See? smile

I drew goat, wife drew bench ‘bou .
WOOT!

Originally Posted by ironbender
Nuttin here.

Da fugg ?

There's 2 of him!

Oh, the horror!

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
GB1

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by bearhuntr
Dang it! Didn’t get a Bear, Moose, Bison, Sheep or a Goat again!!!😡

Just practicing my response😉

Glad I practiced . . . The above is exactly what I didn’t get😂

"You've been here longer than the State of Alaska is old!"
*** my Grandaughters

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by T_Inman
Originally Posted by 907brass
I drew....nothing of course.

However my dad drew DM783 (Richardson hwy moose). It'll be his first moose if he's successful.
This one's a muzzleloader or archery only tag. Does anyone know if I'd be able to back him up with a follow-up shot as long I also had a muzzleloader/bow?

I drew that same hunt.
Unless your old man has some sort of legal handicap I am almost 100% the answer is no. Even if he does have a handicap the answer is likely no, unless it is a DLP kind of a backup shot.

Agrees with what I have heard in other situations with these special tags... even though they encourage back-up shooters for bears and bison.

For bison they specifically request a person be a backup with a rifle, and ask for you to officially designate them (through the department) as such. It may even be a requirement.
I was a backup for a guy who drew bison a couple years ago. I didn't get to shoot thoughfrown.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
DC475 here I come! First AK tag ever - Yessssssss!!

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Dang it! Didn’t get a Bear, Moose, Bison, Sheep or a Goat again!!!😡
Just practicing my response😉

Glad I practiced . . . The above is exactly what I didn’t get😂

Got an offer for ya..

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Just sheep for me. grin DS160 - any ram.

Sherpas may begin submitting their resumes . . .

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Dang it! Missed the fall non-resident black bear hunt on POW. Second year I've tried it for that draw hunt. Would have loved to have done a surf and turf, with salmon being the surf, and bear the turf.

May still go anyway, just for the fishing. My preferred of the two anyway.

Oh well. Next up: the Maine moose lottery. Been trying that one for like 20 years, and one of these years its got to hit!

Carry what you’re willing to fight with - Mackay Sagebrush

Perfect is the enemy of good enough
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by MuskegMan

Oh my! Fancy tag!!!

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

However my dad drew DM783 (Richardson hwy moose). It'll be his first moose if he's successful.
This one's a muzzleloader or archery only tag. Does anyone know if I'd be able to back him up with a follow-up shot as long I also had a muzzleloader/bow?

I drew that same hunt.
Unless your old man has some sort of legal handicap I am almost 100% the answer is no. Even if he does have a handicap the answer is likely no, unless it is a DLP kind of a backup shot.

Agrees with what I have heard in other situations with these special tags... even though they encourage back-up shooters for bears and bison.

For bison they specifically request a person be a backup with a rifle, and ask for you to officially designate them (through the department) as such. It may even be a requirement.
I was a backup for a guy who drew bison a couple years ago. I didn't get to shoot thoughfrown.

the back-up issue may have changed.......i heard something about it yesterday but didn't catch it all.

it does cause problems as several times the shooter and back-up are looking at different critters and end up with two down.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Talus_in_Arizona
DC475 here I come! First AK tag ever - Yessssssss!!

Unit 13 is a pretty fair caribou hunt, especially if you get a supercub or whatever else to get you off the road system. I applied for it myself (DC485), but no bueno.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by VernAK

I drew that same hunt.

the back-up issue may have changed.......i heard something about it yesterday but didn't catch it all.

it does cause problems as several times the shooter and back-up are looking at different critters and end up with two down.

Wow......that would suck, or maybe in some cases it was being done on purpose??? I'd imagine some guys really do want to shoot one bad enough.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Nada for me. Guess it's back to the 40-mile cluster again this year.

O
OAM Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Originally Posted by MuskegMan

Lol

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MTDan

My goodness.
You're braver than me. I saw the fall shïtshow from afar and am permanently scarred. The winter hunt wasn't as bad but I still see people chasing the herds on their snowmachines and taking 1000 yard hail Mary's.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nothing for me. Guess that tank of a goat escapes me yet again here in town.

Yup.
79S Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

My goodness.
You're braver than me. I saw the fall shïtshow from afar and am permanently scarred. The winter hunt wasn't as bad but I still see people chasing the herds on their snowmachines and taking 1000 yard hail Mary's.

How long you been at Wainwright? Thought you were a Montana fella all this time. You ever make it down to the valley hit me up buy you a beer or Pepsi your choice..

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
K
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
K
DM788- for me. At least we will have meat in the freezer. I shot the last one in my archery range from inside my living room and there are more now. There is one cow that is brazen and potentially dangerous. She will be the first to go.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L

My goodness.

Done that the last two years. Steese. I didn't think it was that bad - in fact, it's kinda fun once you are a couple miles in. Lots of (mostly good) people of course, mostly gone after the first day or two. The first animal I took last year was limping from a clipped hoof- one of those idiotic hail-mary-shots from up valley. I'd already passed up shooting any out of that group earlier, but they came back past us with that one obviously wounded - but last year it was 2 any sex. We got 3 of our allowed 6. We don't care what we shoot, as long as it's enough. Be going again this year- either the Steese or the Taylor depending on herd location reports. Got my spots picked for both - not just locations- where I will sit and where I want wife and son to sit. Fog allowing.....

Visiting with some of tthe "usual suspects" we've met there the last two years is nice too.

Heck, I might leave the ATV's for wife and son on opening morning. I'd hike in and camp the night before in a nifty cave I found up top. Pad, sleeping bag, instant oatmeal and coffee, with a small heat source and I'm good to go for a night, or even two. Weather permitting, I'm on watch with coffee brewing at first light. Honey HalfLab likes camping, too, but prefers the camper.... especially if it is raining. She's a smart dog. smile

We took 2 cows and an orphaned calf last year - and are down to a few packages. Gonna have to be bigger and/or more, next year! Moose chances later on are on the doubtful side.

Wife bought her own ATV since, so we have 2 meat haulers. I suspect my wife is going to go way the hellngone back in - or want to - but there is no need. With a little patience, caribou will come to us (or have the last two years) less than 2 miles from the truck. I think I have the Rancher's ignition problem (kept quitting and then not starting for 5 minutes) or so straightened out, which worried me some up there on that ridge last year, so we pulled the plug after day two last year. Tow rope, tools, new ignition goes along next time, just in case. I'll find out if it's not the ignition (hopefully sooner if it's not) , I guess, but now have that covered.

If we go to the Taylor, it will be a 5 mile pack out of a walk-in only area probably. I know the camp site , at a timber-line saddle/"funnel" with wood and water. Not familiar with any other spots along the T.

We're old, but we ain't dead yet....but that's as far as I'm packing anything anymore!

Well, enough - I have a snow machine to go un-eff.... wife wants to go mess with the new rec cabin soon as a break from remodeling in the house. A busman's holiday, as it were. frown

Last edited by las; 02/20/21.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by 79S

My goodness.

How long you been at Wainwright? Thought you were a Montana fella all this time. You ever make it down to the valley hit me up buy you a beer or Pepsi your choice..

I've technically been here 2 years, but had to spend most of the first half on a hotter and sandier work-trip.

I've only done the 40-mile once. Total zoo. Had a shot on a nice bull until it took off running for no reason. Turns out, someone let their dog run wild and it chased the herd out of our valley. I was livid!

We were on foot off the steese, so pickings were slim, but my wife shot one, and it was her first big game animal!

This year we'll at least have a quad to get back a little farther.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Goose Eggs for 300 Alex!

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

242 members (264mag, 204guy, 17CalFan, 257_X_50, 29aholic, 28 invisible), 2,234 guests, and 1,198 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,625
Posts18,492,875
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.