Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I’m getting ready to tackle one for the cabin.

GB1

16bore Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
We had solar hot water in the late 80’s but that was long ago. I reckon with the way technology moves we should see some jumps like cell phones. Just seemed to be kind of “lagging” but haven’t really kept up with it.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
A 12 year ROI ain't bad on a the length of a home loan, but what about the life expectancy of the initial investment, or the equipment? Can it withstand the ROI time?

Geothermal was that way in it's infancy. A certain ROI, but the equipment couldn't last as long. The equipment got better, but funny thing, ya just don't hear of it much anymore.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by 16bore
Someone please explain the math. I see folks spending $30-$40k on these things for their homes. If your bill was $200/mo. before and $0/month after, it takes 12 years to break even.

Selling back to the grid or something? What’s the life of these things?

Kinda reminds me of Kirby vaccuums.

What I gather from a friend of mine down in New Mexico is that the location and elevation of your home play a fairly significant role in how fast the return is.

He and I spoke and apparently this location is exceptional for solar. I think he spent about $30,000 on his system. Around 20% of that will be a tax write-off at the federal level.

He generates more power than he can use during daylight hours and Banks the excess energy back into the grid. He said he did not sell it because the selling price was much lower then if he banked it and use the power that he needed at night and on cloudy days or something like that.

He expects his system to last 30 years and expects it to be paid off in around 10.

Solar panels come in different grades of quality. I believe he bought slightly above-average. The premium panels are quite pricey at this time. He did not invest in a battery storage system. His opinion was that returning the Excess power to the grid and using it later when he needed it was best for his needs. I seem to recall that he was something like two months ahead. I took that to mean in the course of five years he would be a full year ahead of his day-to-day and month-to-month needs.

Since this technology is ever-improving it may be a logical solution for others if they are at the right elevation in the right location.

It is also possible that the feds will step in with additional incentives. But trusting in the feds to get anything right is kind of like reflushing a clogged up toilet... and hoping for the best.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Go big I guess, we run 4 heat pumps, a few baseboards and until recently coal stoves. I had a larger company come in. Seemed easy to me, I was even cutting the trenches. Guy got nervous when I showed him I wanted a 150 panel field not a tiny roof setup to offset. I want 1.5x usage roughly. PA pays retail for returning to the grid up to 2x. He thought that sounded like too many until I showed him my usage. Started out big on lifecycle warranty of 15 years etc. I started asking where degradation % was on warranty. He waffled, quickly admitted he was a Marketing guy filling in and thought it would be a simple roof install, swore he’d get back to me “By Friday” with a proposal.

I’m not sure which Friday he meant. That was Bear Season last fall.....

IC B2

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Meanwhile last month my electric bill broke 4 figures and it hasn’t been that cold......

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Oldman3
A friend of mine has a solar system, but he got it several years ago when the gov. would subsidize the cost. One solar panel is about a 12x20 and the other is about 8x12. He got rid of the batteries and now has a special meter that cost $6/mth. The power company doesn't send him a check for the extra power he produces, they credit his account. In the summer he makes more electricity than he uses, but in the winter he uses more than he makes. Other than the $6 monthly bill, he said that he usually gets 2 bills in the winter for about $30-$40 each. So his yearly electric bill is about $150 per year.

He's had this system since the early 2000's, so they must be pretty reliable.

His is the only one I know about.

This^^^ is pretty much exactly how my brother fairs with his set-up.

FJB & FJT
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
For me the only reason to consider solar is a $25,000.00 bill to run a line out to my remote slice of paradise.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I’ve noticed several things about putting solar on your residence:

1. Roof leaks, who do you call, a roofing or solar contractor
2. Solar cell half life: I’ve read that around 15 years the solar cell starts “dying” and power production is reduced by about 20%, and it keeps reducing output in the following years.
3. Black outs of the power grid: if you are directly hooked up to the power grid, not on a battery, and there is a blackout, your system will be automatically shut down too, as the utility company repairmen won’t be electrocuted by your system electricity.
4. Contracts: some contracts state that the electricity from your system goes first to the utility power grid and then to you. You will get credit for the power, but it’s not really your power. Contracts can vary, but this is something to go over and understand before going forward with an expensive system.

If I was out off the grid in a sun belt area, I’d get a system and try to put it on say a large patio cover if I could.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Most homes aren't built with optimum solar collecting direction in mind.
If you take note when passing by a solar farm, they are mounted on steel frames facing the best direction possible.

Pretty easy to fab up if you have the knowledge and the room.

Best way is like these, they are on sun trackers that keep your panels facing the sun as it moves across the sky.
The tracker systems aren't all that exspensive considering the added benefits but these types of frames are. They are built to withstand extreme winds.
[Linked Image from solarreviews.com]

I wouldn't tie into any commercial power system with mine. The whole point is to be self contained for me.

My panels and related equipment paid for itself long ago.
I've moved it from place to place over the years.
I have panels over 20 years old that still have 21 volt output on a good day.

Got a stack of panels in storage I don't even need to use.

Put three 120 watt panels out of storage on a friends RV recently.
He's able to use his convection oven for about a hours worth of cooking time then watch a couple DVDS on his 42 inch LED TV and still have power to spare. He bought 3 large marine deep cycle batteries from Walmart for his system. They cost him about $275 for the 3, I gave him the panels.
We installed a 50amp RV receptical in the compartment his RVs power cord is stored in wired direct to his inverter. When he unplugs from his hookup at home he just rolls the cord up and plugs back into the outlet we installed and he's back to having all the 120 volt power he requires.

Best part of having my system is it's been so long since I had a power bill, I wouldn't recognize one if I saw it.

Next best thing is going to town and hearing people whining about the power outage I never knew we had.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Old Ornery

3. Black outs of the power grid: if you are directly hooked up to the power grid, not on a battery, and there is a blackout, your system will be automatically shut down too, as the utility company repairmen won’t be electrocuted by your system electricity.

Those are all good points.

I was wondering if it is possible to connect the solar power back to your house through a transfer switch during a black out?

Quando omni flunkus moritati
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I bought a house about a year and a half ago with a rooftop solar system that was installed in 2011 by the original owners. 36 panel, 7000 watt, no storage, reversible meter connection with power company.
[Linked Image]

My monthly service connection cost is about $17, which includes the reversible meter fee. If I make more power than I use, the meter actually runs backwards and takes watthours off the reading. I do not get any money back from power company for excess. So far I run about 8 months of the year with no elec bill other than the $17 service connection fee. The other months have run between $35 - $100. House is 1500sf finished space, central AC, all electric except propane furnace. I'm happy with it - especially since I didn't have to pay for installation.

Paperwork came with the house on the system - original cost was almost $48000, but after federal and state credits/rebates cost to owners was about $20,000. I figure with it installed in 2011 its about halfway thru its effective life.

Last edited by MikeL2; 02/24/21.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
What do you use for a battery system? Thanks.

https://postimg.cc/xXjW1cqx/81efa4c5

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Soli Deo Gloria

democrats ARE the plague.

16bore Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I wish they’d make those panels look like shingles.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by oldtrapper

Are you asking me? - no storage/no batteries - it's not a get-off-the-grid system.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hail stone problems here. They can break if hit hard enough.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Keep in mind that if you install one of these systems on your home with a 10+ year payment plan and something in life changes and you decide to sell the house you have to convince the buyer to pick up your remaining tab on the solar system or you walk away with a bill that you either have to pay off or continue making payments on. Not a big deal if you are never going to sell your house but something to think about if selling before paid off!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by mtnsnake
Hail stone problems here. They can break if hit hard enough.

That was huge down here in southern Colorado in the last few years, many panels were damaged from South of Castle Rock to S of Pueblo and west. I remember driving along Hwy 115 which parallels Ft Carson and they had put panels on almost every military home , so many of them were destroyed. Gotta have insurance on them.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by MikeL2
Originally Posted by oldtrapper

Are you asking me? - no storage/no batteries - it's not a get-off-the-grid system.

Nope JeffA. Thanks

https://postimg.cc/xXjW1cqx/81efa4c5

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Soli Deo Gloria

democrats ARE the plague.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 16bore
I wish they’d make those panels look like shingles.

Tesla's look pretty close to shingles.

Quando omni flunkus moritati
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

76 members (7mm_Loco, 14idaho, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 14 invisible), 1,292 guests, and 847 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,868
Posts18,478,678
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.