Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by huntsman22
It takes NO time to fling a mitten off.....

If a finger mitten isn’t going to be warm enough, I like merino or polypropylene liner gloves inside a heavier mitten.

History May Not Repeat, But it Rhymes.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I like to dress my hands in layers, just like the rest of my clothing- a thin liner glove, an insulated mitten and a waterproof/windproof mitt shell- some times it's just the glove, sometimes its the liner and the shell and sometimes it's all three. I've never found a "one glove" solution for cold weather

Sitka Ascent gloves
Enlightened Equipment Stronghold insulated mitts (Apex insulation)
Outdoor Research Goretex shell mitts

T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
Most of my hunting gloves are Surplus. I especially like the three finger mittens and I have modified my wrist strap on my bow release and shoot any gun just fine with them. Extra wool liners and I keep the leather oiled.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by mtwarden
I like to dress my hands in layers, just like the rest of my clothing- a thin liner glove, an insulated mitten and a waterproof/windproof mitt shell- some times it's just the glove, sometimes its the liner and the shell and sometimes it's all three. I've never found a "one glove" solution for cold weather

Sitka Ascent gloves

Yep.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by longarm
What gloves are you using when hunting in snow?

Waterproof and insulated but not so bulky that they need to be removed to operate the gun..

Did you find what you were looking for?
This weather we are having isn't really the same as when you asked.

It does bring to mind that there's season over clearance sales now. You might find a big selection at half the cost. I'd call around and check online.
One thing I can say is that everyone is different. Some of us don't hunt in very cold weather and others will sit in the rain if it means it might clear up. Some are in canada and others Arizona.

I like thin polypropylene or merino bow gloves that can be liners in wool flip mittens when real cold. Little movement is required for glittens or flip mitts . Others like em too from reading. Dexterity vs warmth is the trade off for everything hunting. Thats why bulky ski gloves aren't always first choice. I have camo goretex though. Prefer the other.

Later

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Tag

Do or do not, there is no try.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Sitka Ascent gloves

Thanks for the tip on the EES mitts.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Lonny

Sitka Ascent gloves

Thanks for the tip on the EES mitts.

"100" fleece EES is minimal protection.

GET a mitten or glove "system".

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
the Enlightened Equipment mitts come in 2 oz, 4 oz and 6 oz Apex insulation. I use the 2 oz for earlier season and the 4 oz for late season, if I ever decide to go hunt musk ox, I'll pick up the 6 oz ones laugh

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Definitely thinking of a system Joe. While I haven't looked too hard, I'd just never found a mitt that I liked much until mtwarden shared the EES mitts. Price ain't bad either. 4 oz looks like what I'd need.

Thanks for the suggestions gents.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Interesting thread. The OP asks for suggestions on insulated waterproof gloves and responses are mittens

Early on I followed the example of my elders and wore wool or leather mittens in the coldest conditions. When it came time to shoot, bite down on the mitten and pull. With that motion, sometimes you were lucky enough the game was still there to shoot. One day one of my uncles came to camp with a trigger-finger army surplus mitten. The next season most of the camp had them, but modified them because they were somewhat bulky in the trigger guards of the Savage 99s and Win 94s. The trigger fingers were softened up and made more pliable with harness oil, neatsfoot oil or mink oil. This seemed to work because these hunters were not walking around with 2-3# trigger pulls. I bought a pair, but did not treat with oil. They worked fine thru the trigger guard of my 1924 VZ24 7x57 mm.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

One fall I dropped off my big game hides at a tannery in Berlin, WI and noticed some buckskin flannel lined trigger-finger mittens. I bought 10 pair for me and guys at deer camp. Very soft and pliable more so then army surplus. No problem stuffing them thru trigger guards. During coldest conditions I used a polypropylene liner.

Fast forward a few years and I came across Gates-Mills insulated and waterproof gloves. I have the 60gr and 100gr Thinsulate ones. Rocky bought out the company in 2003 or 2004 and that is where I bought the last 60gr pair. I don't like the top of the wrist strap/buckle and cut it off.

https://www.rockyboots.com/rocky/wh...d-waterproof-outdoor-gloves/HW00256.html

Last edited by roundoak; 03/29/21.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Being from MN. I am well versed in "hand wear". From active events to stand hunting you need a well rounded array of gloves, mittens, wool liners, silk liners and a couple of waterproof styles. Search and buy quality - on sale. If you are really susceptible to cold weather - don't forget the chemical hand warmers too! The bottom line is there is no excuse for cold hands.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Get these (or equivalent) and be done with it:

https://www.outdoorresearch.com/us/mens-alti-mitts-243284

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SheriffJoe

The OP asked about waterproof and insulated gloves and you come up with mittens ???

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by roundoak
Originally Posted by SheriffJoe

The OP asked about waterproof and insulated gloves and you come up with mittens ???

Yeah, because I know wtf I'm talking about. Did you read my post on page 1 above that, dmfk?? Damn, you're stupid. Keep that toe tag in your pocket.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
GET a mitten or glove "system". What glove "system" would you care to share?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by roundoak
GET a mitten or glove "system". What glove "system" would you care to share?

https://sectionhiker.com/winter-hiking-and-mountaineering-glove-systems/

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
If I am walking and hunting most anything gore tex with insulation would be plenty. If I am sitting on a stand. I wear wool army liners and use a cabelas fleece muff. I have done some stand hunts under 10 degrees on windy days and my hands are fine.
One thing to keep your hands and feet warmer is to wear something to keep your face head and neck warm. Most heat loss is from the neck up.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Lots of good options with Seal Skinz.
https://www.sealskinzusa.com/collections/gloves?page=2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have been searching for the ultimate glove for years, myself. I have tried the Cabela's Stand Hunter Gloves for when it is -20 or colder, and many, many brands of insulated leather gloves, neoprene as well as synthetics when it is roughly -20 to 30 above. Military surplus cold weather gloves with and without wool liners, and then some. I am still searching.

I have never been able to accurately shoot with any kind of glove on. I just don't have the feeling or nerves in my fingertips that some folks do I guess.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

59 members (14idaho, 6mmCreedmoor, 3dtestify, 10gaugemag, 406_SBC, 12 invisible), 1,453 guests, and 742 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,726
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.