Originally Posted by PintsofCraft
Heavy bullets seem to be challenged by those much lighter in effectiveness, dialing turrets, onX, GPS, rangefinders and sleek BC has influenced our thoughts and impressions.

What are the significant game changers (not the Sierra kind of Game Changer) that have encouraged a paradigm shift in your mind and challenged or changed what you’ve been thinking for years?

For me it was as simple as a CDS dial on a fellow hunters 270 Win shooting 150gr NP while shooting rocks across a very remote Newfoundland lake after a Moose hunt that showed me that my 300 Wby was both capable of so much more and over-powered for most game at the same time.

Anyhow, just love to hear about how those that have been chasing game (or punching paper) around the country (and beyond) for years have evolved with the new opportunities or gear that we are blessed (or cursed) with & what the gunwriters might have experienced that we should all look more closely at and seek to understand more thoroughly about our beloved pursuits.

Apologies for being long winded. I blame cabin fever.

Tim

I went bigger over the years. Started with 6.5 x 55 and 7 mm Rem Mag. Once I got hooked on hunting Africa I went to 8mm Mag and then finally 9.3 x 62. Once I started pounding various game with the 9.3, I stopped tracking them very far. I use .450 #2 NE and 450/400 NE for really big stuff.

I became a Mauser lover early on, and that's not changed, though I am found of Savage 99s, and have a new interest in Springfield '03s. Ahh, the classics!

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo