Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
Will we see hyperinflation soon or has it already started? I heard on the radio yesterday that used car prices rose at 14 times the feds published rate of inflation. I know home prices are through the roof and food and luxury items and recreational toys and ammo are up big too.

My neighbor back in 2008 was convinced hyperinflation was coming when Obama did that huge stimulus plan to pay off his political buddies. The one they said was for shovel ready jobs but didn't go towards any. This neighbor told me I needed to hurry and get out of debt because hyperinflation was coming. I told him if hyperinflation was really coming I was going to go borrow all the money I could and buy hard assets. If money was going to be basically worthless I wanted to owe it to others not have it sitting in my savings.

That made him think a bit. He then said he hadn't thought of it like that but after thinking about it that I might be right.

I've been thinking about that conversation lately and trying to game theory the crazy government spending. I'm convinced that the only way out of the massive debt we have is to devalue the currency. I think there's a plan to do so and the politicians are in on it. Imagine handing the Chinese a couple of Zimbabwe style trillion $ bills and saying there's the money you loaned us. That's probably why they are throwing trillions around like it's nothing. The question is, when? My neighbor was convinced it was going to happen about 2009. Here we are a dozen years later and $100 is still worth more than the paper it's printed on.

What are your thoughts on hyperinflation? Is it coming and when? How do you prepare? I like being out of debt and I think food and energy will take up most of our income when it happens but I wonder about having a bunch of cash in savings and retirement accounts. Should I be using said cash along with some low interest loans to go heavy into hard assets. I still worry the economy could go full depression and then the assets would devalue and I'd wish I had that cash in the bank to buy up properties and stuff while cheap.

1. Will the dollar collapse first?
2. Will a big depression hit and home prices etc drop?
3. Is everything going to coast along like Obama years barely treading water?
4. Will another Trump like boom happen?

Bb

V
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
I haven’t had my coffee yet.

This is going to be an interesting subject.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I am not an economist, nor did I play one on TV. But. You just can't keep watering down the money supply without causing inflation. Dump a trillion or so here, a trillion or so there of the magic printed money into the economy and it will have a negative effect.

Last edited by Mannlicher; 02/27/21.

Sam......

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
the plan is to destroy the dollar and inflation run wild until the retirement that the conservatives saved in IRA and 401k is worthless and we become just as poor as the worthless craps that wouldn't work their whole life and those that didn't save for retirement.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
They can't have total control til the use of CBDC's (central bank digital currency). Purposefully done or not, the USD will not exist in it's present form, much longer.
Humans will continue to sell their freedom for the sake of convenience. When it hits the fan this time, we don't come back from it.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I don’t know if there is an actual plan to devalue the dollar. When it comes to spending, I believe most of the dems are too stupid to understand what the consequences are. All is I know is that gold should be at 10,000 an oz and decent farm ground should be 20,000 an acre, that’s if you figure the national debt into the equation. I think most other countries also have heavy debt loads so who knows what happens. Warren Buffet said the debt won’t be repaid it will be “refunded”. I haven’t quite wrapped my mind around that one....

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
At some point and time if you keep giving stuff away you end up with nothing. I feel those who think they are financially secure are going to pay the price for all their hard work. The freeloaders and deadbeats can't afford to pay attention and don't give a damn.

Life is good live it while you can.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That’s for sure

V
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
“Refunded “? Yeah I don’t know how to interpret for sure.

I feel there should be a bounty on bankers, politians, media moguls. Greedy bastids....

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Sam......

IC B3

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
More water in the soup.

Like jumping off a tall building, so far, so good.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What specific Trump-like boom are you referring to?

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
10 yield curve.

You can continue to print away as long as the rest of the G 8 Nations are doing the same. We aren’t the only country awash in debt overhang.

Now,,,does that make me or anyone else here feel comfortable ?

Fugg no it doesn’t.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hyperinflation is usually a relatively short term event. The plan is to come out the other side in decent shape. Then use assets to acquire bargains. What assets will hold value that is the question?
Historically the answer would be gold/silver, real money

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Don’t know.

There was no inflation after Obama sunk a Trillion into the regular economy in 2009.

The GDP was down 3.5% in 2020. So that’s money out of the economy.

GDP per household was down about $1500 last year.

Note that new stimulus gives most households $1400 in just passed package. Not coincidence.

Note that per capita GDP has grown from about $43,000 in 2010 to $68,000 in 2020 with very little inflation.

Note that the enormous debt has not caused inflationary pressure.

There has been very low inflation numbers in Europe for the past 2 decades. Nothing there to spill over.

China’s consumption of consumer goods has slowed easing inflation pressure in that sector.

Rising fuel prices can cause inflationary pressure, but did not when oil peaked in 2008-10.

I’ve heard gloom and doom on inflation for 3 decades, but. nothing has triggered it world wide or domestically. Not even the second Gulf War.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I’ve been telling my family and friends for many years that sporty times are coming ahead, and we better all buckle up.

The rise and falls of empires. Been happening since the dawn of time. It will just be our turn.

The only difference between now and the past is that there are more people on the earth, the world in more enmeshed financially and socially, and there are weapons that can end mankind quickly.

I don’t think we will be able to outrun this tsunami coming.

"Successful is leaving something in better shape than you inherited it in. Keep that in mind, son." Dad
L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
The secret to sleeping soundly is to know deep inside that you can, and will eat people. Buy salt.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by irfubar
Hyperinflation is usually a relatively short term event. The plan is to come out the other side in decent shape. Then use assets to acquire bargains. What assets will hold value that is the question?
Historically the answer would be gold/silver, real money

The hyperinflation from 73 into the 1980s wasn’t exactly a short term event and it took someone like Paul Voelker to do what had to be done to bring it to heel.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Toot, that was not hyperinflation, think Zimbabwe, Weimar Germany, etc.....

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
The government can print money without inflation right up to the point they can’t. The way they’re printing money and using it has caused massive inflation where it’s going. The stock market has no basis in traditional valuation. Home and auto prices are also being inflated by the near free money available. It seems as long as there is no shortage of consumer products to buy , no shortage of labor to drive up wages , and a shortage of dollars to purchase said goods the government can print money and give it away. At the point the dollars saturate the market they will spark inflation. Inflation is like wildfire in that the fuel has slowly built up over time then a spark occurres and the fire it starts is many magnitude of the spark that started the wildfire. There’s a ton of inflationary fuel in our forest but the spark hasn’t hit the right fuel yet. Fuel will keep building until the world economy burns or there’s a real effort to clear the fuel. Either will be extremely socially painful.

Last edited by Daveinjax; 02/27/21.

‘TO LEARN WHO RULES OVER YOU, SIMPLY FIND OUT WHO YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO CRITICIZE’

Conspiracy theorists are the ones who see it all coming…

You are the carbon they want to eliminate !

I’m Uber Deplorable Ultra MAGA !
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

535 members (1beaver_shooter, 1234, 1lesfox, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 55 invisible), 2,364 guests, and 1,265 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,381
Posts18,488,572
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.