Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
Last year at this time $45/500 hornady bulk box now $ 16/100 + If you can find any. The 55 fmj Hornady is my basic bullet for practice with AR's and the 55gr SP hornady the basic dog killer they used to be 10 cents a piece in 500 ct bulk boxes now if you can find them the are 20 cents a piece in 100 ct boxes around here. You asked .Mb

Thats good info. Thanks. I don't feel bad about the purchase then. I won $104.00 lastnight in Winnemucca, so that more than paid for the bullets. Ha ha. Its been a good bullet buying run so far. Found some 30 cal Barnes ttsx, hornady 123gr v-max 7.62x39 (bought 2 boxes, they had 4)), 500 22cal 77gr SMK, 30 cal 168gr match bthp hornady bullets and 600 hornady fmj. One store had 10 boxes of hornady 348 bullets. Same store had these bullets in August when I drove through. Someone here asked about them and said they called and the store owner said they didnt have any. Someone was lying out their azz on that one.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Yeah the stuff is where you find it if you are there when they got it. Local Scheels had 140 bthp 6.5 hornady bullets this AM but at 40.00/100 I didn't see any fights over them. Mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Yeah the stuff is where you find it if you are there when they got it. Local Scheels had 140 bthp 6.5 hornady bullets this AM but at 40.00/100 I didn't see any fights over them. Mb

Just bthp? No eld match? The way its looking is its going to get a lot worse before it gets better. Stores here in northern Nevada have jacked up their prices pretty high. One shop i was in yesterday had a bunch of 22lr on the shelves behind the counter. Bulk boxes of federal hps for $75.00, a box of federal 800 rounds per box for $159.00. I asked if they were selling much at that price and the guy behind the counter said its cheaper than gunbroker. I said good luck, I used to like this shop.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by lotech
How do the 55 grain FMJ bullets shoot? I've never bought any for handloading, but have tried a variety of factory ammo loaded with such bullets (by different makers I presume) and none of them provided better than mediocre accuracy, if that.

The 55gr Hornadys are pretty good shooters as far as FMJ's go. I have never had much luck with any other brand of FMJ in ar's or bolt rifles, but I can get Hornady 55 fmj to shoot around an inch @ 100yds with H335,& AA2015.,
I would never waste my money on other brands, some say Bob's Bullets FMJ's are right up there with Hornady's IDK.
Johnnys reloading bench on You Tube has him shooting them seemed to be doing pretty good in his shoot out.
Hornady sp's are a good cheap bullet if you can find any, they shoot a little tighter.

I would have got him too but a Dad Blam snow flake hit me in da eye....
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Scheels in Reno had 21 boxes of the 69gr SMK. 500/box for $159.99. I bought 1 box. Not the best deal, but not too inflated, like many other shops in the area. I cant believe the damn prices here. The usual response is, "its cheaper than gunbroker ".

BSA MAGA
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Yep, they had 100 boxes of hornady 30 cal 175gr BTHP for $45.00/box. I said, "holy chidt, I better put those back. No wonder there's so many there". The cute young girl there got a kick out of what I said.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I can't think of any circumstance under which I'd buy 55FMJ bullets as components.

Politics is War by Other Means
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Midway has them for ,15 per bullet 55 gr Hornady

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I am still buying stuff I can use but not really hurting for, but not for jacked up or scalper prices. I 've allways worked at keeping stocked up on stuff I use especially when it's there to be bought at a bargain price. I've helped out a few people I know but damn why give a good god damn if others don't care enough about it to take care of their own inventory? I've taken the time to tip off people about the lack of supply and prices for the stuff they use and still they get caught without.. I guess for alot of folks until they get burned more than a few times it just doesn't do any good to tell them that something is hot. Probably damned closet Biden voters anyway.

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Tyrone
I can't think of any circumstance under which I'd buy 55FMJ bullets as components.

They arent my first choice either, but chidt is going to get a lot worse before it gets better. If I run across bullets at a small shop that hasnt raised prices exponentially, im going to buy them. Not a great deal, by any means, but much better than they are going to be. I drove to Reno yesterday to see what a tucked away shop had and the guy has a lot of stuff, but he too has raised his prices. He said hes sold so much on gunbroker that hes thinking about retiring. 200,000 primers at $200.00/brick. Pallets of 9mm ammo, etc etc. He said one thing he didnt have was a bunch of powder. In his shop he had bullets, but they were over priced. $68.00/box of hornady interlocks. I walked out of there with an unopened box of Swift scirocco II 30cal 165gr for $30.00, an old box of 6.5 140gr sierras for $20.00, and a baggie of 100 hornady 150gr 30 cal interlocks for$15.00. He said that was the old price, but he would honor it since he knew me and knew "I drove from Oregon". From what im seeing though is a lot of shops here are charging way more than shops in Oregon, but its just a matter of time before everyone follows suit.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I am still buying stuff I can use but not really hurting for, but not for jacked up or scalper prices. I 've allways worked at keeping stocked up on stuff I use especially when it's there to be bought at a bargain price. I've helped out a few people I know but damn why give a good god damn if others don't care enough about it to take care of their own inventory? I've taken the time to tip off people about the lack of supply and prices for the stuff they use and still they get caught without.. I guess for alot of folks until they get burned more than a few times it just doesn't do any good to tell them that something is hot. Probably damned closet Biden voters anyway.

I agree with you and do exactly the same thing you do. Im very stocked up on stuff as well. What im seeing though makes me worry about whats ahead. I hope everyone here is plenty stocked up because its going to be a bumpy ride for a while.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
Picked up some from Scheels for $11.95, but they only allow two boxes.

Sam......

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Just me but prices the way they are this is the dumbest time to buy bullets etc. ever.

We try like heck to avoid having to.

I hear the hornady fmj shoot ok. But I've never tried and never seen a ball bullet that would do better than about 2moa and I didn't like that. Rather spend a bit more. More accuracy. Terminal performance etc...

But like normal I am making a list for when/if things back to the next new normal. Things I had not thought of last go round. Like 3030 bullets etc...

And God forbid we run out of super colibri again. I swear I'll buy a case of them regardless and a case of CCI prefrag sub sonics this go round. LOL

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Happened a box of 500 hornady for 70 in a pawnshop bought them , too high . Used to giving 9.00 a 100 locally

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Found these in Indiana at the Atterbury Shooting Complex. Ask for John. 500ct for $69.99.

[Linked Image]

Medics bury their mistakes..
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by rost495
Just me but prices the way they are this is the dumbest time to buy bullets etc. ever.

We try like heck to avoid having to.

I hear the hornady fmj shoot ok. But I've never tried and never seen a ball bullet that would do better than about 2moa and I didn't like that. Rather spend a bit more. More accuracy. Terminal performance etc...

But like normal I am making a list for when/if things back to the next new normal. Things I had not thought of last go round. Like 3030 bullets etc...

And God forbid we run out of super colibri again. I swear I'll buy a case of them regardless and a case of CCI prefrag sub sonics this go round. LOL

What is "dumb" is not buying a box of bullets when it's a good deal. In times like these, this is the deal I look for:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
The reason I started this thread was to see how much the 55gr FMJ's sell for, as I never buy them. I'm not out there buying up all the high priced bullets. Those stay on the shelves...

BSA MAGA
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Tyrone

I can't think of any reason to buy any FMJ's other than Hornady's FMJ's. Other makes are total junk, they shoot with Russian steel fmjunk.

I would have got him too but a Dad Blam snow flake hit me in da eye....
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

712 members (10gaugeman, 12344mag, 160user, 163bc, 10ring1, 007FJ, 83 invisible), 2,694 guests, and 1,284 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,732
Posts18,494,843
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.