-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
During WWII, Dad, his mother and sisters, went to California to work in the ship yards. While walking down a street one day, they met a neighbor that lived about a 1/2 mile from them in Louisiana.

While working on the BP Oilspill, I was assigned to work in Alabama. Spent a year at one place and became good friends with a fellow and his wife. This fellow also met my wife, but the wives were never there at the same time. While my wife was visiting an aunt in Tx, the aunt commented that she had a cousin, and this cousins husband was working the Spill in Alabama. My wife asked where the man worked and was told the same place I worked. My wife mentioned my friends name and wanted to know if it might be him, and it was.

In the early 2000's, I had a job that required me to travel a lot, mostly flying around the country. I flew so much, that I dont remember where I was, but I was at an airport one day and some soldiers walked up and sat next to me. After a bit, there were 7 or 8 of them and they were from different places, but catching a plane to their new assignment. They were introducing themselves to each other and one of the black guys said he was from Woodville, Ms. Woodville is the next town over from where I lived and nobody from that part of the country pronounces it like it is spelled. Home folks pronounce it Wolvul. So I just said out of the blue, "He's lying, he's not from Wolvul". They all turned, looked surprised, but a big grin came over the young man's face and he asked where i was from. I told him Centreville, pronounced by home folks as Sinnervul. He laughed and told the rest of the group that we were from neighboring towns and only someone from that area would know how to pronounce it the way we did.

Again while working, I was in SeaTac one day when a fellow walked up to me and called me by name. It took a minute, but it was a fellow I worked with back in the early 70's. He was headed to Alaska.

I was doing a job in Portsmouth, NH and ran into my BIL. He was working at SeaBrook. Both of us live in Louisiana.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My son and his wife are foster parents. So, I know how much time, effort, sacrifice, AND love go into doing it. They are still young, and the kids they've had are still too young to know any thing about what has been going on, but I know how much they appreciate getting information on the kids they've fostered, If I were you, I'd let the people know.

F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
Originally Posted by undisputedshotz
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Went out to visit some friends the other day.

They live probably 10 miles south west of us.

We were bullshitting and for some reason we got to talking about relatives and lineage.

I mentioned that I had recently found some letters that my foster mother had written to whoever was to adopt me.

I was in the foster system for a while in Helena Montana.

I told them that I had figured out who my foster parents were, and was thinking about sending them a letter. If for nothing else to let her know that it turned out okay for me.

Long story short.....the gal we were visiting just happened to be former roomates and current friends with the granddaughter of my foster mother.

She knew it instantly when I mentioned the last name....which is fairly uncommon.

Was kind of neat.

Anyone got a "small world" story?

Beautiful story, I'm happy for you man.

Beautiful story, I'm happy for you man.

Arise America...
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Had a hot classmate in Berlin, Germany in the summer of 1994. She was from New Mexico. Three years later, in 1997, I was sitting in a small bar in Corpus Christi with my friends, and she walked in the door.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Ran into a a guy that I played high school football with coming out of the chow hall at Torrejón Air Base in Madrid. He didn't know I had joined the AF, I didn't know he got an appointment to the Airforce Academy. Heard he truned into a pretty good F-15 pilot...

IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
My wife and I were in Rome, Italy a few years ago and overheard a conversation among others nearby. We were curious and joined the conversation to learn that one of them was a school principal in Ohio whose daughter was best friends with Liz, a payroll secretary I'd hired years before about 300 miles away. Interestingly, Liz had gone to college in PA and met her PA husband, liking his home town (Wellsboro, PA) enough to get married there instead of her home town - just like my wife and I. The small world continues - it turns out my wife and Liz had been on the same plane on their high school trip to France back in 1980.

Another one comes to mind. We were antiquing on our way back from a long weekend trip and found a stock certificate from an old telephone company from about 100 years ago. The company name was bold and drew my interest since it was from a very small northern PA town - Roulette. When I looked more closely, that certificate was in my Great Grandfather's name. How it got in an antique shop 250 miles away, I'll never know, but it's in my home now.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Was up in Akron Ohio and had a limo driver once, shooting the bull and asked where I was from. I said Macon, Ga. He told me he was stationed and Camp Wheeler before the war. Sort of cool considering the age difference at the time.

Last edited by killerv; 02/16/21.
J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
I got in a cab in Ft. Benning, Georgia in 91’.
The cab driver started asking us boys where we were from. When I said Bedford, Indiana the guy looks around at me and says,”I was in Vietnam with a guy from Bedford, Indiana”.
I say, “It’s a small town. I may know him. What was his name?”
He says, “ Dennis Trowbridge.”
I about fell out of the cab. It was my uncle.
I gave the guy my uncles phone number and he called Uncle Dennis and they ended up talking quite frequently. It had been 23 years since they had seen each other.
When my aunt and uncle moved to Phoenix City, Alabama in 98, he and my uncle would get together and have breakfast.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

We were bullshitting and for some reason we got to talking about relatives and lineage.

I mentioned that I had recently found some letters that my foster mother had written to whoever was to adopt me.

I told them that I had figured out who my foster parents were, and was thinking about sending them a letter. If for nothing else to let her know that it turned out okay for me.

Long story short.....the gal we were visiting just happened to be former roomates and current friends with the granddaughter of my foster mother.

She knew it instantly when I mentioned the last name....which is fairly uncommon.

Was kind of neat.

Did the letters reveal how your Forster parents had procured you?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Most of you know the "small world " story Jim Martin [aka ET] and I share from our battlefield encounter in SEA ..I have others with discovering family tree members but our encounter especially here at the Fire some 41 yrs later was truly remarkable !

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
IC B3

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
If you want to see a small world visit Kaycee, Wyoming on Fathers Day.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
J
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by JeffA

Was kind of neat.

Did the letters reveal how your Forster parents had procured you?

No.

We knew that however.

The Nuns at Catholic Social Services.

I am MAGA.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
In about 1984 I was in Singapore attending a gas turbine school and was almost back to the Mandarin Hotel when a taxi passed by me and stopped at the front door area and with a pair of cowboy boots hanging out of the driver’s side back window.

I walked around by the passenger side and the driver was trying to wake his passenger up to get out. I looked in and knew the guy very well and finally got him to sit up. Drunk as a pissant.

When his eyes finally focused he said, “ Hey, Ole Podnah, what the f’k are you doing here in Jakarta?”

I told him, “Bellue, Ole Buddy, you’re in Singapore not Jakarta “.

Bellue yelled at the driver, “Get me the f’k back to the airport right now “. Then said, “I’ll see ya later, Man “.

Years later I ran into him again in Dubai. We had a good laugh about that.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nothing as amazing as some of the stories here, but...

About a year ago, the little church we attend had a dedication service, (we moved to a new location) and a representative from the group of churches that we belong to came to give a sermon and help with the dedication. He sat in the pew in front of me and at one point, turned his head and I was a little shocked to see that I recognized him. His family an mine had ridden the same school bus as kids and into high school. That was a couple hundred miles and 30+ years ago.

We had a good chat after his sermon, which was very good. He's pretty gifted in that regard.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Never ever send a letter . Just buy liquor

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
THERE ARE NO COINCIDENCES
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Old_Toot
In about 1984 I was in Singapore attending a gas turbine school and was almost back to the Mandarin Hotel when a taxi passed by me and stopped at the front door area and with a pair of cowboy boots hanging out of the driver’s side back window.

I walked around by the passenger side and the driver was trying to wake his passenger up to get out. I looked in and knew the guy very well and finally got him to sit up. Drunk as a pissant.

When his eyes finally focused he said, “ Hey, Ole Podnah, what the f’k are you doing here in Jakarta?”

Bellue yelled at the driver, “Get me the f’k back to the airport right now “. Then said, “I’ll see ya later, Man “.

That sounds like the apex of your life.

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
THERE ARE NO COINCIDENCES
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by deflave
Yeah that happens a lot in Montana.

Usually at the most inopportune times.

"I used to fugk her."

"That's my wife."

(run for door)

That happens everywhere, that’s my sister you MFer. I’m gonna whip yo ass!!!!

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I didn’t mean to fuuck her!!

Last edited by hanco; 02/16/21.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by BobBrown
Originally Posted by Old_Toot

That sounds like the apex of your life.

Actually, Flave, the apex was watching you finger your self while drunk one of the many drunk nights that you were in full bloom.

Memorable.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by BobBrown
Never ever send a letter . Just buy liquor

Via Ruckkus.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

594 members (160user, 222Sako, 240NMC, 1lessdog, 257 roberts, 17CalFan, 64 invisible), 2,266 guests, and 1,280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,285
Posts18,486,876
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.