Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by taylorce1
I have a 1K and 500 gallon tank, only fill up once a year. Usually July or August whenever propane is the cheapest. Local guy likes us as we pay in full promptly, and he gives us the heads up when it is time to buy. Also gives 5 cent discount per gallon if we pay cash or check within 5 business days. His business is seven miles away the next one is about 30, he's beat everyone I've shopped an average of 10 cents a gallon over the last six years.

I like having two tanks, our next house will have two as well.

Usually how it works. If the company doesn't own the tank or really trust you they'll want cash because they can't lock off the tank if you don't pay. Retired from the biz after fifteen years and will never rent a tank.

Last edited by JLimbo; 02/25/21. Reason: repeated term

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
I prefer to own. The independence affords you the opportunity to shop for the best deals. Also, with the world being run by ambulance chasing attorneys.....a rented/lease tank may not have a “thief” valve. I never pay to have propane bottles filled. The refills are cheaper per gallon, and that is one more trip to town.....I didn’t have to make! memtb

Last edited by memtb; 02/25/21.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
Where I am the propane company provides the tanks free. If you want to buy from someone else they take the tanks away and the new company set theirs up. There might be a one time installation fee, don't know, I'm using the company/tanks that came with house when I bought it, but there is no rent.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I owned mine before we got natural gas lines in the neighborhood.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I own two, a 320 and a upright 120.

I'm thinking about buying another 120 for my shop. Using two 100lb cylinders out there now but I have to haul them off to be filled.

Its a lot cheaper here to own and buy in the summer.

IC B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
We have been renting for 24 years. Never had a problem with a tank.
If you own the tank you can shop around and get much cheaper propane. If we owned the tank we would have saved several thousand dollars over the years, after we had paid for the tank.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
Around this county, there is a good portion of the west county that doesn't have electricity. Propane is kind of the lifeline of those people. The propane distributors know this and ride that horse to death. All the distributors have the same reputation as undertakers, used car salesmen, politicians and personal injury lawyers. One old guy showed me his delivery tickets, almost all had totals just under 100 gallons. I asked why and he told me when he signed up with them, they promised a 25% discount on deliveries over 100 gallons. Later, a senior center legal advisor discovered, they were charging him tank rent on a tank he owned. Liars, thieves and crooks, around here.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
we own our 500 gallon tank. As others have said, having the choice to shop around for cheaper prices, saves us money. Fill once a year, Aug. or Sept., and good to go. Have never needed any work to any parts of the system.
Best thing of all, my dad bought this tank for us from a farm sale many years ago, for $100. Put a fresh paint on it and it's been GTG.

Laws aren't preventative measures. In other words, more laws won't prevent gun crime from happening.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
When I had propane I leased the tank. All the companies around here are around the same price, not worth the hassle of ownership in my opinion.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Lease 100% and I'm usually pro owning anything. The payback here in CO was 21 years (lease vs buying). With a leased tank if anything goes wrong, valve, rust, pipe, it's on them. They switch the tank out at their cost. After installing a whole house backup generator, I switched providers from an expensive local provider to a larger state/national provider (Ferrell gas) and it's not the cheapest propane but typically very competitive here. The main reason I switched was the local provider would not give me a 1000gal. tank - said my usage didn't justify it. Win win for me, I got a 1000gal tank and cheaper gas.

IC B3

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
The propane supplier got to charging $100/year rent for the tank.
My FIL put propane on the place20+ years ago.
3 years ago, I bought 2 refurbed, 250 gal tanks for $600 apiece (all new fittings).
Installed one at the ranch, installed the other at my Dad's house at Raton.
We also had a back-up generator installed. The local electric company couldn't keep power on.
Dad was 89 at the time, living alone in an all electric house.
3 more years, and I'm money ahead - plus, I'm not limited to any single gas company, I can buy wherever I want.

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
always own your own. shop for a used, refurbished tank (as mentioned above). I would NOT go with the in-ground option. maintenance long term can be problematic

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Own, shop anywhere for your gas!

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Own..had an amerigas tank and called them for a fill, when I got the bill in was just over 2x the going rate of propane. Called them and hitched about it. Said that was the rate for existing customers. Had a buddy call them and ask rates for a new customer tank set. 15 cents a gallon less than everyone else. I don't use enough propane a year to justify the rental. Bought my tank and have a local company fill it. I call around each time beforehand and they've yet to be beat.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by slumlord
Around here if you lease, only the gas company that supplies the tank can sell you propane

If you own, you can shop for propane best prices

That has made a huge difference for us. We bought a place with a 500 gallon tank dated 1956. The old propane supplier was evidently very inflexible and had plenty of customers so even though it had serviced this place in the past, they wanted a full inspection of my entire heating system and prices were not competitive.

I had a HVAC guy install a fresh valve and found a new propane company that provides great prices for bulk purchases and wonderful, prompt service.

Norm

Norman Solberg
International lawyer, lately for 25 years in Japan, now working on trusts in the US, the 3rd greatest tax haven. NRA Life Member for over 50 years, NRA Endowment (2014), Patron (2016).
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

531 members (1beaver_shooter, 1234, 1lesfox, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 58 invisible), 2,352 guests, and 1,273 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,383
Posts18,488,595
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.