-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Did the same with mine. I found it can even be blocked in the fire position with the little Allen screw inside - effectively diabling it. The Hammer totally suffices in the half cock position as a safety.

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

GB1

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
Ive never met Ed but have certainly read a lot about him. Did meet his son a few years back and was going to go up and guide a hunt for him but the hunter ended up canceling. Levers have always been popular with guides in both Canada and Alaska. My personal favourite is a Marlin 444. Never had an issue in decades of use.

N
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N
I, too, am left-handed and shoot acceptably well other handed. I also hunt in heavily forested, severely vertical terrain where big bore revolvers and non-optically sighted long guns are perhaps more useful than telescopically sighted turn bolt rifles.

Regarding traditional lever actions' gas handling compared with bolt actions, lever rifles shooting rimmed cartridges have a demonstrable advantage compared with rifles shooting rimless cartridges because of inherently tighter headspacing on rimmed cartridges. Better, tighter, headspace translates to fewer opportunities for case failures and no worse than comparable protection were such failure to occur. I became convinced this conclusion was accurate when reading Hatcher's Notebook. Mr. Hatcher describes steel used for Krag receivers and bolts was the same steel used in first iteration Springfield made Model 1903 receivers. He identifies these first Springfield receivers as having the identical heat treat as Krag receivers and bolts. At that point he mentions the Camp Perry (I think???) episode of multiple 1903 actions failing, . . . and then mentions that (at the time of writing the book in 1948) no Krag receiver had ever failed. Bolts? Yes. But never a receiver. I attribute this to two factors: inherently better control of cartridge case; and lower cartridge operating pressure. Since my lever rifles function at no more than 30-40 Krag cartridge pressures, I feel comfortable disregarding my second named factor.

Regarding cleaning a rifle dropped in the muck, this is the reason I found the Youtuber's 1895 mud test, and that wartime use of substantial numbers of 1895 rifles, to be reassuring. In the absence of my replicating the test with my specific hunting rifle, I'll continue to exercise as much care as I can to avoid dropping it in the winter muck of partly melted snowy forest bed.

Oh yes. the back-up rifle back in camp is but marginally helpful when you and it are beyond arms length — hunting.

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act. George Orwell
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Theres an old book titled The Grizzly Bear. In it the author is very impressed by the performance on grizzly from the then new 30-40 cartridge or 30 US. He used an Hi Wall 45-100 but i believe his companion used the 1895 in 30-40 and he notes the extebzive damage by the high velocity cartridge.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak
[...]This bear encounter bull sht is so incessant on this forum, its thicker than the alders Ed Stevenson hunted in.

This I know, Ed would have laughed at. Very funny and just his humour. He was happy with his levers and was also very happy, when someone was happy with their choice - even if it differed from his.

Only time I saw Ed unhappy, apart from being "outside", which, to his mind began as soon as you started meeting people, was when people were not happy hunting in his backyard.

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

IC B2

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

305 members (1badf350, 16penny, 10gaugeman, 1eyedmule, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 40 invisible), 2,460 guests, and 1,265 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,492
Posts18,472,035
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.