Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
O
ol_mike Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
The ''Conflict'' areas might not mean ''highest population'' - conflict area means harming wildlife/livestock populations .

Any info. - I can't find any details ?

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
GB1

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Does this help?
https://myodfw.com/cougar-quota-zone

Looks like blue mountains has the largest quota.

O
ol_mike Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Thanks - links to map were dead earlier today .

I'll look at the blue mountain terrain tomorrow on my big screen - google earth .

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
J
JDK Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Several years ago I elk hunted in the Desolation unit. I saw a mountain lion and there was a good bit of sign. Impressive animal.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by ol_mike
Thanks - links to map were dead earlier today .

I'll look at the blue mountain terrain tomorrow on my big screen - google earth .

Send me a pm I live in the walla walla unit. We have lots of lions

IC B2

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
The one with the least amount of people.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Seeing cougars in NE Oregon is pretty darn common any more. Have fun. Watch your back.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Anywhere NE Oregon with good deer numbers. Not sure how the woofs are affecting lion numbers but recently wolves are cleaning out game in some areas. Check with fish and game or local ranchers (they're down at the cafe)

LOL
O
ol_mike Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
10FO

Hoping to move west May or June .

Posted by Bristoe
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You should be able to find you a cougar in any bar in Portland.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Dancing Bear
Seeing cougars in NE Oregon is pretty darn common any more. Have fun. Watch your back.

Saw large mountain lion take down a big cow elk archery hunting north of cornucopia a few years ago. They're cats all over the state

O
ol_mike Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
I had a picture of a ML taken near Pendleton , Oregon , FlyBuster was his screen name - Tanner F. - lost contact with him ph.# changed .

Anyway we got stuck in the mud/snow while coyote hunting SW Idaho Owyhee Desert and his friend who killed the Lion came over and pulled us out .
Big guy 6'2'' holding up a HUGE ML thing was crazy -big male .

It ran into a cave after being shot and Bill [ just remembered his name] called a friend - they went in after it - finished it off - dragged it out . Tanner traded fresh Elk steaks for some ML meat - great eating I hear .

Posted by Bristoe
O
ol_mike Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
You should be able to find you a cougar in any bar in Portland.

Yeah 50 year old kook with kool-aid colored hair - wearing an old dirty Hillary for President T-shirt smile

Posted by Bristoe
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I had a picture of a ML taken near Pendleton , Oregon , FlyBuster was his screen name - Tanner F. - lost contact with him ph.# changed .

Anyway we got stuck in the mud/snow while coyote hunting SW Idaho Owyhee Desert and his friend who killed the Lion came over and pulled us out .

It ran into a cave after being shot and Bill [ just remembered his name] called a friend - they went in after it - finished it off - dragged it out . Tanner traded fresh Elk steaks for some ML meat - great eating I hear .
That soil out there can be something to behold when it gets wet...as you found out. I don't know what's in it that makes it so greasy.

― George Orwell

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

That soil out there can be something to behold when it gets wet...as you found out. I don't know what's in it that makes it so greasy.

Bentonite?

O
ol_mike Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
I heard people call it 'gumbo' - slick - packs in the tire treads to the point you can't even rock the truck back and forth , just spins .
It was a scene like when Chevy Chase jumped the cattle gap out in the desert on the way to wally-world , we climbed a big ole butte and his phone was able to get a slight signal - enough to get a call out .
Bill drove over 100 miles to help us -- we'd had a long walk that's for sure .
We did a few hours of long-range shooting waiting on Bill .

Posted by Bristoe
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I was out south of Glenns Ferry one time in a rain storm. I got out of my Blazer and If I hadn't had a grip on the steering wheel, I'd have been flat on my face in it. My feet absolutely could not get a grip to stand up. I had 4 chains on the Blazer or it wouldn't have gone anywhere. You really didn't want to get off the road when it's like that.

― George Orwell

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I was out south of Glenns Ferry one time in a rain storm. I got out of my Blazer and If I hadn't had a grip on the steering wheel, I'd have been flat on my face in it. My feet absolutely could not get a grip to stand up. I had 4 chains on the Blazer or it wouldn't have gone anywhere. You really didn't want to get off the road when it's like that.

Elk hunting in the Beulah unit East of Prairie City a few years ago and was walking a very narrow and steep logging road when I hit an even steeper grade. I started slipping all over the place and fell, had a hell of a time getting back up (I am age 81 now, so must have been about 78 then). That's when I really realized I was getting too old for the solo hunt . I go with my son or partner now, or not at all. There was no gravel on the road, just dirt and it had rained hard the night before. I finally had to get off the road and walk the terrain paralleling it. I don't think a 4 wheeler would of got up it, either. Yeah, slicker than snot! smile

CJ

Last edited by CascadeJinx; 02/24/21. Reason: typo
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've since heard this one came from somewhere else than the subheading but wow what a cat.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

LOL
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
SW Oregon is loaded with them... particularly Josephine and Curry Counties....

I've seen some pretty darn big ones out in the backwoods....they will usually take off....

have been in an area with them and have seen their tracks that followed me in the snow... from my vehicle and then back to it...but never saw or smelled them...

evidently they respond well to turkey calls if hunting them....

as far as size and strength of a cougar.... I spent several nights with a friend on someone's farm, who had a cougar killing animals on the farm at night and dragging them away to eat later..... we found a 400 pound llama 40 to 50 feet up a tree, dead.... two nights later, another group shot the cougar, that was hassling the farm... it weighed 110 lbs....and Fish and Game said it was probably the one that drug that 400 pound llama 40 feet or more up a tree....

as the old commercial from the 70s said... It's not nice to fool mother nature....

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

77 members (10gaugemag, 808outdoors, 257robertsimp, 7mm_Loco, 13 invisible), 1,197 guests, and 709 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,868
Posts18,478,685
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.