-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I like the neck shot on porkers. Very effective.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
This was perhaps the most fun I've had on a pig hunt. Took place in Texas a decade ago, where a few gun writers were testing out a Sauer autoloader in .30-06. The Sauer folks brought along a running-boar target, like the ones competed on in Europe, where it's a very serious deal. I'd done a lot of running-game shooting over the years, so did pretty well, as the target shows. (Can't remember the exact yardage but believe it was 100 meters. Had previously shot the same basic running target in Germany, which helped.)

We hunted pigs during daylight, and among others (including a pair of sows around 200 pounds, which I boned out and brought home) I took this big boar. The ammo was 165-grain Hornady factory with 165-grain Interbonds, which was VERY accurate in my rifle. The boar was killed at close range, and the bullet went through both gristle plates and shoulders--and exited. The boar's snout dug into the ground, and he flipped end-for-end.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Nice looking gun, never even heard of it

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by ingwe
Thats a Rem 700 fitted into a Mountain Rifle stock, Red pad added.

Thanks. Nice looking rifle.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Castle Rock,

It's the model 303. In that particular rifle the Hornady ammo shot WELL under an inch at 100 yards off the bench.

Sauer is getting better at promoting their excellent rifles in the U.S., but apparently there isn't a big market here for non-AR semiautos--especially those with nice walnut stocks.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
I like the neck shot on porkers. Very effective.

So do I. It is especially good when they are on the run, if there's enough angle for it, bowls them over in fine style. Gives you a bit of room if you slightly misjudge lead too - a bit in front and you brain them, a bit far back and it is in the chest.

IC B2

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
The running- boar target looks like fun. Is it running on a rail? I wonder if you could build one to run on a cable between two trees, pull it along with a rope? It wouldn’t cost much too make a set up like that. If it hangs three feet or so below the cable, the cable might not get shot.

Last edited by hanco; 03/01/21.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The hunters on Wild Boar Fever, on Sportsman Channel, try to shoot the running boar in the neck, and they usually do. Looks like 270 and 308 are popular calibers.

This a European driven boar hunt. Sponsored by Sauer, Aimpoint, Hornady, Swazi etc.

Amazing shooting, especially by the German that has both names hyphenated. He is incredible, but I get the impression that he comes from a wealthy family and his avocation is shooting boar.

I shot one hog on a Florida night hunt, using an AR15 in 300BlkOut loaded with the 110gr Barnes tipped bullet. Rifle had a large night scope. I was told to shoot tight behind the shoulder, i did so, but maybe a little lower than I thought, but still hitting the heart. Dam thing ran. They don't bleed much. Took a while to find it.

Last edited by AB2506; 03/01/21.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My favorite would be a good autoloader in something a bit stouter than a 223, be it a 6.8 or .308. Honestly, any decent deer rifle will work fine in most situations during the daylight hours and I've killed more with bolt guns than anything else.. I've occasionally run across groups where I was able to connect with multiples in one "volley", and the semi-auto was handy then. I've also lined up a few to try to make the most of shot #1, and you can do that with whatever type of rifle you have in your hands. If I'm reaching for a sure 'nuff PIG GUN, it'll be an AR10 in .308win.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sometimes they are just stupid and keep popping out of the woods to get shot. You can use whatever you like when you are one-at-a-time'n them. I've shot 4 before in one spot with a single-shot rifle in the same evening.

Now with even more aplomb
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
This is my favorite pig picture, also why pigs can never be defeated. I killed momma bear outside the pen, 13 in the litter, 8 females.The 8 females would have pups on the ground within a year. They can raise two litters per year. There is no way to eliminate pigs. You only see a small percentage of the pigs unless you have game cameras out. The smart ones are nocturnal. You only shoot the dumb ones during the day. My son in law is a police officer. He says you only catch the dumb criminals, never the smart ones. It’s the same with pig shooting, unless you have night vision or trap them.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Hanco one time I shot a large sow with new piglets no bigger than your fist. They had to only a few days old. I thought well good I killed the whole batch by killing mama. Nope, kept seeing the little ones for sometime. They’re incredible survivors.

IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I see all these dead porkers on the ground. Does anyone ever eat them? I'd think the little ones would be great on a grill or a smoker.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
we eat a great amount... they are great and have a lot less fat than domestic ones. I give away 30-60 a year to different people and charities...

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I eat just about all that I kill. Free range organic pork !!!!!
I haven't bought store sold meat in probably 10 yrs because of hogs.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I never eat them, 30% carry brucellosis.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I have eaten a bunch of them but lately I just Hanco them and leave em for the buzzards. If I cleaned every one I shot I’d need a walk-in freezer and a butcher on staff. I don’t skin coyotes either.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by TheKid
I have eaten a bunch of them but lately I just Hanco them and leave em for the buzzards. If I cleaned every one I shot I’d need a walk-in freezer and a butcher on staff. I don’t skin coyotes either.

Same as me.

Everything gets eaten though. wink

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
They carry a variety of diseases that can pass to humans. I’ve cleaned and dined on a few, but most are left where they fall.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by hanco
I never eat them, 30% carry brucellosis.

Is that in your particular area? The info I can find indicates a 10% rate across Texas.

The reality is that a LOT of wild game--not just pigs but deer, elk, etc.--can transmit various stuff to human, including not just brucellosis, but tularemia, trichinosis, etc. There various ways to prevent this, from using extreme care (including rubber gloves) when field-dressing and butchering, and cooking techniques. But our meat diet has been 99% wild during out marriage, which will hit 39 years this coming October, and so far we haven't contracted any of those diseases.

We've hunted pigs in Texas every few years since the 1990s, and always bring home some of the meat, mostly smaller pigs or bigger sows, but do eat some medium-sized boars.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
C
cdb Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I’m like Hanco, I don’t eat them. And if I had a Savage 99 I’d love to use it on hogs. It may not be the best but I use a 336 30-30 and 150 grain Corelokts. I’ve killed them with my AR-15 in .223, with bolt guns in .243, 6.5x55, .270 and 30-06 but enjoy using my Marlin the most.

Don't roll those bloodshot eyes at me.
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Kill them all. Granddaughter killed these with a 223

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]alcohol with fewest calories

Last edited by hanco; 03/02/21.
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

601 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 1234, 10ring1, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 58 invisible), 2,481 guests, and 1,247 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,800
Posts18,477,464
Members73,944
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.