Hop To
Page 2 of 12 1 2 3 4 11 12
A
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
Nope.
I have a mortgage on the condo I'm living in. This will eventually become a rental property.
Also have a mortgage on the 25 acres I bought last that I eventually plan on building in.

Absolutely. There's a difference between being leveraged to the hilts and hedged.
Originally Posted by night_owl
I think a mortgage at today's interest rates is a hedge against inflation.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by night_owl
I think a mortgage at today's interest rates is a hedge against inflation.

At least two ways to look at a mortgage. One is objectively as a mathematics' formula. The second is subjectively looking at real life possibilities that would affect one's ability to make mortgage payments, resulting in the loss of one's home and the resulting living situation.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
We have three properties, a home, a lake house and a hunting property, the lake house and hunting property are paid for and we have about 1/8th of the homes value left on the mortgage. I could easily afford to pay it off, but its at 3.125% and the real estate and investments average a lot more than that. In fact last April I was thinking of mortgaging the lake house to invest and I really regret not doing it now.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
I paid one off. Other people are paying the other two off.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Yep paid for 2 times over just about had it paid off and got a set of divorce papers from.ex to be , had to buy and pay for it again plus child support.you have to pay extra every month on the principle. The banks don't set it up to raise your std of living but to maximize their profit. You need to increase your equity every month as much as possible to decrease the amount of interest you pay. Works for anybody except married people who have spouses allways spending on rubber dog sh*t from wallyworld and trying to keep ahead of the jones. EAT AT HOME save money make enough for next days lunch save.more money. Never ever buy 3-5 dollar coffees , espresso' s, latter's etc. Huge waste of money ,.you smoke ? quit
All this money you piss away or run thru your lungs is a total waste Drink alcohol? Do it at home and in moderation kids and wife don't never need to see you sheeit faced or even under the influence. Shop for the best deals on the stuff you gotta have. Need a newer vehicle? Buy a Toyota in the long run they are the least expensive vehicle to own low maintenance, good mpg, and last 2-3 times longer than the others. You asked. Mb

Last edited by Magnum_Bob; 02/19/21.

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
IC B2

A
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
I’m 56 debt free for 10 years now.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
paid as we built, ourselves when we were 19,20 years old. Had a termite control business. Do 15-20 jobs in a month, plop down $5k on several units of lumber. Store it in the our Burley barn. Do another batch of jobs, repeat.

Pick out a spot on the farm, set up batter boards, david white transit, start digging a footing with pick and shovel. Call ready mix.

Go do a few more jobs, save up money for couple months, buy all the blocks and brick.

Pay as you build

Get it dried in and, roofed, doors and windows and family/friends help walk away. We can do the rest. Have uncle so and so drop in once a week see how the rough in wiring is going. Make sure it aint gonna be a code inspector’s wet dream

A few delays, like stopping on your house to help a cousin work on his for a few days. Need all hands u can lend when someone trying to get one decked in or rafters set.

When youre done, it’s yours.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Been completely debt free since 2012.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yep, paid off.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
I had a lot of fun & blew a lot of money when I was younger, but had at least one promise to myself. Have my own home & it paid for by the time I was 60. I kept it.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
We bought our house in 2010, shortly after the big economic fiasco.

Got a good deal on it and had it paid off in 2019(I was 41 years old). Keep in mind that we reside in one of the cheapest places to live in Montana.

Could easily sell it for over twice what we paid so that's my big brag for the day. That and we are debt free.

We were thinking about buying another house for my SIL and her kids to rent.. But I would rather her buy and get the equity ball rolling.

I think I will just continue to buy my way into the ranching side of our operation. Now is a great time to not be saving money....IMHO.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Paid off in 2003, when I was 50.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't think I'll retire in this house so I've been holding the cash. I'll probably build another house cash and sell this one to fund a early retirement. it's my only debt and it's small, paying it off saves me ~$600 a month.

"Life is tough, even tougher if your stupid"
John Wayne
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
I am an independently wealthy adventurer.

In order to blend in with the masses...I maintain a high level of debt.

I feel it makes for an easier connection with the peasants.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Built mine with cash, don’t owe cshit to no MFer. I was 46 when I finished it, took three years. The trailer house I had was paid off. Paid cash for it so I’ve never really had a house note, paid cash for property. I paid rent for about 3 years.

I’m lucky, had good job that paid OT, Wifey makes a lot since she completed her engineering degree. I’m the only uneducated person in the family. My two older kids have their homes paid for also. House notes suck!

I enjoy buying vehicles. When they ask how I’m going to finance, I like telling them I’m not, gonna pay with a check.

Last edited by hanco; 02/19/21.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Paid if off before I retired. Best decision I ever made.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by Jim1611
Dave Ramsey says it best. "The paid-off home mortgage has taken the place of the BMW as the status symbol of choice."

I like that quote and that's exactly what we have done. Have paid off the last three houses early.

NRA Life Member
"Use Enough Gun"- Robert Ruark
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Yes, paid off 15 months ago.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Have 20% left on my house. Bought it in 2013, put 20% down. House down the street sold for double what we paid for ours this summer. Could pay it off, but my 2.85% rate is cheap money...

I'm 36.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've paid for 3. Pissed one away by making the dumbest move of my life, evil wife #2.

Page 2 of 12 1 2 3 4 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

542 members (1minute, 1Longbow, 1_deuce, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 1234, 70 invisible), 2,382 guests, and 1,262 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,539
Posts18,472,836
Members73,939
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.