Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
My bud does go pro vids of his bike rides.
Pretty cool.
You should do some of NOLA

Pedal tour of sites or even just your reg blow the crud out loops.

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I'll tell you more about the house in the pic. One day the sun was shining directly on it, and the colors really popped. I stopped to snap a pic. As I was doing so a lady was walking down the path. I spoke to her and said the house was my favorite in the city and that it looked fun. She said it was hers and thanked me. She told me her husband designed and built it and asked me if I wanted to see it. Heck yeah. We walk inside and she speaks out to her husband who was sitting on the back porch in his underwear. He got dressed, introduced himself and gave me a tour. There were odd and incongruent architectural features in the house. He pointed them out and told me about them. Stuff from the old Jax brewery, warehouses that Katrina destroyed, treasures the river had deposited in his yard, and on and on. It came together really well and was as cool and happy as it was interesting.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Good deal.
Used to be a time folks could stop and knock and tell current residents they grew up or had fam way back that lived there and theyd be happy to let you in for a tour.

Did it with old fam as a kid.

Some neat places.

Went by my old uncles house last month. Its run down, whole neighborhood.

Sometimes its not good to go back

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Long trip. Thanks for sharing.

DF

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by hookeye
My bud does go pro vids of his bike rides.
Pretty cool.
You should do some of NOLA

Pedal tour of sites or even just your reg blow the crud out loops.

I am very technologically challenged. I'd like to video a couple loops around the Audubon Park path. Not just for the yoga pants, but for how remarkably unaware and unpredictable the users can be. People, like the girl in the pic, can't comprehend that the lane separation markings mean the same thing they do on roadways. They are "keep off" markings. They are designed to keep flailing arms and handlebars a safe distance apart. Just a baffling array of non-stop stupid.

But more to your point, I really do get a diverse and fascinating sampling of the city on this ride. I pass one building that has some kind of plants growing out of the brick walls. I can't keep a well nurtured house plant alive, and those damn plants grow in bricks.

IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
I have a 31 mile loop I do early on weekend mornings that gives me a glimpse of all that the NOLA area has to offer. Make no mistake about it, I hate living here, but in the quiet of an early weekend morning when I have the roads almost to myself, I can appreciate its character.

After about 3 miles of riding through mostly residential areas, I pop up onto the levee path. This morning the fog was thick and patchy.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

The path takes me from Old Jefferson to NOLA. There are only about 10 houses outside the levee protection system. Most of them are run down shacks, but this one is really cool. An architect built it and used a lot of materials of historical significance. One day when I was taking a pic of it, the builders wife started talking to me and invited me in to show it to me.

A little further down I come to a place in Audubon park called the Butterfly. The fog had cleared over the path but still clung to the chilly waters of the Big River. On pretty spring afternoons, women from the two nearby universities come here to lay out.

From there I roll around behind the zoo. Sometimes the giraffes are out. I always say "hello giraffes." Dogs, cows and giraffes rate a hello. Past the zoo a multi-use path encircles part of the park. It can make a fascinating study in human stupidity when it's crowded. Although the path is very well marked with one way bicycle symbols marking the bike side, two way pedestrian symbols marking their side and a separation zone, people just don't get it. There can be some very good yoga pants action here. Some that looks like serious hail damage too.

Out onto historic St Charles Avenue past the century old mansions, there is a narrow bike lane that presents some challenges. To stay out of the swing radius of car doors (door zone) sometimes you have to hug the left edge of the lane. While it's never busy when I ride it, some motorists feel a need to buzz pass. I guess they don't get why riders avoid the door zone.

My ride take me down into the CBD, into The Quarter and onto Bourbon Street. During non-Covid times, it can be nasty as hell. It was lightly littered today.

Then I emerge into an impoverished part of the city. If I am running late, sometimes I am treated to the joyous and soulful sound of southern black gospel being sung in this church. I stop to listen when they are singing.

From there I hit the Lafitte Greenway. This is new, and since I knew my stalker Bayou Rover would pop into this thread, I took this pic for him. New Orleans is a very free and diverse, anything goes kind of town. Bayou Rover would fit right in.

Then I pick up a path that parallels Bayou St John. BSJ used to connect the river to Lake Pontchartrain, but it has long been blocked off.

Then I ride along Lake P for several miles before I am back into the residential areas winding my way home. I make it hard for anyone to say "I didn't see him." The constant movement of the high vis socks is very attention getting.

That's it. Back home to cut and edge the lawn.

You’re how old and dress like that?

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
THERE ARE NO COINCIDENCES
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by slumlord
Was that black man just sitting there throwing his trash down and letting it blow away?

I don't know if he was tossing trash. He was having a great conversation with himself though.

You would not believe how nasty Bourbon Street is on a sweltering hot morning after a night of full-on partying. A toxic sludge of hot beer and hand grenades, mixed with puke and other bodily fluids on 90 degree streets. Then 20X as much litter as is in that pic.

I lived in PCola for a bit. Had a good friend at Tulane and would go over for the weekend pretty often. NO is an amazing town a weekend at a time but, no way in hell I’d live there. A sweltering morass of people and aerosolized feces.
It’s more than putrid, I just don’t know the word for it.

Cool photos though. Thanks for posting.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Thanks for the pics Paul. I hope you have a "piece" in that rear pack.

Due to the increased price of ammo, don't expect a warning shot...
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

This is my vision of Paul riding his bike:

[Linked Image from i.ytimg.com]

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I go to the business district 3-4 times/year and spend a few nights on business. I love getting up early in the morning and running around the quarter and then over into the warehouse district. Everyone is out cleaning the streets, trucks are supplying restaurants, garbage trucks are running. It's a different way to wake up.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MuskegMan

This is my vision of Paul riding his bike:

[Linked Image from i.ytimg.com]

All I can say about that is that I'd be glad that happened on a downhill.

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by TimberRunner
I go to the business district 3-4 times/year and spend a few nights on business. I love getting up early in the morning and running around the quarter and then over into the warehouse district. Everyone is out cleaning the streets, trucks are supplying restaurants, garbage trucks are running. It's a different way to wake up.

It's a completely different city first thing in the morning for sure. Much more my pace.

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MadMooner
Originally Posted by slumlord
Was that black man just sitting there throwing his trash down and letting it blow away?

I don't know if he was tossing trash. He was having a great conversation with himself though.

You would not believe how nasty Bourbon Street is on a sweltering hot morning after a night of full-on partying. A toxic sludge of hot beer and hand grenades, mixed with puke and other bodily fluids on 90 degree streets. Then 20X as much litter as is in that pic.

I lived in PCola for a bit. Had a good friend at Tulane and would go over for the weekend pretty often. NO is an amazing town a weekend at a time but, no way in hell I’d live there. A sweltering morass of people and aerosolized feces.
It’s more than putrid, I just don’t know the word for it.

Cool photos though. Thanks for posting.

The first time my wife heard me use the word putrifaction, it was describing what you did. She didn't think it was a real word. It is and it doesn't do the hot rotten toxic stew justice.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
There ain't enough $$$$$$ in TEXAS to get me to live in that S hit hole!!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
X
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
X
Paul, you're killin me. Waiting on the spring thaw here in western PA. I live in a mixed farming/residential area that is still asleep on most Saturday and Sunday mornings. I have a 25 mile loop on roads with great sight lines and very little traffic. Some mornings I might only see 20 or so vehicles counting both directions throughout the 25 miles. I've never been run off the road and everyone gives me a safe space. The worst thing to ever happen is a dog off leash now and then but have never been attacked.

Oh and for those who poke fun at riding shorts, you see most bicyclists are so well endowed that they need to keep things intact whilst on the little seat.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Used to hit NOLA in the big truck. Like most cities, it fascinated and
disgusted.

One really cool thing, was early morning deliveries.
Park a semi on the curb, and sit there watching the sun come up
and the city wake.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
We’ve always enjoyed ourselves when we’ve gone to Louisiana and while New Orleans has a rich history and great food there’s no way I could live in NO. I couldn’t live comfortably in any big city but in New Orleans I’ve never felt so far away from home. Even spending months on end backpacking and riding the rails from one corner of Europe to the other I felt closer to home than I did in New Orleans. 😬

I enjoyed fresh OJ, Coffee and beignets at Cafe du Monde in the mornings but after that I was headed out of the city. We usually stayed in Thibodaux, LA since we were there for our son to attend the Manning Passing Academy. We used Thibodaux as home base for our excursions. We’d stay a night in Biloxi or Pensacola but Thibodaux was a comfortable distance from the city which is what we prefer anyway.

I’ll take a different approach Paul and thank you for the pictures and little bike tour. Stay safe out there.

PS....do you carry when you ride?

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
NO is about as close as one can get to colonial Africa in the US 😬

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
W
WBT Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Very cool pictures. Coincidentally, I just ordered a Lynskey the other day.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
This is my bike the day I started building it.

Lynskey bikes are built here in the city I live in. They were Litespeed before selling and waiting 3 years(NCC) and starting Lynskey.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

535 members (10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 1234, 06hunter59, 219 Wasp, 63 invisible), 2,640 guests, and 1,203 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,311
Posts18,487,258
Members73,968
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.