Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Before I moved here 16 years ago a WY friend told me the snow doesn't melt in WY, the wind blows it into Nebraska.

I thought that was funny.

Not anymore.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jnyork
Originally Posted by TheLastLemming76
We spent a couple of weeks driving through South Dakota and Wyoming on a family vacation a few years back. I loved it from prairies to the mountains it’s a beautiful state with as much open space as I’ve ever seen between towns.

One of our previous governors was fond of saying that Wyoming was just one town with very long streets.

Be getting your Wyoming plates and Wyoming driver's license right away, you'll make friends quicker.

First time you say something like "that aint the way we did it back in California (or wherever)" you're all done, might as well pack your bags.

"Who wants to get drunk and go shoot shiit???" aint the way most of us do things here.

+1

Proud NRA Life Member
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Saw this in small town NM this past wknd. I chuckled.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Originally Posted by High_Noon
Please enlighten us on how WY goes about the process of determining who is worthy and who is undesirable and further, how WY is legally able to reject undesirables.

That’s easy, an individual’s worth is determined by how they conduct themselves. What kind of neighbor & friend they show themselves to be by their actions, not by the tone of their skin or an accent. No, they can’t be legally ejected if they prove undesirable but that’s different from being “welcomed”.

This Site has a few adolescent maturity level guys who like to throw around their racial hatred & I generally won’t go out of my way to address that, But please do not equate the fact that my beloved state is mostly white with being mostly bigots, we’re not. I’ve spent plenty of time all over the country and have dealt with plenty of wretched folks. I’ve found they come in every color. It often takes time to weigh the quality of the truly good ones & I find they too, come in every color.

I find most of the folks on the campfire to be good guys with a strong interest in guns & hunting, which I appreciate. Most are conservative Republicans which I appreciate. Unfortunately a few make conservative, Republican, gun enthusiasts look exactly like the stereotype which the left would like to paint us as. Like a lot of rooms the loudest aren’t the majority, they just seek the most attention.

When someone starts shooting their mouth off with a lot of bigoted epithets two sentences in, they make it pretty damn easy to gauge their character.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
And down the same road as Colorado and Montana we go. Riots and Covid have put us on the map and most of the people moving here probably aren’t going to want to be members of the campfire

Last edited by Ralphie; 02/25/21.
IC B2

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Small population towns & great distances between them do a lot to keep behavior “neighborly”. In a big city you can give the other guy on the road the finger, for no great cause, & be fairly certain you’ll never see him again. In small towns you know you probably will run into him again, soon, so if you're not stupid you think out your responses to trivial transgressions a little more.

Likewise, criminals don’t have anywhere to blend in & aren’t likely to escape when there is 200 miles of two lane highway to traverse before the next town...

More people = more problems

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by TheLastLemming76
We spent a couple of weeks driving through South Dakota and Wyoming on a family vacation a few years back. I loved it from prairies to the mountains it’s a beautiful state with as much open space as I’ve ever seen between towns.

One of our previous governors was fond of saying that Wyoming was just one town with very long streets.

Be getting your Wyoming plates and Wyoming driver's license right away, you'll make friends quicker.

First time you say something like "that aint the way we did it back in California (or wherever)" you're all done, might as well pack your bags.

"Who wants to get drunk and go shoot shiit???" aint the way most of us do things here.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

THIS

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Anteloper
You’ll find Wyoming welcomes all good people who are helpful, decent citizens. Racist ass-hats can stay where they are.

Right. So WY welcomes all good, helpful, and decent people. Please enlighten us on how WY goes about the process of determining who is worthy and who is undesirable and further, how WY is legally able to reject undesirables.

Most, including me, would welcome good people regardless of ethnicity; unfortunately though, WY as well as every other state in the Union does not have the ability to reject anyone who wishes to move there. States don't even have the ability to reject the massive number of illegals that the FED is arbitrarily locating in cities throughout America.

It sounds to me like you haven't had the pleasure of spending time around these undesirables, these Dindus, who are overwhelmingly of a certain ethnicity. Once you've done so and you and those you love have been violated repeatedly, you can get back to us.

As to the racist ass-hat comment: GFY.

If you'd ever been to Wyoming you'd know how the process works.

No person has to do anything. The wind takes care of that for us.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Wyoming will be the state that is freeest the longest.

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
It was an instant stress relief to walk into a place and see... faces. I didn’t realize how much the BS bothered me.

For all the worriers, I don’t drink and shoot. Don’t even really drink beyond the occasional with a meal.

I know how to be the noob, so we’ll fit in fine.

“Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.”
― Ernest Hemingway
IC B3

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Nobody meant to say you shouldn’t drink or shoot.

Just not at the same time

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Anteloper: While I agree with most of your comments, I never said or implied that WY is mostly bigots. Virtually everyone I came into contact with in WY was very courteous and decent, which is one of the reasons I like it there.

Regarding ‘race,’ your comments are indeed correct, if not idealized. When your neighbor gets slaughtered in her driveway early one morning (in a good neighborhood), when burglary, car-jackings, murder (including the murder of police officers), and home invasions become commonplace; idealism quickly fades.

Your snap judgement is based upon a singular comment and does not even consider a person’s experience. Nor does it consider any of that individuals previous writings, some of which have been posted here on the ‘fire, but you could certainly be forgiven that due to the fact that you’re new here.

Rather than high-jack this thread any longer, I will simply refer you an essay I penned regarding racism. After reading it, you will be in a better position to make your own determination regarding my character.

Racism

Last edited by High_Noon; 02/25/21.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Rifles And More:

How's the wind since you've been there?

I was in Laramie about 5 years ago and I felt like I had stepped back in time. [b]Virtually no groids, messikans, or camel jockeys at all - I don;t even remember seeing any. All the personnel at the hotel were white [/b]- the cleaning staff was comprised of mostly good-looking white chicks from the U of WY. Everyone working at local shops and restaurants was white as well. It was refreshing and I felt like I had traveled back to the 50's or 60's. Man it was nice and like you said, it felt good.

Congratulations on yer move.

Right! Don’t know how any of the above could lead to the “ snap judgement” that you are attempting to interject racism & bigotry into the narrative.

I did read your essay, it IS well written & shows deep thought but belies the same assumption that “all” should be blamed for what “some” do.

I’m new to the fire, but not new to life. I lived in Los Angeles, CA where I was a Los Angeles Cop for 34 years. Not unfamiliar with a melting pot of races obviously including illegal aliens. Without going too long I’d summarize where you & I disagree as I think the percentage of “bad actors” is a tiny minority of the group & I hear you flipping that ratio, while broad brushing the whole group.

It’s not my intent to denigrate you personally. Just the harsh statements. I have had friends who were all of the above races, who were murdered by all of the above races. I don’t blame everyone in any particular race for any of that.

You & I do agree on a lot. Just not what bigotry is.

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Welcome to WY “Rifles And More”!

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by Anteloper
Please enlighten us on how WY goes about the process of determining who is worthy and who is undesirable and further, how WY is legally able to reject undesirables.

That’s easy, an individual’s worth is determined by how they conduct themselves. What kind of neighbor & friend they show themselves to be by their actions, not by the tone of their skin or an accent. No, they can’t be legally ejected if they prove undesirable but that’s different from being “welcomed”.

This Site has a few adolescent maturity level guys who like to throw around their racial hatred & I generally won’t go out of my way to address that, But please do not equate the fact that my beloved state is mostly white with being mostly bigots, we’re not. I’ve spent plenty of time all over the country and have dealt with plenty of wretched folks. I’ve found they come in every color. It often takes time to weigh the quality of the truly good ones & I find they too, come in every color.

I find most of the folks on the campfire to be good guys with a strong interest in guns & hunting, which I appreciate. Most are conservative Republicans which I appreciate. Unfortunately a few make conservative, Republican, gun enthusiasts look exactly like the stereotype which the left would like to paint us as. Like a lot of rooms the loudest aren’t the majority, they just seek the most attention.

When someone starts shooting their mouth off with a lot of bigoted epithets two sentences in, they make it pretty damn easy to gauge their character.

Well said! That is how I see Wyoming too.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Wyoming is my favorite place to go to for hospitality. I do quite a bit of shooting praire dogs and coyotes up there and have never felt out of place. Somewhere you can still get respected and can give it back.That is kind of rare in todays world.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
after movie Shane ,and reading C.J.Box novels about game warden Joe pickett and reading Longmire novels ,i want to move to Wyoming ,.not sure i am young enough to like the winters ,so i might just visite someday

Last edited by rem shooter; 02/26/21.

NRA Life Member
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
We finally said ‘screw it’ and went all in. Quit a good job and cashed out some future to own a house and a piece of land to build on.

Dreams don’t happen by themselves. We’ll give it a good go and see how it works.

“Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.”
― Ernest Hemingway
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Rifles And More
We finally said ‘screw it’ and went all in. Quit a good job and cashed out some future to own a house and a piece of land to build on.

Dreams don’t happen by themselves. We’ll give it a good go and see how it works.

We did the same thing 40 years ago. Had some tough years but made a go of it. Someone said once that "those who work the hardest usually have the best luck". Have found that to be true.

Where are you in Wyoming?

[Linked Image]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Rifles And More

Where are you in Wyoming?

And where did you move here from? Just curious as we are having a huge influx of people here mostly from the west coast and NE.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

482 members (12344mag, 01Foreman400, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 160user, 41 invisible), 2,507 guests, and 1,292 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,628
Posts18,474,244
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.