Print Thread
Hop To
M
M1290 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
I just wanted to send this out to the other members, as I have struggled for several years to find a newer made gun that shot like the ones from the “old days”. I been searching for a newer gun lightweight and shot well like the older rem 700 rem mtn rifles and the custom ks guns. Just picked up the above a couple weeks ago from scheels and gave it the test. I shot 4 different handloads and 9 different factory loads and all shot at one inch or better at 100, and all bullets were between 130-210 pills. In many years of trying guns and trading around, this gun is something else imho. This is my first ever tikka and damn am I impressed. And also if your wondering the glass was a sightron s-tac 3x16x42

HR IC

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I have a tikka t3x stainless 270 and a veil wideland in 6.5 cm and both I had the same experience you are describing. The 270 they are same point of impact for 3 different factory loads.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Lots of Tikka lovers on this forum...I'm one of them.
For the money they are a bargain....you can spend more and get less. They have been become more popular over the years.

Ask for forgiveness......instead of permission
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I have 2 tikka factory, and two customs built on tikka actions. I love them. Refreshing buying a gun that shoots without having to dick with it.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Having owned, and still own, quite a few Tikkas, I agree with the assessment of how well they shoot. However, I cannot recall any rifles from the "old days" that shot anywhere near as well as the Tikka without requiring a lot of dinking around with them - trigger adjustment or replacement, having to glass-bed, free-float, and spending lots of time on load development.

It is amazing how Tikka got it right from the start. The LSA series were great, the 595/695 were excellent and the T3's just knocked it out the ballpark, while they are not quite as nice looking (IMO) as the older series they are lighter and more user friendly.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

IC B2

V
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
V
Funny, I owned a pile of Remington 700 Mtn rifles back in the 80's (four in 308 Win, three 30-06's a couple 7mm-08's and at least one .280 Rem that I can remember) I loved the way they handled but not one of them was what I consider a good shooter, 1"-2" @100yds groups were the norm..As far as Tikka rifles go I have owned maybe a dozen NIB and every one was an MOA shooter and some were sub-MOA shooters but so are most Ruger Americans and most other so called "value rifles" so you really dont have to chase accuracy like back in the day as most any modern bolt rifle will shoot as good or better than the most accurate Remington 700 Mtn I ever owned....You did post your Tikka love thread on the right site as there are a bunch of Tikka guys on here that think Tikka rifles are the only rifles made...Enjoy your new rifle...Good luck...Hb

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I now have 6 different T3X’s and a T1X and all of them shoot lights out. I always think about trying another brand anytime I want to get a new rifle but always come back to Tikka.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Curious- is the veil a stainless barreled action that is coated?

MK
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by drover
Having owned, and still own, quite a few Tikkas, I agree with the assessment of how well they shoot. However, I cannot recall any rifles from the "old days" that shot anywhere near as well as the Tikka without requiring a lot of dinking around with them - trigger adjustment or replacement, having to glass-bed, free-float, and spending lots of time on load development.

It is amazing how Tikka got it right from the start. The LSA series were great, the 595/695 were excellent and the T3's just knocked it out the ballpark, while they are not quite as nice looking (IMO) as the older series they are lighter and more user friendly.

drover

Pretty much all of that.

M1290,

What were the factory and handloads you used in your T3 300 wm?

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by MK257
Curious- is the veil a stainless barreled action that is coated?

The veil are stainless and cerakoted with fluted barrel, large bolt knob and fluted bolt.

I believe the rough tech are moly and cerakoted which is what they are a little cheaper.

Last edited by ldg397; 02/14/21.
IC B3

B
B
I just bought the roughtech in 300 win mag. Looking forward to shooting it.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Let us know how it shoots. My veil wideland shot about 1 1/4 straight out of the box and as I shoot it more it is really dialing in and less than 1” with three different factory loads and 3/4” with factory Sierra game changers. I need to work up some custom loads and see what it does. Nice rifle you’ll love it.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
My wideland is a 6.5 creed and is super accurate with handloads. It will also keep the Hornady American Gunner ammo between 1/2-3/4 moa as well. I bought around 1,000 rounds of it pre covid for about 60 cents a piece so I just use that for plinking ammo.

Last edited by Motown; 02/22/21.
C
C
My buddy down at the pawn shop called me one day and told me he had a gun I might be interested in. So went on down to have a look. He hands me a Tikka T-3 in 7mm-08 and I was immediately impressed with the rifle as I had never see one or held one in my hands for that matter. The bolt was a smooth as silk and trigger pull was crisp with hardly any creep at all. On top was a 50mm Tasco and whoever put the scope on must not have realized the the front was resting on the barrel. The rifle was in very good condition, no scratches anywhere.
After a few minutes of haggling back and forth the deal was made and I handed him $550 and that was with two boxes of 120gr Remington ammo. I took it home and mounted a Zeiss Terra on it and took it to the range. After sighting it in I settled in and was shooting 1 inch groups with the Remington ammo.
It is now my go to gun when I hunt Whitetails and I really do love this gun!

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Cobra1957
My buddy down at the pawn shop called me one day and told me he had a gun I might be interested in. So went on down to have a look. He hands me a Tikka T-3 in 7mm-08 and I was immediately impressed with the rifle as I had never see one or held one in my hands for that matter. The bolt was a smooth as silk and trigger pull was crisp with hardly any creep at all. On top was a 50mm Tasco and whoever put the scope on must not have realized the the front was resting on the barrel. The rifle was in very good condition, no scratches anywhere.
After a few minutes of haggling back and forth the deal was made and I handed him $550 and that was with two boxes of 120gr Remington ammo. I took it home and mounted a Zeiss Terra on it and took it to the range. After sighting it in I settled in and was shooting 1 inch groups with the Remington ammo.
It is now my go to gun when I hunt Whitetails and I really do love this gun!

You’ll just about pay that for just the ammo anymore🙄

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

301 members (260Remguy, 10gaugemag, 257_X_50, 17CalFan, 17Fan, 1beaver_shooter, 34 invisible), 2,153 guests, and 1,045 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,745
Posts18,495,171
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.