Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Skankhunt42
Originally Posted by Morewood
That Outer Limits episode with the monster on the airplane wing scared the 9hit out of me as a little kid.

But not as much as watching a seized, flaming engine out my window seat to Hawaii.

Do you mean the Twilight Zone where the monkey was out on the wing ripping it apart? I remember that episode from when I was a kid, scared the H E double toothpicks out of me!

Was that the episode with Lithgow or was it a movie?

Last edited by troublesome82; 02/20/21. Reason: wording

V
Vek Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
You flyerfolk...what sort of changes in control and performance do you see with such an engine failure? A bunch of rudder to offset thrust? Are you fully hands-on at that point? How much speed lost? Happening when it did, what's the course of action? What happens if your farther from a suitable airstrip?

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by troublesome82
Originally Posted by Skankhunt42
Originally Posted by Morewood
That Outer Limits episode with the monster on the airplane wing scared the 9hit out of me as a little kid.

But not as much as watching a seized, flaming engine out my window seat to Hawaii.

Do you mean the Twilight Zone where the monkey was out on the wing ripping it apart? I remember that episode from when I was a kid, scared the H E double toothpicks out of me!

Was that the episode with Lithgow or was it a movie?

Lithgow was creepshow, William Shatner twilight zone.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Orion2000
Originally Posted by antlers
Best to have something like this happen 25 miles from the airport in Denver instead of halfway between the west coast and Honolulu.

My thought as well. My understanding is that the flight from U.S. mainland to Honolulu is one of the longest commercial "over water" flight segments in the world.

It’s almost a third as long as the flight from LAX to Sydney

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by Vek
You flyerfolk...what sort of changes in control and performance do you see with such an engine failure? A bunch of rudder to offset thrust? Are you fully hands-on at that point? How much speed lost? Happening when it did, what's the course of action? What happens if your farther from a suitable airstrip?

The 777 has a feature called thrust asymmetry control (TAC) where the computer automatically feeds in rudder to compensate for the yaw caused by one engine being out. It works beautifully so you don't have to give it much rudder. They designed it so it doesn't counter all the yaw, they don't want you forgetting which engine is out. Obviously it doesn't climb as quickly as with two engines. It's cold in Denver this time of year so that helps, it's high altitude so that takes away from climb performance. The fuel load would be pretty light since Denver to Honolulu is only six hours so they wouldn't be very heavy, that helps single engine climb performance. The 777 has big engines so no problem climbing single engine in this instance.

If it happens right after takeoff there's an engine out profile you do, you'll climb to 1000' AGL then bring the flaps up, get the airplane clean before you climb, you'd accelerate to 250 kts. Boeing recommends getting the autopilot on at 500' for less workload. You'd declare an emergency then climb up to a good altitude, at least 5000' AGL to run the emergency checklist which would direct you to pull the fire handle which shuts off fuel to the engine and discharge the fire extinguishing system. There are a bunch of other little items but that's the main ones. You'd then set up everything for the approach back into Denver and tell the controller you're ready for the approach. You'd land at a reduced flap setting because it gives less drag which makes go around performance better. It isn't a "I've got to land right now" event, it's better to take your time and get everything set up right than to rush it. The only real "I've got to land right now" events are if you're on fire (the engine fire here went out) or if there's a medical emergency like someone having a heart attack.

Generally if the weather is good there you'd turn around and land at Denver like they did. If the weather was bad at Denver they might have picked a better weather airport nearby to go to. If you're somewhere between the continental U.S. and Hawaii then there will be planned alternates and you'd go to the closest one. On that route the alternates would probably be San Francisco or Oakland on the mainland and Honolulu or Hilo in Hawaii. You'll have a planned "equal time point" between the two, if something happens before the equal time point you turn around and go to the mainland alternate, if it's after the point you'll go to the alternate in the islands.

That's the abbreviated version. Losing an engine isn't the end of the world, the plane's designed to fly fine on one engine.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Scary as all fuqk. I hear the plane was headed to Hawaii lucky this didn't happen 1000 miles off the west coast. Hula girl and I flew from LAX to Hawaii on an American 777 back in 2001

Coyotes shot no waiting.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Orion2000
My understanding is that the flight from U.S. mainland to Honolulu is one of the longest commercial "over water" flight segments in the world.

LAX-HNL is dwarfed by other much longer over-water
segments. B777 with ETOPS-330 has it covered concerning
OEI/SDA requirements to HNL.

2015, Air NZ was the first carrier to operate
under FAA ETOPS-330 with its 777 200ER.

Improvements in aviation tech and the requirement
to have a range of redundancy systems in place
means ETOPS has increased from the first FAA
approved rating. (B767 ETOPS-90 in the 1980s
to the current Airbus A350 with ETOPS-370.)

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Pretty sure the 777 has engines that are very resistant to bird strikes. During testing they shot frozen turkeys into the engines at full speed. Didn't phase them at all. When you have a 2 engine jumbo jet that flies over the ocean a lot, those engines need to be pretty tough. That being said, something caused this catastrophic failure. Imagine being in that plane looking out the window at the burning engine. Major pucker factor for sure.

Ron

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
Orwell
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image from i.redd.it]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Padded VA Hospital Rooms for $1000 Alex

Originally Posted by renegade50
My ignoree,s will never be Rock Stars on 24 hr campfire.....Like me!!!!

What are psychotic puppet hunters?
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm comfortable with the thought that if it's my time to go then so be it, BUT, what if it's the pilot's time to go?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I was on a plane that left Denver en route to Los Angeles.

One of the engines took a schit and the pilot told everybody. I looked at the chick next to me and said "Why would he tell us? Just land the fugkin' thing."

It was pin drop quiet until we landed. He put it down in Grand Junction if I remember right. And the airline bought everybody Dominoes while we waited for a new plane.

Yay.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
Originally Posted by Vek

The 777 has a feature called thrust asymmetry control (TAC) where the computer automatically feeds in rudder to compensate for the yaw caused by one engine being out. It works beautifully so you don't have to give it much rudder. They designed it so it doesn't counter all the yaw, they don't want you forgetting which engine is out. Obviously it doesn't climb as quickly as with two engines. It's cold in Denver this time of year so that helps, it's high altitude so that takes away from climb performance. The fuel load would be pretty light since Denver to Honolulu is only six hours so they wouldn't be very heavy, that helps single engine climb performance. The 777 has big engines so no problem climbing single engine in this instance.

If it happens right after takeoff there's an engine out profile you do, you'll climb to 1000' AGL then bring the flaps up, get the airplane clean before you climb, you'd accelerate to 250 kts. Boeing recommends getting the autopilot on at 500' for less workload. You'd declare an emergency then climb up to a good altitude, at least 5000' AGL to run the emergency checklist which would direct you to pull the fire handle which shuts off fuel to the engine and discharge the fire extinguishing system. There are a bunch of other little items but that's the main ones. You'd then set up everything for the approach back into Denver and tell the controller you're ready for the approach. You'd land at a reduced flap setting because it gives less drag which makes go around performance better. It isn't a "I've got to land right now" event, it's better to take your time and get everything set up right than to rush it. The only real "I've got to land right now" events are if you're on fire (the engine fire here went out) or if there's a medical emergency like someone having a heart attack.

Generally if the weather is good there you'd turn around and land at Denver like they did. If the weather was bad at Denver they might have picked a better weather airport nearby to go to. If you're somewhere between the continental U.S. and Hawaii then there will be planned alternates and you'd go to the closest one. On that route the alternates would probably be San Francisco or Oakland on the mainland and Honolulu or Hilo in Hawaii. You'll have a planned "equal time point" between the two, if something happens before the equal time point you turn around and go to the mainland alternate, if it's after the point you'll go to the alternate in the islands.

That's the abbreviated version. Losing an engine isn't the end of the world, the plane's designed to fly fine on one engine.

I take it that you fly out of MEM a lot...

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by deflave

One of the engines took a schit and the pilot told everybody. I looked at the chick next to me and said "Why would he tell us? Just land the fugkin' thing."

It was pin drop quiet until we landed. He put it down in Grand Junction if I remember right. And the airline bought everybody Dominoes while we waited for a new plane.

Yay.

Was she hawt???
I'd be tellin her that wez all gonna die anywayz so let's join the mile high club...

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by AJ300MAG

Yay.

Was she hawt???
I'd be tellin her that wez all gonna die anywayz so let's join the mile high club...

Not really.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Not that it really matters, but the article is wrong. Broomfield is west of the airport, not east. 🙄 That plane dropped its engine right before it started over the mountains.

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Yay.

Ok deflave911 your stories are getting a little outlandish

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I didn't know where Broomfield was, but when I thought of where HI is in relation to Denver, this from the article struck me as wrong:

"Broomfield is located about 25 miles north of Denver and 30 miles east of the airport."

Last edited by PaulBarnard; 02/21/21.
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by antlers
Best to have something like this happen 25 miles from the airport in Denver instead of halfway between the west coast and Honolulu.

I read it landed "30 minutes after take-off". I was wondering about that, but crowhunter's explanition takes care of it.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

582 members (10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 1234, 06hunter59, 64 invisible), 2,112 guests, and 1,252 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,775
Posts18,495,739
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.