Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Originally Posted by Angus1895
Please don't think I am trying to do any thing but learn. I am ignorant,

So what does being 6 2 have to do with your deal?

Is it because you can't get a lower cheek " weld?"

Yes. I have a big head too.

DigitalDan;
Good evening to you my cyber friend, I hope you folks had a good day and all who matter to you are well.

That's a wonderful arm there sir, thanks much to you and the others for sharing the photos, I personally enjoy seeing what stock makers have created.

I had to chuckle at your last post here as it reminded me of a couple stocks I made for bigger folks over the years.

The first one was a chap about 6'4" with a neck that a stork would envy... wink I had him try one of my rifles with a fair Monte Carlo on it and it fit him very well, but he'd read too many Jack O'Connor articles and wanted a "classic" which was what he chose.

When I got it all together for him without the scope on and we did a test fit, I said to him, "You sir are a candidate for high rings..." laugh

The other one was for a chap who I never did meet in person. He was the Sargent of a LEO buddy of mine in a metropolitan service at the coast. Buddy said he was part First Nations, not very talkative and a really big guy.

He sent the parts out here with my buddy - a Model 70 barreled action and semi-inletted blank with some really nice figure. I called him to try to ascertain what the measurements might be and the conversation went thusly.

Me, "So my buddy X, says your a big fellow, just how tall are you?"

Him, "Pretty big yah"

Me, "Hmmmm, okay... well X says you wanted checkering too, what did you have in mind? Wrap around for the grip? Fore end in panels or wrap around? Any patterns you like or don't like?

Him, "Surprise me"

eek eek eek

Honestly Dan, the only thing I got from the one conversation was that he absolutely wanted a maple wafer spacer on the rosewood fore end tip and grip cap... which I tried to talk him out of but that wasn't happening.

I finished it up, sent it with buddy back to him and heard he was thrilled with it, but still have no clue if it fits him. laugh

Anyways, I'll note that I mentioned Model 70's and Jack O'Connor in the post so didn't totally drive the thread into the rhubarb, but I suppose we are in the ditch and I apologize for that.

All the best to you all regardless Dan.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by GSPfan
Nice Kudu !!! Whats the rifle?

The rifle is a custom 1909 Argentine Mauser , double square bridge, built by Dennis Erhardt in 7x57 of course , exquisite rifle, with nice discreet engraving etc. Belongs to a friend who thought I should take it to Africa...so I did!

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I got a .416 R that Dennis built. What a jewel!

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I got a .416 R that Dennis built. What a jewel!

He does great work! My buddy had this one and a .404 built by Dennis likewise exquisite but fancier. My buddys grandson dropped the 7x57 putting the first little dings in it, so I said " I'll take that one to Africa!" Neidner style engraved buttplate which I covered with duct tape so I would mark it up sitting it repeatedly in the Namibian sand. It was a joy to handle and shoot, and hunt.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
It's always great when we get to the "my wood is better" and "my screws are better" stage.....

It generally doesn't take long, John. smile

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by jpb
Originally Posted by RevMike

Can you imagine what a rifle owned by Jack O'Connor AND Ingwe would be worth?! grin

John

''
Where do you think Jack O'Connor .... got the rifle from?

second off topic subject.... was JOC any relation to AOC?

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Thats quite a friend. You have to love the 7X57 it will do most anything. God forbid if I could only have two rifles one would be a 7X57.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Thats quite a friend. You have to love the 7X57 it will do most anything. God forbid if I could only have two rifles one would be a 7X57.

Yeah in 1999 dollars he had over $7500 in that rifle. The only time I ever paid for insurance on my guns going to Africa. It appeared to be a good thing for awhile...leaving Africa I put the guns on Namibian Air, and then didnt see them for almost two weeks...when they arrived on Alaskan Air...I didnt even want to know what happened. I didn't tell the owner about the disappearance at all, till I had the gun back in hand. No need for BOTH of us to worry! laugh

The same guy went to a gun guild show and paid $350 for a Rigby bolt peep for the .404 just so I could shoot it...

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D

Rev. Mike: his other one would also be a 7x57.

grin

DF

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
You just can't go wrong with this caliber. I have three smile

IC B3

R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

Rev. Mike: his other one would also be a 7x57.

grin

DF

You ain't wrong.

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Well, if that one is worth $15K I'll sell this one for $14K or best offer. Yeah, it's a 7x57. Might even be related to Jack's rifle.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Dan that is one seriously nice rifle. I stepped in it last time a "JOC provenance" gun got mentioned here by reporting that a local gun shop was a reputable outfit and later came to find out the gun was a POS that likely never saw Jack or his Wife in the real world.
No matter with yours...... whoever made it really hit the mark. Its a great piece of history and darn fine looking
Thanks for posting.

I used to only shoot shotguns and rimfires, then I made the mistake of getting a subscription to handloader.......
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Saw an older article the other day that said JOC's last custom rifle was a Ruger m77 in 280. He got smart right at the end 😇😂

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by RevMike
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
It's always great when we get to the "my wood is better" and "my screws are better" stage.....

It generally doesn't take long, John. smile

Well, I'm not braggin' mind you, but my wood is better....

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Jack's rifle is worth every penny.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Well, if that one is worth $15K I'll sell this one for $14K or best offer. Yeah, it's a 7x57. Might even be related to Jack's rifle.

A proper beauty!

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
N
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by clockwork_7mm
Saw an older article the other day that said JOC's last custom rifle was a Ruger m77 in 280. He got smart right at the end 😇😂

You misspelled senile.

“Factio democratica delenda est"
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Oh, I have a few too.

Have hunted with all of these, except the No. 1, due to buying it too late last fall to check it out thoroughly before big game season ended.

[Linked Image]

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I remember the article about that break action when it came out in Rifle or Hand Loader. Always liked the look of that one. The wood on the rifle just under it in the photo also is quite nicely done.

Last edited by Bob_B257; 02/24/21.

I used to only shoot shotguns and rimfires, then I made the mistake of getting a subscription to handloader.......
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Actually, that was a photo I took for an article, which didn't show the details all too well here. Some better details shots of three of the rifles:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

653 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 1eyedmule, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 70 invisible), 3,031 guests, and 1,382 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,231
Posts18,485,667
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.