Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Look at 10 year old rvs and see what they look like. My arctic fox is 18 years old and still solid as they come even after being drug through hell. I broke 3 wheels last year alone.

How the used models hold up is where you should look.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They all are built cheap and lose value at an alarming rate.
I'd buy a nice used unit. Usually some good deals on 2-4 year old units that have only been out a few times.

A good buddy bought one from a local dealer. He has sued them I think three times. πŸ˜‚

I have a 2008 Jayco. It has had a few issues, but so far all small things I've handled.

Last edited by MadMooner; 02/22/21.

β€œLife is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Robb10238
We settled on a Lance 2285 model with the all weather package and aluminum framing and smooth outer skin. NOt the cheapest by any means but a step above the normal rv in quality and design.

We went with a used but as new Lance, a smaller 1575, and are pleased. Clearly a better build than some of the other we looked at.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MM879
The materials used in the Sunny Brook is the next level higher, All of the outside walls are gel-coat panels that would be used in motorhomes.

That "fiberglass" outter skin is called Filon, they all use exactly the same schit so they can be easily repaired by any shop when you bump, bang and wreck them.

You buy it by the foot, comes in eight and a half foot widths.
I keep it stock piled, ever since I started repairing these things everyone I know brings me theirs to fix when they f_uck them up.

In 30 years I've yet to see much difference in how different brands are built. They all use exactly the same materials. They're like mobile homes but held together with glue instead of nails.

[Linked Image]

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Of the two you show, I like the layout of the Jayco better. We bought a new K-Z Spree in 2018 and I'll tell you, at any gathering of RV owners, the main topics of conversation are: All of the crap wrong with their trailers and all the trouble they've had getting their dealer to fix it. We've put some miles on ours and it took two sets of bent axles before I was able to convince them to upgrade.
Other issues, all related to build quality, I have been able to address successfully. You will want to mouse-proof your trailer before they move in! For your tow vehicle, avoid the Andersen Hitch; it's a POS. Anything else is better.
We own a campground; there are three Jayco trailers and their owners are just as happy as anyone else. One of them puts some miles on his and he has no complaints. He has been using the same trailer for 12 years now. GD

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Just pop the windows out and replace the butyl tape, it's cheap, painless and easy. For christ's sake don't go pumping tubes of silicone around the outer edge of a window to try and stop a leak. You just make a big mess and the leak generally reappears shortly.
Silicone is terrible. For 1 thing, once you've used it, you can't use anything else as it leaves a film that nothing else will stick to. I was a roofer for quite a few years. We used polyurethane. It's a better leak fixer than silicone and it impervious to UV. It's harder to find but worth the effort.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by dye7barrel
Look no further than Outdoors RV.

Another vote for the Outdoors RV, don't currently have one but a hunting buddy does and he has had good luck with it.

"Rather hunt Mule deer than anything else"
"Team 7MM-08"
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by EdM
Originally Posted by Robb10238
We settled on a Lance 2285 model with the all weather package and aluminum framing and smooth outer skin. NOt the cheapest by any means but a step above the normal rv in quality and design.

We went with a used but as new Lance, a smaller 1575, and are pleased. Clearly a better build than some of the other we looked at.
Lance isn't what it used to be. I know 2 guys with Lance pickup campers and both have had problems. Once has had leaks and the other electrical.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I've had good luck with Jayco, but I have not bought anything in years.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I had a 2015 Jayco White Hawk 24 RGB model, with the center kitchen sink console. Great unit, no major problems whatsoever. Tows really well. I would recommend the Jayco line from past experience.

Last edited by Bighorn; 02/22/21.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Industry wide, QC is so abhorrent that brand discussion isn't worth much. They all turn out crap on a regular basis. Factory and dealer support is generally lacking as well. It's not too easy as a consumer to spot problems on the dealer lot. It's a roll of the dice. If any industry suffers worse QC across the board, I am not aware of it. RV industry QC makes Ruger QC look like a gold standard.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Hiaring8

Also, I would prefer to buy the Jayco at the local dealer, that way I won't be supporting Marcus Lemonis company - but 6k difference is a big deal and not sure his liberal views alone would make me choose the Jayco. Thoughts?

One last little thing.
If you end up going with the Jayco see if you can negotiate in having them install small window awnings for the two large windows on the slide out. It'd cost them around 350 to 400 bucks.

They're nice to have, without them if you were to leave either of those two windows open (which can be very desirable) and it were to rain, everything by those windows will get soaked.

[Linked Image from images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com]

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
We ended up going with a Heartland North Trail 29BH....Taking delivery in two weeks as it’s coming in from the factory...

https://heartlandrvs.com/rv-model/north-trail-29bhp/

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Looks like a good floorplan. I dig the pantry, too.

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn LabΓ© SkΓ½la~
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Lance has a great reputation; probably on the of best out there. Arctic seems to make a pretty solid unit as well. My son traded his 29 Forest River for a 19 Jayco with bunks. Just the two of them and don’t travel more than 4 hours away.

Last edited by abbydog; 08/27/21.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
They are all garbage. Camping in a trailer is code for fixing your trailer every trip.
Be handy, or go VRBO.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
We looked at an aspen trail 2810bh or something in 2019 for $19,600 new. The same one this summer is $33,000. We've never had one before and aren't sure if we will like it so we keep dragging our feet.

I'm not sure if it's worth it to travel with one. Get terrible mileage and then pay to park it 5 feet away from some random strangers in a campground. Seems like it might be easier to just keep renting hotel rooms with a real shower and a pool.

The more I think about it the more I think I'd prefer a smaller one that I can just take up to the woods and park it without hookups. Probably would enjoy one more just for local camping trips than for traveling.

I just poured a 17' by 76' RV pad next to the garage this week and I have a 50 Amp electrical hookup on it. Now my friends with camp trailers can come visit and park it there while they go to Yellowstone and Jackson and stuff.

If prices come back down I think I'll start looking for about a 23' model with bunks in the back. My mom worked for Dutchman for several years and could have got me one at employee pricing which was around half of MSRP. I had no interest in one at the time because I was a more minimalist type camper before I had kids. I probably should have bought a few and flipped them.

Bb

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Backroads
They are all garbage. Camping in a trailer is code for fixing your trailer every trip.
Be handy, or go VRBO.

Buy/build a cabin. Appreciating assets always Trump depreciating assets.

A
add Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Scamp

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by jackmountain
Originally Posted by Backroads
Be handy, or go VRBO.

Buy/build a cabin. Appreciating assets always Trump depreciating assets.

Cabins are more maintenance than fun, and always parked in the same place.

That said, if I could buy/build a cabin for under 15g, I most definitely would!
Til then, being handy has allowed us to camp in the desert and mountains and everywhere in between.

Then sell the camper for same money as paid several years later.

YMMV.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

465 members (10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 160user, 10gaugemag, 01Foreman400, 42 invisible), 2,329 guests, and 1,088 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,509
Posts18,490,723
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.