Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by deflave
Killa,

If you are looking for a free python expedition you may get lucky but it will involve just that. Luck.

If nobody responds on here I would PM JeffA. He is a snake aficionado and very familiar with that AOR.

You could of course rent a boat and hope for the best.

JeffA probably not a bad idea. He probably knows somebody. I can check with my buddy who is a fishing guide in The Glades.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
GB1

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Look up “Python Cowboy” aka Trapper Mike. He catches and kills a bunch of invasive stuff. I follow him on Instagram and he recently posted he isn’t chasing pythons right now because it is too warm making them too active and they’re breeding. Last year he caught a state record 17’ 7” ~135lb python by hand! He does offer guided iguana hunts that look like a blast.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Iguana's are everywhere down there. I was Peacock Bass fishing this time last year, and had to beat them away every bridge I stopped at. Most of them were north of 41 and on the east side of the Glades, around Rt. 27 . I had never given much thought as intentionally looking for snakes, as I try to do my best and avoid them. If I was going to try and find one, I'd start down off 41,around the 29 intersection near Carnestown and Ochopee. There's a road called Turner River Road, going north off Hwy 41 that goes through parts of Big Cypress. I would think if you got off in those woods and did some walking you'd have as good of chance as anywhere. Talking with folks that follow the locations many are caught at, told us most of the largest ones are coming West of 29, and north of 41. I imagine by now a lot of the food sources where they originated to the East, are getting depleted by now, forcing them to travel more and spread out.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by nimrod1949
Look up “Python Cowboy” aka Trapper Mike. He catches and kills a bunch of invasive stuff. I follow him on Instagram and he recently posted he isn’t chasing pythons right now because it is too warm making them too active and they’re breeding. Last year he caught a state record 17’ 7” ~135lb python by hand! He does offer guided iguana hunts that look like a blast.

Guided iguana hunts? smile

Hell, Flave could do that, within a mile radius or less from his house. Lol.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There goes one now.....

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by local_dirt

Guns are dangerous. You'll shoot your eye out. smile

[Linked Image]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by JeffA

Guns are dangerous. You'll shoot your eye out. smile

[Linked Image]

Lol.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I would be interested is doing this with a bow, only if a wild Heifer tag was included.

LOL

🦫

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Beaver10
I would be interested is doing this with a bow, only if a wild Heifer tag was included.

LOL

🦫

Of course you meant to mention that it would be a traditional longbow.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 5sdad
Originally Posted by Beaver10

LOL

🦫

Of course you meant to mention that it would be a traditional longbow.

Absolutely !

And, I would Post up all the details, including pictures of this dangerous game hunt in the *BowHunting* sub forum.

😬🦫

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
IC B3

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by 5sdad
Unless you have access to a flats boat, bass boat, Swamp Buggy, airboat, etc you are wasting your time. The guys that hunt them for money will contract out their boat, Swamp Buggy, whatever to you for half a day for $375 to $500. And they will take you everywhere looking for them.. except where they hunt them. Lol.

Now, If you have a friend in the area with a boat or Swamp Buggy, it's a whole different story.

If you come every year for five years or more, will they start to take you to the spots where you really have a chance at getting something?

Only if you contract per snake caught/killed.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by jbmi
I've alway wondered why they catch them alive, is that the only way to collect the bounty ?
Me, I'd do the same thing they do with gaters, 410 into the head, dead snake, $$ in the pocket.

I don’t know why they catch them bare handed.

I’d use a friggin’s net or a pole with a rope loop on the end or some type of looooong pinchers.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by killahog
I will be in Labelle Florida for a week fishing and would like to go out and find a Python if anyone is in the area or could give me a few tips I would appreciate it.

Been pondering of a way to reply to your request.

You already have your plans made to stay and fish in Labelle, not a bad choice if you are fishing the Caloosahatchee River.

Best I can say is the next time you go to make South Florida plans try booking with http://evergladesadventuretours.net/ .

There is considerably more variety to their fishing options plus things like this might happen along the way.

These guys have many irons in the fire in order to make a living in such a remote region, stop by their headquarters and take a look at the snakes they have in captivity. They will be about a one hour drive from Labelle directly south on 29.

You'll find maps, photos and reviews here.
After visiting there, you'll be aware of what those snakes look like and if they like you, they might even let you play with one and take a couple photos. Right now they have a 22 foot Python caged, but Pythons aren't the only snakes that lurk in those swamps, you may run into an Anaconda as well.

You might want to check out the accommodations they offer while your there so you know what you'd be getting into if you ever decide to book with them. What they offer isn't for everyone, there is nothing fancy, you'll either love it or hate it.

[Linked Image from cf.bstatic.com]

Enjoy your time in Florida, where ever it might take you.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
My eyes now require bleach..... eek

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I will be in Labelle Florida for a week fishing and would like to go out and find a Python if anyone is in the area or could give me a few tips I would appreciate it.

You already have your plans made to stay and fish in Labelle, not a bad choice if you are fishing the Caloosahatchee River.

Best I can say is the next time you go to make South Florida plans try booking with http://evergladesadventuretours.net/ .

There is considerably more variety to their fishing options plus things like this might happen along the way.

These guys have many irons in the fire in order to make a living in such a remote region, stop by their headquarters and take a look at the snakes they have in captivity. They will be about a one hour drive from Labelle directly south on 29.

After visiting there, you'll be aware of what those snakes look like and if they like you, they might even let you play with one and take a couple photos. Right now they have a 22 foot Python caged, but Pythons aren't the only snakes that lurk in those swamps, you may run into an Anaconda as well.

You might want to check out the accommodations they offer while your there so you know what you'd be getting into if you ever decide to book with them. What they offer isn't for everyone, there is nothing fancy, you'll either love it or hate it.

Knew you would have an alternative option. smile

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
People trying to catch pythons alive remind me of a Gump quote. “Stupid is as stupid does.”

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Knew you would have an alternative option. smile

It takes a trained eye to find those snakes.
Your looking for a camouflaged stick or log in a jungle full of camouflaged sticks and logs.

They just kind lay there, they don't move much.

It's about as difficult getting started finding these snakes as it was when I first set out to photograph the wild orchids in the Everglades.

I like to never figured out how to spot an orchid, after a couple years I gave in and hired a couple different guides. First guide I hired was Mike Owen he'd spent 25 years in those swamps recording every detail relating to the wild orchids. It requires learning from those with such knowledge.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by fester
Do they taste good?

They taste kind of like spotted owl.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by TheBigSky
Do they taste good?

They taste kind of like spotted owl...

Or gray wolf.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by TheBigSky
Do they taste good?

They taste kind of like spotted owl...

Or gray wolf.

Or Key Deer

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

68 members (alffe, 6mmCreedmoor, anothergun, 375sunrise, 14 invisible), 828 guests, and 891 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,977
Posts18,519,909
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.