Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thank you.
Lee most likely will keep him for a year to get him started. I don't wanna screw it up !!!

GB1

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Yellow or black for me, right after great genetics and proper conformation!

T
tcp Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by T_Inman
Yellow is a recessive gene in labs from what I understand, but they're my favorite anyhow. Chocolates have genes even more removed from the original breeding, I believe.
Hell, I don't know. I do love me some labs though.

I've hunted over the gamut of all colors including red and white, and I found no correlation between their color and their personality or hunting ability. Some are absolutely retarded and some are really smart. Most are in between. Their (non-color) genes may be the biggest factor, much like with people.

If any animal is purposely bred for a specific color- by default you are forced to accept whatever other genetic traits may be present in the parents.

Yellow is in fact dominant in that a dog with one copy of the yellow gene will be yellow regardless of its gene for black or brown. Black and brown share the same locus and black is dominant over brown. Thus you can have yellow dogs with either black noses/lips or brown noses/lips. Two brown dogs bred can ONLY have brown puppies. Two black dogs bred could have either black or brown puppies. Yellows bred together may have puppies of all three colors.

All labs are great and most dogs are better than the majority of people.

Last edited by tcp; 02/13/21.

If you can't be a good example, may you at least serve as a dreadful warning
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by remm120777
I had a foxy red with a pink nose! Best bird dog I owned. I

a Dudley. i have a yellow with the pink. her sister was choco with the brown nose. the choco passed this spring at 15, rosie the yellow is almost 16 and slipping.
i love em all but the chocolate's seem to have the most independent nature. mine flipped me the bird every time i missed. the yellow we have sheds like a cottonwood tree. have to vacum the house everyday of there is 2 inches of hair

Last edited by deerstalker; 02/13/21.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by tcp
Originally Posted by T_Inman
Yellow is a recessive gene in labs from what I understand, but they're my favorite anyhow. Chocolates have genes even more removed from the original breeding, I believe.
Hell, I don't know. I do love me some labs though.

I've hunted over the gamut of all colors including red and white, and I found no correlation between their color and their personality or hunting ability. Some are absolutely retarded and some are really smart. Most are in between. Their (non-color) genes may be the biggest factor, much like with people.

If any animal is purposely bred for a specific color- by default you are forced to accept whatever other genetic traits may be present in the parents.

Yellow is in fact dominant in that a dog with one copy of the yellow gene will be yellow regardless of its gene for black or brown. Black and brown share the same locus and black is dominant over brown. Thus you can have yellow dogs with either black noses/lips or brown noses/lips. Two brown dogs bred can ONLY have brown puppies. Two black dogs bred could have either black or brown puppies. Yellows bred together may have puppies of all three colors.

All labs are great and most dogs are better than the majority of people.

tcp,
Can't help but agree fully with your last sentence. However re the genetics of coat color I respectfully believe this is a better explanation:

https://www.thelabradorsite.com/labrador-colors/#black-chocolate-Labrador-origins

"Mating Two Yellow Labradors
Two yellow Labradors mated together will never throw brown or black puppies. All their offspring will be yellow.

This is because yellow dogs do not possess the big E gene which is needed to switch off the masking effect."

IC B2

T
tcp Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
Longarm,

Thanks for the correction. I was responding from my memory. Here is an equally good explanation with a little more detail

http://www.oakhillkennel.com/library/color.html

Last edited by tcp; 02/14/21.

If you can't be a good example, may you at least serve as a dreadful warning
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by patbrennan
Yellow or black for me, right after great genetics and proper conformation!

100%

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by tcp

This Can Not Be Stressed Enough!

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
^ Actually there is nothing particularly revelatory about that statement. In EVERY breeding one is "forced to accept" the genetics of the parents.
Sure, if someone is breeding primarily for color AND is willing to accept negative traits in the parents simply because the breeding will result in offspring of a preferred color, then they are breeding poorly/irresponsibly.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by longarm
^ Actually there is nothing particularly revelatory about that statement. In EVERY breeding one is "forced to accept" the genetics of the parents.
Sure, if someone is breeding primarily for color AND is willing to accept negative traits in the parents simply because the breeding will result in offspring of a preferred color, then they are breeding poorly/irresponsibly.

Silver, Red, etc are breed for color! Black, Yellow, and Chocolate are not forced colors. You agree in your own words with my statement!

Last edited by MontanaCreekHunter; 02/14/21.

IC B3

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
"You agree in your own words with my statement!"
Is that a first?

I'm a big fan of the three standard colors in Labs. It's been awhile since I read up on silvers, but I seem to remember that there were some skin issues being introduced by focusing solely on that color in a breeding program. First breeder to report them happened to also be breeding Weimaraners..

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Not a Lab guy at present, but if I was “nose, desire, size and temperament” would be the first priorities...have those in the right combination and I would be content with whatever they had.

laissez les bons temps rouler
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Is that a first?

I'm a big fan of the three standard colors in Labs. It's been awhile since I read up on silvers, but I seem to remember that there were some skin issues being introduced by focusing solely on that color in a breeding program. First breeder to report them happened to also be breeding Weimaraners..

I have no idea, I don't keep up with you and your positions.

It isn't just skin and medical issues. Breeding for colors has introduced weaker genes that effect a lot of the dogs behaviors and capabilities like drive, instinct, temperament, and also confirmation standards. Lab's outside of the Standard Black, Yellow, and Chocolate I would steer clear away from. They are novelties not gun dogs.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
sad doing this to hunting dogs. Labs have enough health issues with the over breeding

Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
Is that a first?

It isn't just skin and medical issues. Breeding for colors has introduced weaker genes that effect a lot of the dogs behaviors and capabilities like drive, instinct, temperament, and also confirmation standards. Lab's outside of the Standard Black, Yellow, and Chocolate I would steer clear away from. They are novelties not gun dogs.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I wouldn't even take a chocolate myself. Black or yellow, those are the choices. Everything else is a novelty, as stated.

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by BKinSD
I wouldn't even take a chocolate myself. Black or yellow, those are the choices. Everything else is a novelty, as stated.

I agree but Chocolate's do occur regularly without manipulation so I included them. Myself I rather have a Chessie, but if I were to get a lab it would be black or yellow.

A friend of mine big in the hunt test scene told me that off colors do get titled. BUT he said the best of the best in natural colors vs bred colors is night and day. Personally I have only seen a handful of Silvers, a few whites and reds. None of which impressed me in the least.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I mean, if you just want a dog to look at, then knock yourself out. No shame in that. Just know what you're getting into. 12-15 years of your life and his intertwined. Make it what you want it to be.

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Is that a first?

Again, it appears you are seeking an argument where there isn't one. Maybe have a glass of milk and a nap?
No one has argued in this thread for red or silver labs.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Is that a first?

Again, it appears you are seeking an argument where there isn't one. Maybe have a glass of milk and a nap?
No one has argued in this thread for red or silver labs.

You may want to re-read your original post. I never said anyone argued over red or silvers. I stated why they should stay clear of them and why they are a novelty dog and not a gundog. You have added zero to this thread.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Do you even own a dog, Champ? laugh

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

688 members (10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 16penny, 72 invisible), 3,288 guests, and 1,413 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,481
Posts18,471,797
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.