Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MarkFed
Originally Posted by MuskegMan

Originally Posted by Oldman3
Dont forget the $150 per cu/yd for cement....

Cement is sold in 94# bags. Concrete on the other hand . . .

Thank you...you beat me to it. Some people just don’t understand that they are two entirely different animals.

Yep, you're right! But I'll bet a nickle against a dollar that you understood what I meant.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by CashisKing
Yes on #94 pounds... BUT WHY IS IT #94?

I know everybody wants to be Jimmy Olsen and say why but hold off and let's see if we can have some commentary on here as to why people THINK 94 lb is not an unusual weight.

In other words, gentlemen if you know the answer please don't just blurt it out. I used to win a lot of bar bets on this one.

Metric?

Union weight limit for a tenderer?

Perfect amount for the mortar mixer to hold?

35 years in the business I know the answer. You would be buying me a drink with that bar bet. Cheers!

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Snow loading? How heavy can it be?

Camp is where you make it.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by slumlord
I am interested in what you come up with.

I just need some classic rib metal roofing, 26-29 gauge.

Hope it doesnt jump too dramatically.

I know girders, beams and structural has gone crazy in the last 10 years.

If you have the patience you can build the girders/trusses your self.

Last edited by tzone; 01/28/21.

Camp is where you make it.
C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
I am trying to get a generic invoice that I can publish here so everybody can have a nice visual of what I just did.

I do not have that generic invoice yet and I'm not willing to publish mine... too much private information and a discounted price on two buildings is not fair to the company that sold me the buildings... unless you are willing to buy two large buildings at the same time as identical Construction.

What I did get was the following.

30 ft wide, the maximum available without changing roof structure to heavier construction.

12 foot walls at 4 foot on Center of 12 gauge material. Normal spacing is 5 foot on Center 14 gauge.

48 foot long. I chose this number because it was a multiple of 4.

One 12' x 12' roll up door and one 36-inch man door.

The roof is vertical and 29 gauge. The walls are horizontal. If you want vertical walls there is an upcharge because purlins must be added. I ended up doing two tone colors on the building and trim. I will post a generic 3D picture of the building when I get a chance.

I will lay in a footing with block coming out of the ground for the bottom Rim joist to Anchor to.

I was responsible for 6% sales tax / West Virginia.

After I completed my transaction I was advised on February 1st there would be an 8% increase in steel prices. It might be 6% and it might be 10%, regardless the whole reason I made this initial post was because of the increasing cost of metal buildings. I.e. don't shoot the messenger.

The name of the company is

TheNCBuilders

They are out of Mount Airy North Carolina.

Just like a car lot will sell a Ford a Honda and a Chevy...

This company sells metal buildings. They take your order and a 17% credit card deposit, then they send the order to the fabricators. Once your building has been fabricated it is palletized and ready for installation. The sales company coordinates the installation Crews. They serviced 46 States.

There are many metal building sales companies on Craigslist, Facebook Etc. I waded through many of them. Been getting quotes for the last 4 days. These are good North Carolina boys and I trust them. Whether you trust them or not is entirely your affair. If you feel like writing about another company please do so in another post.

The two buildings that I am getting are as strong as I could make them in a practical cost-effective manner. In my opinion I achieved the maximum square footage of a strong building for the most modest price. In fairness I cannot share that final price because I ended up with two buildings and a considerable amount of negotiation. I will say that I'm extremely pleased.

If you are interested in the exact same building that I just purchased please contact Robbie

RobbieTheNCBuilders.Com and ask him to quote you on the exact same building that "Leonard just bought".

If you were interested in a different size building of course he could quote you on that as well.

There is absolutely nothing in this for me other than to try and help others.

If you prefer to call Robbie's phone number is 336-583-9818. He is a good young man. Please do not abuse him with absurd questions and a bunch of nonsense.

After wading through a half a dozen different companies I found his service and dedication to be the best. I am simply trying to convey that... nothing more.

If you would like to discuss particulars please drop me a p.m. with your phone number and I'll be pleased to call you.

Last edited by CashisKing; 01/28/21. Reason: Southern accent voice to text typos

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

IC B2

C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Morewood
Yes on #94 pounds... BUT WHY IS IT #94?

I know everybody wants to be Jimmy Olsen and say why but hold off and let's see if we can have some commentary on here as to why people THINK 94 lb is not an unusual weight.

In other words, gentlemen if you know the answer please don't just blurt it out. I used to win a lot of bar bets on this one.

Metric?

Union weight limit for a tenderer?

Perfect amount for the mortar mixer to hold?

35 years in the business I know the answer. You would be buying me a drink with that bar bet. Cheers!

LOL... 99% don't

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Theo Gallus
The absolute sharp pencil quote that I have now for two buildings is around $29,000.

If each building is 1500 square feet that makes my cost less than $10 per square foot..

$29,000 / 1500 sq ft = $19.33 per square foot.

Yes, you are definitely in West Virginia.

I believe I used the term EACH.

Not trying to be rude here, but if two buildings are 1500 square feet each that is a total of 3000 square feet at a price of $29,000 makes them a little bit less than $10 a square foot.

My bad, Sir. I interpreted "or", not "and".

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Raeford
Originally Posted by whackem_stackem
Originally Posted by Theo Gallus
The absolute sharp pencil quote that I have now for two buildings is around $29,000.

If each building is 1500 square feet that makes my cost less than $10 per square foot..

$29,000 / 1500 sq ft = $19.33 per square foot.

Yes, you are definitely in West Virginia.

It's 1500 + 1200 sq ft = 2700 sq ft
$29,000/2700= $10.74 sq ft
Where did you go to school?

Ummm, RINO U?

Uncle Theo will add you to his ignore now. The whole lot of you.

Lol

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
So the building is not $10 a sq ft. Because that quote doesn’t include a foundation.

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
THERE ARE NO COINCIDENCES
M
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
M
Cash,

Is this a red iron frame or galvanized tube?

IC B3

C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by BobBrown
So the building is not $10 a sq ft. Because that quote doesn’t include a foundation.

You win... congratulations!

S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
shouldn't this be in classifieds

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by MtnHiker
Cash,

Is this a red iron frame or galvanized tube?

It is sqaure galvanized tubing.

Red Iron framing is a fantastic building. Tikka's building is super impressive. If my needs were different I would absolutely have gone that route.

My buildings will be more for lumber and Equipment storage. They will be on a gravel base with a cinder block Foundation to support the rim joist.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
you're getting quotes for two buildings that size installed for 29k? that sounds unbelievable. or prices are waaaaay lower where you're at. this past summer i paid 27k for a 24x40x10 with 8 doublehung windows, two man doors and a 10x9 insulated garage door. tyvek wrapped, r19 blown in insulation in attic and full metal ceiling. concrete included. the price was 24k until covid hit. i got 3 bids and this was the best.

i also priced just the materials and it was around 15k, not including install or concrete

after re-reading, i realize we are comparing apples to oranges. yours is like an equipment shed. mine more like a shop.

Last edited by rem141r; 01/28/21.

My diploma is a DD214
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I’d call that a carport

But if it does the job you have for it, WGAF?

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Here in central Missouri concrete comes from the plant in the truck at $120 per yard. A crew to dig footers and pour such a pad $155 a yard total concrete here is average $275 a yard poured and finished. I just had a 30 x 48 pad poured this morning. So unless your gonna dig your own footers and pour them then frame up and form the pad and finish it yourself price your local concrete accordingly.

Some guys with pump trucks charge $310 a yard. So price it out first. I know it depends where you live and how hard it is to get it to you. Here all rock/gravel is going up a $1.00 a ton starting Feb 1. It sucks buy what you can now things are gonna get worse. I had to buy $3,355 in gravel plus the $275 a yard the rebar was provided by the crew.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I built a 4000 SF building right before this COVID China Flu bs started . Dodged a bullet ...

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Local guy on Craigslist and Facebook marketplace has been selling solo roof trusses for Ag buildings for $288 each for past year (assume he sells kits and picks up a few extra trusses when picks up an order from the manufacturer)... full load kinda stuff.

He went from $288 each last week to $360 this week.

His ad is up every week... steady as clockwork.

I am guessing the $72 price increase is real... 25% jump in steel. Good luck fellas.

C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
This is just a follow-up. Prices have since gone up substantially.

Robbie finally got me the generic quote I had asked for previously. I am guessing they were slam busy.

Generic quote on the exact building I got is right at 17000 now plus your local state tax. Quote is on a 30 x 50 and I got a 30 x 48 because of structural 4 foot centers. I also got a 12 by 12 roll up door not a 10 by 10. That's why I raised his estimate from 16,800 to about $17,000.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/gVDbt5vRdHVAkm4XA

My price was substantially less because I got two buildings ordered at the same time and was able to negotiate considerable savings.

One of the buildings will get a 16 in wide and 8 in deep backhoe excavated concrete footing with 3 courses of block... grout filled cells. This building will have a gravel base for now and the option to place a concrete slab later. This Foundation is going to cost me about $4,000.

The other building will have a concrete slab with a thickened edge. That slab is going to cost me about $6,500... plus steel if I choose to add any. I specified 4000 psi concrete with entrained air at 6%. I'm not sure if I'm going to add steel or not other than the thickened edge. 5" slab 12" edge. I think we were 26 yards on the building with slab...

and 10 yards on the footing and block.

Concrete has to travel over the mountain to get to me. Current price is $165 a yard. I expect prices to go up

Although both buildings are double certified which means 12 gauge steel on the uprights and 4' centers... I will also add pallet racking to the uprights and 8 foot beams to make Home Depot type shelving 12 feet high. This will be very useful for storage and will also add tremendous wind shear resistance. I have a friend that sells pallet racking cheap.

Concrete & Masonry work will occur in early April. And the buildings hopefully will be up before May.

Turn key and complete I'm hoping to have both buildings installed with power for under $40,000. For a final price around $14 a square foot.

The building with the slab will be for lumber storage and a temporary shop while I built other cabins and the main house. The building with just the block foundation and gravel will be for heavy equipment storage and other ruff use items.

These are just the first two buildings on 340 Acres... but they should give me the opportunity to paint myself out of a corner... as it were.

Back to Robbie and his quote. Mount Airy North Carolina has several fabrication shops. And they have several hundred companies that will quote you on a metal building for installation in 48 states.

In a nutshell, these companies that quote you a price lock you into a contract then select the fabrication house that will best meet your needs on installation and Fabrication timelines. I was quoted by many but found Robbie although he is quite young and his boss Chad... to have been the most honest in meeting my needs. They are all hunters and enjoy playing with toys. Part of my negotiation on the price was or them to play with any toys they like while they were putting up the buildings and to come back next fall for a deer and bear hunt.

As with anything your mileage may vary. I am only bothering to share this metal building process so that others may see the process and understand the cost and how it works.

In summary the initial $10 a square foot quote was for a basic building set on gravel and tied down with screw anchors AKA mobile home strap anchors... and with minimal extra consideration given for the wind shear or snow load. Mostly, I was trying to let folks know before the February 1 price increase that they might want to start the quote process ASAP.

When I upgraded the building for extra strength and extra snow load and decided to set it on block or concrete the final price went up as occurs in all things. It was never my intention to mislead anyone. I still consider my final turn key price of $14 a square foot to be a very reasonable for finished buildings.

Anyone that would care to know more or observe proceasss in-person please feel free to drop me a private message regarding the when and where.

Good luck gentlemen, prepare as best you can for all things to come.

Last edited by CashisKing; 02/11/21. Reason: Damn phone typos

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Is an 8" deep footer below your frost line where you are building? Do you think a 16" x 8" deep footer will keep the building from settling? I doubt it would here in KY, not sure about anywhere else.

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

676 members (1beaver_shooter, 160user, 16gage, 1Longbow, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 65 invisible), 3,056 guests, and 1,307 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,620
Posts18,492,682
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.