Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
If you’re fortunate, maybe you’ll avoid all the Chinese tourists this year due to China Flu. Unbelievable! They’re not housebroke.

GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by MadMooner
I'm sure weather can be contentious in late May, and the flowers may not be out, but I'm also sure I want no part of the crowds in July. Lol.

As it stands, most everything(campgrounds) is already booked full in May. I'll look at mid Sept.

Thanks all!

You're trading front end risk for back end risk. The weather in mid September can be great or it can be the chits. And FYI, the crowds are the same in mid September as they are earlier in the year. The park doesn't thin out until mid October. Then I can assure you, you will have some bad weather. Last year was unusual in that all three Montana entrances to the park were closed until June 1. That held the early visits down to some fairly low numbers. But when people started coming they came in droves. I drove down to West to fish about the 15th of June and traffic was lined up 1.5 miles north of town and more than a mile west of town. Ive been around YNP for 50+ years and I've never seen that much traffic trying to get in the west gate. I doubt it will be that bad this summer because the park will open on time this year assuming it doesn't snow a ton in mid April. They schedule the west gate to open April 15 every year. September can be a great time to visit but you can run into some tough weather.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Yellowstone is great anytime of the year! It’s my favorite place on the planet. In late May, expect to see some snow, plenty of rain and plenty of wildlife showing off their babies. Rivers and streams will be at max snow run off which causes some issues with hiking certain trails. I love the north east corner of the Park because of the wildlife and fishing. You cannot beat a day spent up Slough Creek or the Lamar River Valley. My favorite time of year is late July and into August for the dry fly fishing opportunities. You guys will have a great time whatever you do out there.

Mackey

Mackey
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Originally Posted by MadMooner
I'm sure weather can be contentious in late May, and the flowers may not be out, but I'm also sure I want no part of the crowds in July. Lol.

As it stands, most everything(campgrounds) is already booked full in May. I'll look at mid Sept.

Thanks all!
We always enjoyed going late in Sept. Not as many people, kids back in school the lodges are running out of food if that matters. Bears stocking up for the winter so many sightings. Cody is also a hoot. Hard to allow enough time to see all you want to see.

Elevation is math
Windage is Voodoo
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Stayed in Cody and drove in everyday for 2 weeks. Had a pass for all parks that year was well worth it. People in Cody very nice it was quite a few years ago. Two 9 year old and a 12 year old. had a blast. Took two months off and did it all in the west. June and July. Have fun

IC B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Joezone
Originally Posted by Higginez
Beartooth pass is awesome and I'd suggest putting it high on the list but May might be too early.

It is indeed high, about 11,000 feet above sea level!:) A beautiful drive. I have a sister who is afraid of heights and she was more or less hyperventilating while driving over it but wouldn't let me take the wheel. I'll never go over it again with her driving:)

We drove Bear Tooth Pass on May 15 and for 11 miles, it was solid snow and ice. I sure was wishing I was in my pickup with the studded snow tires.
I am from the South, sure didn't expect to see that kind of snow in May.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Usually the pass is still being plowed that time of year and not open. There have been years that it opens early, only to be closed again until Memorial Day or after.

The main thing about going to the Park early is have another plan in case the pass is closed. It does snow every month up there . Also.if you are going from Red Lodge MT t
to the park you usually will be able to drive up to the 9000+ viewing and rest area before having to turn around.

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
If you take the highway up to the east gate in winter you will often see Bighorn Sheep Bison Elk and Mule Deer. It is less than a 90 minutes from my house so something to do in winter. When the gates open in spring can be a good time to go as well as after mid September on until closing of the east gate. In summer a bear sighting is worse traffic than rush hour in any big city. Cody and the museum is a nice side trip as is the Cody Night Rodeo. Tetons are worth a trip as is the bear tooth pass. The pass can close a few days in June or Sep if we get an early snow or late snow. Some women this past summer borrowed a car with stick shift and parked to get out and take some photos. The car rolled and went down about 600 feet of hill.
I have never had any great food in the park other than the ice cream cones at Old Faithfull. Have heard the campgrounds in the park require advance reservation unless lucky. I also know they can be hard to find in surrounding towns depending on time of year. Many great sights in the park, too bad for the crowds.

I

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

543 members (160user, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 1234, 10gaugemag, 61 invisible), 3,390 guests, and 1,244 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,711
Posts18,534,910
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.