Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 37 1 2 3 36 37
A
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
Would turning a picatinny rail into a two-piece rail by cutting out the middle be a big mistake? Would it weaken the rail significantly? Seems like an easy way to have a two piece mount but also have inclination (if using a 20 MOA rail).

GB1

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
You’d have to drill the second hole in the front and back spaced to what you need it for your application, and it might require counter sinking a hole or two, three, ... then the screw lengths should be checked to make sure they don’t stick too far down into the action.

BTW make sure - very sure you drill your holes before cutting, use a mill and make sure it’s perfectly parrellel, and that the holes are perfectly centered.
Doing it by eye doesn’t work - if you end up a couple thousands out of line you will end up bending or putting anglular pressure on your scope tube, or pointing the scope to the side ... given you should be using a single hole that already exists, there is more of a chance of bending it.

Normally it’s just cheaper to buy a 2 piece set.
smile

Last edited by Spotshooter; 02/12/21.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Unless you want or need more clearance, I don't see any gain.

From a weight standpoint, a Seekins 20 MOA aluminum S/A rail is only 2.2.ozs.

There are two piece bases out there, unless you have one on hand to hack up.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Spotshooter
You’d have to drill the second hole in the front and back spaced to what you need it for your application, and it might require counter sinking a hole or two, three, ... then the screw lengths should be checked to make sure they don’t stick too far down into the action. smile

Full length rails already have four holes with screws, he just want to hack out the middle.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Not all rails have 4 holes - but sure if it has 4 that are usable... and some may only have 2..

Last edited by Spotshooter; 02/12/21.
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Retaining inclination,while eeking ring spacing and opening the exhaust port...don't aspook me none. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Fhuqk it.

Hint...................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by Spotshooter
Not all rails have 4 holes - but sure if it has 4 that are usable... and some may only have 2..

I’ve never seen a rail that didn’t have four holes and use the holes it has. I had to add or have the smith add a rear base hole on some model sevens. The bases had the holes the receiver didn’t.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
It's not difficult, I have done it for most of my rifles. I don't like rails. All of the metal in the middle is wasted weight, I also like stainless bases on my stainless rifles. You don't need to drill any extra holes. Use a TPS "Base-Bed" jig and you will have perfect base alignment.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Duhh, simply cut the fuucker.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Would cutting the rail into three pieces weaken it?

Do you really need to ask this part? grin

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
IC B3

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Would cutting the rail into three pieces weaken it?

Do you really need to ask this part? grin

Lol

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I'd just buy 2 pc weaver bases.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Warne makes 2 pc bases for almost every rifle made.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
The OP indicated interest in a 20 MOA inclined base. Does Warne and or Weaver offer their 2 piece bases with this feature? RJ

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
You can tell we’re all locked in with the Artic blast.

Yep most if not all picy rails today come with 4 holes (unless they are blanks)

When I said 2 hole scopes rail I was thinking of my Marlin 39A- I had a picy on it but it was too wide, ... and guess what 2 holes.
But those were steel receiver / steel rail... of days gone by... so you don’t see them anymore - Oddly enough (not) people might ask a gunsmith do drill & tap holes in a blank for those.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Spotshooter; 02/15/21.
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Spot why can’t you just tell the man yes? He asked a simple question about cutting the rail in 2 pieces. I think we could all assume he meant order the rail that fits his rifle. Not a blank not extra holes probably not a marlin.

Kinda like asking what time it is and someone explaining how to repair a clock if it was broke.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The Chop is simplistic,straight forward and as cited,grants both inclination and ring spacing advantages,which 2pc systems do not. I enjoy that you Stupid Fhuqks,can fhuqk up crystalline pics,se upon a Silver Platter. Hint.

Even on a POS Fhuqking Teeker,I want the same thing(inclination/ring spacing). The "weight" "difference" of The Chop,is far less than a single loaded round and I personally don't tote rifles at 50% capacity for "weight" "savings" if only obviously,because it's as fhuqking STUPID as it sounds. Depending upon the platform and it's chambering,The Chop can bolster feed/function reliability,due an open exhaust port. Secondly,it can bolster ease in charging the mag well. It likely ain't a fhuqking "fluke" to drive The Chop on a CRF 6BR,wearing a shoehorned 'box. Google it. Hint. LAUGHING!

For fhuqking Teekers,I certainly want to catch the recoil stop index pin hole,along with adding inclination. Hint.

If only to touch upon another GLARING obvious,that Window Lickers reliably miss,that EVERYTHING on the erector travel below zero is 100% fhuqking USELESS. let that marinate. Google it. hint. LAUGHING!

"Surprisingly" I've a "few" 39's too and none have had a rail that was "too wide". How/where do you Drooling DUMB Fhuqks DREAM this schit up?!? I also enjoy that steel is now "rare" too!! Hint LAUGHING!

Bless your hearts,for doing your best though.

Hint.

LAUGHING!................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Big Stick
The "weight" "difference" of The Chop,is far less than a single loaded round and I personally don't tote rifles at 50% capacity for "weight" "savings" if only obviously,because it's as fhuqking STUPID as it sounds.

The idea of you going for "weight savings" on any equipment or gear before you get your own fat ass down to 2 chins or less is the funniest thing I've heard in a long, long time.

Remember the free tip to lose weight Sticky:

Walk........

.........away from the fridge.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Hoalie,

You MAGNIFICENTLY Whining Clueless Fhuqk,how many times have you thought about me already today...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Kudos on your innate ability,to interject your exceedingly WELL founded Insecurities and "Victimization",as you feverishly read my EVERY word and gawk EVERY Splendid Pixel,as you "live" vicariously and Ranch Retards. Hint. LAUGHING!

"Slow" day yesterday and yet another for "your" album. Scurry about gathering pop cans,as a down payment on your FIRST Fhuqking Clue. Hint. LAUGHING!

Fortunately for you,Imagination and Pretend are free,so you can "afford" to "contribute". Hint. LAUGHING!

Bless your poor poor(literally) heart,as set aboard your Couchbound Kchunt.

Hint.

LAUGHING!.......................

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Hoalie,

You MAGNIFICENTLY Whining Clueless Fhuqk,how many times have you thought about me already today...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Kudos on your innate ability,to interject your exceedingly WELL founded Insecurities and "Victimization",as you feverishly read my EVERY word and gawk EVERY Splendid Pixel,as you "live" vicariously and Ranch Retards. Hint. LAUGHING!

"Slow" day yesterday and yet another for "your" album. Scurry about gathering pop cans,as a down payment on your FIRST Fhuqking Clue. Hint. LAUGHING!

Fortunately for you,Imagination and Pretend are free,so you can "afford" to "contribute". Hint. LAUGHING!

Bless your poor poor(literally) heart,as set aboard your Couchbound Kchunt.

Hint.

LAUGHING!.......................

Stick,

Again, a dude that's 5'4"and 250+ probably shouldn't call others "couch bound"

I hope you had a great Valentine's Day, oh, wait, I forgot, your wife left you........

Anyhow, keep up the good work. If you hammer the Cheetos like you hammer that keyboard, a 5th chin can go from dream to reality by spring!!!!!

Page 1 of 37 1 2 3 36 37

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

106 members (7887mm08, 35, 44mc, 7x57Hunter, Algotguns, Akhutr, 6 invisible), 1,461 guests, and 913 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,758
Posts18,476,417
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.