Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by sackett
Originally Posted by MM879
Originally Posted by smithrjd
Are these worth the installation cost? Buying our retirement home, and it has a water heater (75 gallon) in the attic.Second floor heated by an AquaTherm system. Don't really like that idea, whole bunch of water that could escape.. Running on propane. Plenty of room in the laundry room, gas and water piping present. Only issue would be the vent, might have to go up through the ceiling into the second floor attic then to the roof. I suppose it could be mounted in the same spot in the attic as well. In AR, so temps are moderate for the most part. Well water, no idea of its temp right now. Going to replace the older HVAC systems (two split units) so don't need the 75 gallon tanked one anymore.

Tankless water heaters have a huge burner in them. You need to have a flu study done to see if your furnace will draft with the tankless running. Tankless water heaters don't do well on well water, pun intended.

Wrong. They work just fine on well water. Have had my Rinnai LP running on well water for over 14 years....no issues. Have my exhaust/intake combo pipe running through the wall to the outside. And yes, I have hard water, a softener and also use a whole house filter.

And why do you think a make up air exhaust system was needed? DA

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Add me to the list of people with a tankless and love it. Gas ones are great, but avoid electric ones due to the extremely high current use. The "time delay" will be the same whether tank or tankless - it depends only on distance from heater to faucet.

Ours is in the furnace room and taking out the old tank gave us enough room to install the tankless one and a water softener. Win Win.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I like my tank, but I’m old fashioned

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Kodiakisland
Will a tankless heater work with the gas lines I already have, or do the tankless systems use a larger line?

Depending on what size gas line you have now, It will likely need to be upgraded,

But, generally not a big deal.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Are these worth the installation cost? Buying our retirement home, and it has a water heater (75 gallon) in the attic.Second floor heated by an AquaTherm system. Don't really like that idea, whole bunch of water that could escape.. Running on propane. Plenty of room in the laundry room, gas and water piping present. Only issue would be the vent, might have to go up through the ceiling into the second floor attic then to the roof. I suppose it could be mounted in the same spot in the attic as well. In AR, so temps are moderate for the most part. Well water, no idea of its temp right now. Going to replace the older HVAC systems (two split units) so don't need the 75 gallon tanked one anymore.

Tankless water heaters have a huge burner in them. You need to have a flu study done to see if your furnace will draft with the tankless running. Tankless water heaters don't do well on well water, pun intended.

Wrong. They work just fine on well water. Have had my Rinnai LP running on well water for over 14 years....no issues. Have my exhaust/intake combo pipe running through the wall to the outside. And yes, I have hard water, a softener and also use a whole house filter.

It is a sealed firebox moron. Maybe if you actually owned and used one you would know that and that they work just fine with a well.

Last edited by sackett; 02/21/21.
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Many of the posts apply to all water heaters, not just tankless. Any heater or pipe can freeze if it gets cold. Distance from the heater is an entirely separate issue.

About that 80 gal of stored water in a tank...how do you get it out of the tank when the power's out and the pressure tank is empty? Suggestions?

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Open the drain valve?

Conduct is the best proof of character.
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
There are also point of use heaters, smaller less lost heat.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M

It is a sealed firebox moron. Maybe if you actually owned and used one you would know that and that they work just fine with a well.

Some do, some don't. Well water processed through a softener is not raw well water.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 284LUVR
Why outside ?

In a retrofit, where your old electric hot water heater was may preclude being able to run a vent, in our case would go through the middle of an upstairs bathroom. Outside wall cures all that.

To preserve liberty it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them.-Richard Henry Lee

Endowment Member NRA, Life Member SAF-GOA, Life-Board Member, West TN Director TFA
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by EdM
Open the drain valve?

Unless you open and flush it regularly, which few do, drain valves are famous for leaking once opened. They get sediment in them.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Mounting the tankless water heater outside is a VERY BAD idea. Son had one, in Alabama, and it would freeze up in winter at 25* temperatures. In attic is OK, IF you have a catch pan underneath it, and drain to outside in case of a leak.

The 75 gallons is NEEDED for your Aquatherm system. It is very efficient and very cost effective. The water heater provides enough hot water to heat your home on one cycle without even coming on. If it is in good shape I would leave it alone. It is about 90% efficient to operate on heating.

Now, IF you use a tankless heater, you will have to install two of them. One for your heating system if you keep it, and one for your hot water. Both very efficient and cost effective, but more expensive than a traditional water heater. You can install two standard 40 gallon water heaters, one for the heat and one for the hot water. Valve them so you can rotate them for the heating part. I had a friend do this because you can always find a 40 gallon at Lowes or Home Depot if one goes out and change it out your self. Use all flexible connectors when installing.

I worked for a gas company for 40 years. I know what I am talking about.

Attic is not the first choice without a good pan underneath. However, an attic water heater in summer hardly ever runs as the attic gets hot, thus using some passive solar assist in summer.

Email me if you have more questions.

Don't know what your house looks like, but relocating water heaters can be a hassle. Gas is better for power outages. On the Aquasystem, you can have an external plug attachment to operate the fan motor and water pump on 110 volts from a generator and have central heating in a winter power outage.

You can also go to a high efficient gas furnace and a tankless heater in your attic. This is easier sometimes because an HVAC man can't work on plumbing unless he has a plumbing license and vice versa. I had an Aquatherm system in my house that lasted 30 years. I just changed it out and had to use both a plumber and a Heat/AC man to put in a standard 40 gallon tank and a gas furnace, which I had them have a bypass for the main power to run off a generator in case of power outage. I simply flip a switch and plug in an extension cord to operate with power off. If power comes back on, I unplug the generator and flip the switch back on manually. I have hot water and heat in a power outage. I have a 10,000 watt tri fuel generator than can run on gasoline, propane, or natural gas. Cost about $2,000 and is portable.

Last edited by Dixie_Dude; 02/21/21.
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
The home was built in '98, 3100sqft. The HVAC is original. Water heater is 18 years old, to me a disaster waiting to happen. There are pans and drains both on the water heater and AquaTherm unit. The house has two split units, separate furnaces and A/C compressors. One unit running the main floor, the Aquatherm and smaller AC compressor run the second story. The AC units are 10 SEER... Not sure about the gas line size, looked normal to me. 5/8" perhaps? From the home inspection all are working, but old and on their last legs. Inefficient as Bleep as well I am sure. Well pressure was good, filling tub, shower on, and kitchen sink wide open. Planning on replacing everything with new more efficient units. One unit perhaps could run it all but then I would be looking at Duct work. I would like to get the water heater out of the attic. Three man doors into the attic, and the units are at the peak, so access and working room is not an issue. After closing I will talk with some HVAC folks and see what they say as to cost etc.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
If you go the Tank route put a pump on it to circulate the hot water and it will be almost instant. They have a timer on them to run only when busy time of the day also if thats what you want. They have to have an outlet to plug into though and a recirc line

Last edited by sherm_61; 02/21/21.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I have a Rinnai natural gas tankless mounted inside and I have well water.
Run a cartridge filter in a clear housing on the inlet line. Also look into an item called Clear Wave and hook it up on your inlet also. It works great.
This setup is one of the best things I have done in my home.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
I have a tankless heater on one side of the house (tank on the other) and it is mounted in the outside wall. Never froze during Snowmageddan last week. It is mounted on the south wall and gets sun this time of year from the instant the sun rises until the instant it sets.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by sherm_61
If you go the Tank route put a pump on it to circulate the hot water and it will be almost instant. They have a timer on them to run only when busy time of the day also if thats what you want. They have to have an outlet to plug into though and a recirc line

I have 2 on my house...one has the recirculate feature....set how you want...have well water works fine...mounted inside vent out wall....cant figure out why someone would mount outside unless there is never a chance of freezing....bob

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Tank for me.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I've seen several water heaters in the attics of homes. They do not leak all at once. It starts as a drip. Just check it occasionally. If you see signs of drips, find out where they are coming from and repair it. In 40 years I have never seen a "massive" leak. If you cut the water off to remove the old water heater, drain it first. A simple garden hose attached to the drain should drain it. Sometimes the drain valve will stop up, but it is usually rust and something sharp can loosen it up.

To make a water heater last a LIFETIME. Drain it every year and flush. Then every 5 years when it is turned off and being drained, replace the anode which is on top at a nut you unscrew. The anode attracts any millivolts of electricity which is what causes a water heater to corrode. The anode is usually a magnesium rod that is sacrificed to keep the other piping from corroding. Keeping it flushed and having a fresh anode in it can make it last a very long time. Mine lasted 20 years and I didn't flush it every year like I should have.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I had a tankless put in my garage two years ago. Very happy with it so far.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

539 members (1badf350, 1minute, 2500HD, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 117LBS, 59 invisible), 2,359 guests, and 1,355 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,167
Posts18,503,094
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.