Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Over the years, I've grown quite attached to mid-layers in my hunting. For the last couple years, have run a FL Aerowool next to skin, FL Sawtooth over that and something else when its cold. A Sitka Kelvin Lite hoody and Jetstream round out my standard above waist outfit.

I break down my needs as: hike in, still hunt, sits (glassing or meadow watching)

The FL Aerowool/Sawtooth combo works well 90% of the time for the hike in and still hunting. The Sitka Kelvin Lite/Jetstream works 90% of the time for sits. The past couple years have seen colder weather (0 to single digits) and wind. Wind and single digits don't work well for my mid-layer scheme on the hike in. I tried a Jetstream vest to cut wind and wasn't overly satisfied with that. I've worn the Jetstream jkt in the cold/wind situations and find I sweat too much. For this coming year, I'm leaning to a base layer/2 mid-layer scheme - FL Aerorwool next to skin, a 350-400 wt merino wool shirt, FL Sawtooth. This should still breathe, and hopefully with 3 smaller layers, mitigate heat loss from the wind.

I've used various weights of fleece but find they offer next to zero wind resistance - unless they have some type of wind blocking mechanism. I have every weight fleece from really thin to stupid thick and have moved away from them but might try midweights between the Aerowool and Sawtooth.

Which got me to thinking - how do you all do mid-layers when you hike 1-3 miles in, climb 1-2000 feet, then expect to sit or still hunt?

I also wish someone would make a jacket with wind block, DWR finish to shed light rain/snow, quiet material, with ~ 100 gr Primaloft built into the jkt. That way I wouldn't need to stuff the Kelvin Lite and Jetstream into my pack. If you know anything fitting that bill, I'm all ears, or eyeballs in this case.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
GB1

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Teen temps or below (sitting) I'll wear my Montbell Alpine down vest over a mid-layer Patagonia R2 or R3 fleece jacket or a single Montbell Alpine down jacket (own both their down vest and jacket). Also have 2 Patagonia climashield vests for milder temps. All mentioned are light and highly packable.

I usually wear some combo of 2 baselayers, a light and med/heavy. Own various weights of baselayers: capilene, Smartwool, 32 Degrees (Costco), Orvis, and Pacific Trail etc. Quarter zips much preferred for the second baselayer.

For waterproof shells I have several hooded ones: highly packable E-Vent and a cheapo Frogg Toggs. And for closer hunts a Cabelas Whitetail Gore Tex shell and Columbia Big Game shell. Hoods are much preferred.

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
I’m a first lite and kuiu fan

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I get tired of people telling me what they "run".

Imagine a corporate oligarchy so effective, so advanced and fine tuned that its citizens still call it a democracy.

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Borchardt

I feel the same way. Didn't even finish reading the post after I read "run". Might as well throw in platform too, just as bad for me. The clothes I run on my 200lb platform...

Last edited by Mountain10mm; 02/11/21.
IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

You have the right to remain silent.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I have started replacing my merino base layers with Alpaca when I can find it. It is 3-4 times warmer than wool and seems to have a broader temperature range due to the hollow fibers. Great for socks too. The other I like is the Patagonia which is the best of wool and synthetic combined.

The Natural gear fleece is very wind repellent with out a membrane. The membrane I think defeats the purpose of the fleece as a mid layer.

I always carry rain gear and if wind is a problem I wear that over all but most of my jackets do fine without it.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I've heard/read good things about Alpaca. Might just have to try it next round.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I wear whatever the heck I can find at a reasonable price at the local army/navy surplus....works just fine.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

I don't, that's just how I roll. Seriously though, I tend to focus more on who's doing the running.

BW's a good dude, IMO he can run, use, or wear whatever he wants.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Merino + Berber fleece + down puffy. Add or remove as needed.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I don't own any Sitka or First Lite clothing so I found BWs experiences with it informative. 👍

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks guys. Sorry for the delayed response I was running. Literally.

After re-reading my post I was a bit surprised I used that word for the reason elaborated by several. I'm not a fan of the word used in conjunction with wearing clothes or about anything else.

I also find it interesting that people can't get past it either. I have a tendency to get past semantics and evaluate the content. My pet peeve is people struggling to make a point because they haven't figured out grammar or sentence structure. I still try to find whatever value there is...........

I enjoy the knowledge base here and use it often. Some of the guys offering substantive input are also the guys I'm most interested in hearing from.

As to base layers, I 'discovered' a Patagonia R1 shirt yesterday I forgot I bought in WY last summer on closeout. I like hoods but this shirt is going to see some hiking time this winter as a double mid-layer. I'll probably run it all winter grin

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by DBoston
I have started replacing my merino base layers with Alpaca when I can find it. It is 3-4 times warmer than wool and seems to have a broader temperature range due to the hollow fibers. Great for socks too. The other I like is the Patagonia which is the best of wool and synthetic combined.

The Natural gear fleece is very wind repellent with out a membrane. The membrane I think defeats the purpose of the fleece as a mid layer.

I always carry rain gear and if wind is a problem I wear that over all but most of my jackets do fine without it.

A few things to look at here. Thanks for the thoughts, I'll have a look.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Bw-in 10-35 degrees I typically wear merino t-shirt, FL Chama hoody and then a 350 WT wool zip up. If I need to dump heat, I can zip open that heavy weight. Keep a puffy in the bag for sitting.

I have limited knowledge of alpaca, but several years ago got a pair of alpaca socks as a gift. They are too warm. I couldn't imagine hiking in those. Now, they are thick, heavy socks....a lighter weight version maybe better?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Pretty much exactly what I “run”. The Chama hoody is my absolute favorite piece of clothing. The FL Merino pants are great too.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've always run wool as a first layer, most often Filson heavy weight depending on temps. Next is usually a berber fleece vest with a windproof liner or a Filson 24 oz wool vest. When really cold a wind proof hoodie goes over the base layer. Last is an outer layer that is wind and or water proof, and insulated.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
TR I've been working at various 350-400 weight merino. I love merino but it takes a while to dry when I sweat. I've not heard of alpaca socks. I have issues with cold feet, I doubt theyll be too warm for me <G>

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
In mid to late season 90% of the time my outerwear is gore-tex lined to provide some wind and rain/snow protection. I also carry a down vest, a neck gaiter and some heavier gloves in my pack. When I'm sitting I'll put the vest and neck gaiter on once I start to cool down.

Affordable Sportfishing Charters and Cruises out of Noank CT - https://www.rowdygirlcharters.com/
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Speaking of gaiters......I picked up a “Buff” brand Merino gaiter this year.

It’s like the damn multi-tool of clothing. Worth every penny.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

562 members (1minute, 06hunter59, 163bc, 12344mag, 1badf350, 10gaugeman, 61 invisible), 2,644 guests, and 1,298 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,592
Posts18,473,455
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.