Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by BobBrown
Turn heat up . Get heat to any lines possible

This dad gum it global warming is for Oregon
No global warming there. We just got home from Portland to Twin Falls, ID. Normal 9 to 10 hrs, this time it took 14. I-84 was closed near Hood River by snow and in the Blues by a 20 car/truck pileup. We ended up going north over White Pass in WA. That added 150 - 200 miles and 4 hrs by the time it was over. The Blues were open by the time we got back from the detour but it was plenty slick. It was easy running from La Grande on south and east.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I leave the heat at a decent temperature, open the cabinets under all the sinks and run the water at a trickle in my bathroom and kitchen sink.

Progressives are the most open minded, tolerant, and inclusive people on the planet, as long as you agree with everything they say, and do exactly as you're told.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Windfall
Open all the doors under the sinks and let the faucets do a steady small stream of water. a little higher water bill is nothing compared to broken frozen pipes. Good luck to all you Southern guys. Global warming you say? I've never seen the jet stream dipping down this low.

Has to have done it before. This is not the coldest weather TX has seen. We had 9. I"ve seen 3. But all dripping. Outside ones wrapped and covered no hoses on em.

Never know till it thaws but our house is plumbed in the attic with CPVC. Wife double covered the pipes with the stick insulaiotn years ago. Then put R30 bats on top of it. Sitting on R19 bats. I think we will survive.

But if its frozen nd you can't get it going right away with heat, then as noted best is shut down water totally and drain what you can, even if you open things and nothing comes out open if you can.

Be careful and ready for a flood later when you turn it back on.

Good luck. Dont get caught again.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Expose whatever you can buy opening cupboards, access holes in the wall etc, crank the heat up in the house, put electric heaters in the cupboards, and turn hot and cold water on.

Keep things moving. Flush the toilets throughout the day, open your faucets and let them flow, then turn them back to a trickle.

Good luck and pray nothing broke.

-Jake

Small Game, Deer, Turkey, Bear, Elk....It's what's for dinner.

If you know how many guns you own... you don't own enough.

In God We Trust.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by JakeBlues
I leave the heat at a decent temperature, open the cabinets under all the sinks and run the water at a trickle in my bathroom and kitchen sink.
Helps to place a fan in front of the open cabinet to blow warm air from the room into the cabinet.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The number of RVs that will need water line repairs will be staggering!
Hope you Texans warm up soon. Do you not install furnaces down there???

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by kenjs1
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Dripping the hot water taps will circulate water through the hot water feeder line. At this point I would run the clothes washer, might be a good time to do laundry 🙂

Ok- heard I should run cold water instead - hot makes more sense. I did at least think of the washing and did it all before the sub freezing stuff hit. Am worried about the pipes for the washer though.

Unhooking the lines and dribbling them into a sink would be easier than running the machine but that’s prob’ly not doable most houses. If I were worried I’d just keep running the machine.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by deflave
Kill the water to your house and drain all lines to the best of your ability.

deflave knows, ain’t gonna be good when it thaws out.

Fill five gallon buckets to flush your toilets.

I turned mine off, drained lines yesterday

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Toddly

Furnaces need power, no? I have my insert burning oak but w/o electricity the fan can't run so a good hit in heating capability.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I picked up a space heater Thursday am, and I got lucky, space heaters will be scarcer than ammunition in Texas right now.

I do have a gas stove and have it on, no reason not to, my house does have good ventilation 🙂

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
IC B3

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by JamesJr
Pray for warmer weather. Not trying to be a smartazz, but the time to worry about is before they freeze. Afterwards is too late

I didn't take that as smart assed.

I took it as dumb assed.

Salvage what you can while you can.

Put a hair dryer to suspected low spots if you have to.

Run the stove with the ghetto style.

Open any and all barrier to pipes.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by EdM
Originally Posted by Toddly

Furnaces need power, no? I have my insert burning oak but w/o electricity the fan can't run so a good hit in heating capability.

These don't need power to operate. They make a lot of sense...can use gas or propane.

Last edited by Ghostinthemachine; 02/15/21.
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Got the fireplace going, got a bunch of wood.

F
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
F
Saw this coming last week. Drove down to my cabin. Water turned off. Drained lines as best as I could (opened up faucets and drained system at low outdoor spigot). Left hot water heater on (guess I could have drained it, but once the water gets hot, it’ll stay warm for days). Flushed the toilets (drained tanks as low as they would go). Used a plunger to push a little extra water out of the bowls (still enough there to block sewer gas).

Poured RV antifreeze into all sink drains, toilet bowls, toilet tanks. Turned on three space heaters.

Hopefully, the space heaters will keep it warm enough in there, but did the other stuff for inevitable power outage. Will hope it did the trick.

A low of -3, and 6 straight days of nothing but sub-freezing temps, is rough (in Texas).

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Nor do either of these.
We chose to not be reliant on electricity for heat for a reason.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com] [Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

FJB & FJT
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Biden will take care of us

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Also, check and see if there any vents / openings leaking cold air inside the foundation / basement especially if any of your waterlines are near. If possible close them off as best you can and use some type of heat source on waterlines closest to coldest areas.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by OldmanoftheSea
Open your other faucets to a trickle.
Flowing water won't freeze as easily and may help thaw the frozen spot
Ur lady got hair dryer?

Some stores sell "heat trace" essentially high resistance extension cords.

This is the best advice.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I use one of those electric oil radiators in my back room. Doesn’t cost much and keeps the dog warm.

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
There is gonna be pipes broken everywhere in Houston area, plumbers making a fortune if they can get parts to make repairs

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

514 members (22250rem, 1936M71, 10gaugeman, 219 Wasp, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 52 invisible), 1,789 guests, and 1,143 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,104
Posts18,522,429
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.