county, but is one of the nicer houses in the county... but is dated a bit. Built the same year as yours. A realtor friend told me just pretty up the necessary stuff. I reset a few landscape blocks, painted and caulked the bathrooms, and fixed a couple minor sheetrock cracks. The only reason I painted the bathrooms is after looking at "jillions" of new houses, their color schemes are, well.... more colorful. I painted greys and mocha in the baths. Left the kitchen as is.
When we bought our place, it had been on the market of 9 months. I had three buyers, word-of-mouth only before we listed it. First buyer walked in, looked around for a few minutes and said:"We'll take it." I just picked a price off the top of my head. Did contracts myself (rocketlawyer.com). When buyer financed, the house appraised $30k more than what I sold it for! Ouch! But, I had already signed an agreement with the buyer.
All this being said, with interest rates hovering in the 2.5-2.75% rates, people are hungry to buy right now.
I would try just low cost "prettying it up a bit" and see where it takes you.
Good luck!

There was another thread on here about FSBO and my advice to him was pay 3-600 bucks for an independent appraisal. When we sold ours all we did was declutter, paint and clean. I had a couple of issues with the furnace I knew about that we fixed. But we were able to price the house according to the appraisal and all went well. Wasn’t over priced by much and definitely not under priced.

Swifty
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

634 members (1badf350, 16gage, 1moredeer, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 58 invisible), 3,006 guests, and 1,301 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,959
Posts18,519,447
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.