-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I shot an Armadillo today, With one, and I am pretty sure that He is still dead. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
GB1

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Nosler 60 gr Partition in 223, will kill deer sized game,--- proper body shots

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Not sure how milk jugs correlates to fur, but I did this little test with the 55 BT's last fall.

I set 5 jugs at 50 yards on a saw horse, and lined things up.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Velocity was 2707 fps, and the shot knocked two jugs off.

Impact was dead center, jug was not really blown apart, basically split, with the bullet coming apart, which you can see the exit in the 1st jug.

I taped it somewhat together to get an idea of the damage.

2nd jug caught the bullet base & a couple lead fragments. (laying in front of the 1st jug)

You can see the entrance in the back jug.

I was hoping that it would hold together a little better in meat & fur at that velocity, but never found a test subject.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks for posting that actual test result. That's the kind of input that really helps in these discussions, along with actual retelling of real field experience.

Cheers,
Rex

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by aalf

Not sure how milk jugs correlates to fur, but I did this little test with the 55 BT's last fall.

I set 5 jugs at 50 yards on a saw horse, and lined things up.

Velocity was 2707 fps, and the shot knocked two jugs off.

Impact was dead center, jug was not really blown apart, basically split, with the bullet coming apart, which you can see the exit in the 1st jug.

I taped it somewhat together to get an idea of the damage.

2nd jug caught the bullet base & a couple lead fragments. (laying in front of the 1st jug)

You can see the entrance in the back jug.

I was hoping that it would hold together a little better in meat & fur at that velocity, but never found a test subject.

I did a similar test years back, but in my case they didn't make it though the first gallon jug.
So, I put a quart jug in front of the gallon jugs. Bullet cut the quart jug in two, but failed to make it into the gallon jug behind it. There was a 10 grain base in the remaining of the quart jug along a few small fragments, and that as it.

Based on that test I'd classify them as not for medium game.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I have found the milk jug test the least reliable simulation for actual results on game. Its only advantage is being easy.

Have also published several articles and book chapters on what "simulations" most closely resemble actually shooting game in various places, from behind the shoulder to through reasonably heavy bone. The comparisons were made by recovering bullets from a BUNCH of big game animals. Milk jugs have never reliably matched any on-game results.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
In a carbine, I’d say this bullet might be a good choice for 2 legged varmints.

G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Never said they wouldn’t work, just that I wouldn’t use them. Funny how some folks don’t read well. You can use what you like.

They just may work at .223 velocities on big game. I was part of quite a long search for an antelope shot by one with a 22-250 in which a couple bullets blew up on ribs, never made it to the vitals. They might work launched slower. If for whatever reason I felt compelled to hint big game with a .223, I would use a bullet I was sure would hold together.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I have found the milk jug test the least reliable simulation for actual results on game. Its only advantage is being easy.

Have also published several articles and book chapters on what "simulations" most closely resemble actually shooting game in various places, from behind the shoulder to through reasonably heavy bone. The comparisons were made by recovering bullets from a BUNCH of big game animals. Milk jugs have never reliably matched any on-game results.

That's my experience as well.

While milk jugs are fun to shoot, and I've shot a lot of them, they are for entertainment purposes only. wink

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Where were all the experts when I asked this question last fall?

I've read oodles of threads on the best fur friendly loads for bobcat, with the usual 2 schools of thought, light and fast, or big and slow.

What's your experience/opinion of a 22 caliber 55 grain Ballistic Tip at 27-2800?

IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

I've read oodles of threads on the best fur friendly loads for bobcat, with the usual 2 schools of thought, light and fast, or big and slow.

What's your experience/opinion of a 22 caliber 55 grain Ballistic Tip at 27-2800?

It would be better slower...2500-2600 fps

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ingwe

It would be better slower...2500-2600 fps

Moot point now.....cat season is past, and I won't see another tag for who knows how long......

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
]
"Funny how the people who have never tried it are always the ones who say it won’t work".

My father could outrun me after Antelope at the age of 70 when I was 39 (and I am a runner). Shortly thereafter, he decided the Ruger No. 1B was heavy, especially when he saw my Interarms Mini Mauser in .223 for I'd brought varmints. Dad was enthralled. Being a weapons instructor in the military, he had great experience with the cartridge. This was his answer. He bought one.

He hung up the No.1 .25-06 and never looked back (for the last 10 years of his life). I handloaded 55gr NBT's for him and they accounted for one-shot kills for somewhere between 10-20 big Montana Goats (120-150lbs) and at least one deer every year. Around the campfire, he'd bring it out and brag.

My buddy (brother in all respects but blood) who has chased goats with me (and Dad) for over 50 years every year has a daughter who was finally old enough to hunt legal. (12yo.). We found another Mini-Mauser, shortened the stock to fit her (her nickname is "Shorty": she is of small stature), loaded 55gr NBT's, and she could shoot that gun better than most guys with deer rifles at the range.

After a VERY long stalk/chase (we hunt primarily on foot: animals are calmer and we are busier than vehicle hunters), we got Shorty to 275yds on a beautiful 14 incher. She was calm, the animal was unaware, and Shorty got to take all the time in the world until she thought the shot from prone over a fanny pack would be perfect. It was.

The goat shuddered, circled, and was down and kicking.

Shorty went on to take 5 more goats with that gun and load, and a couple nice muley bucks.

As noted by some here, when not racehorsed (.223 velocities, and/or impact at greater range), the bullet seems to take on the performance of a big game bullet with purportedly greater "integrity". As I have observed with numerous Ballistic Tip bullets of various calibers, The tiny boattail disk that makes up the posterior of the bullet almost always finds a way to exit. It is very easy to examine an animal and be convinced the bullet never got out, only to find its avenue when skinning.

The 55gr Nosler Ballistic Tip is a GOOD choice for Antelope (and Deer), when the hunter carries skill and patience rather than the extra weight of a bigger gun.

Last edited by Tahnka; 03/09/21.

"I have always disliked the words 'authority' and 'expert' when applied to those who write about guns, shooting,and hunting. I have never set myself up as either."
Jack O'Connor
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

532 members (1beaver_shooter, 1234, 1lesfox, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 55 invisible), 2,368 guests, and 1,264 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,381
Posts18,488,572
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.