Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Lots of romance, lots of problems.

Hiding wiring, pluming, air ducts can't be done.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
GB1

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Lots of romance, lots of problems.

Hiding wiring, pluming, air ducts can't be done.

I can be, but its a lot of extra costs.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
In most places legally/code speaking there’s no such thing as a cabin. Meaning it has to be built to the same standards as any full time house. The walls are the cheap part and generally makes sense to go bigger for best bang for the buck. What will cost you is putting in a well and septic or connecting to city water, foundation work, electrical, plumbing, insulation to code, windows ect. Those are some of the places where the money is at and it will all need to be done to the same code as if it were a full time home.

Last edited by TheLastLemming76; 03/02/21.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I need a new house built out in the sticks 2400 to 2800 ft.². Them timber frame have an advantage over a log cabin?

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R

Originally Posted by smallfry
I need a new house built out in the sticks 2400 to 2800 ft.². Them timber frame have an advantage over a log cabin?

In my experience absolutely

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by smallfry

In my book by far.

If you're into lots of custom work, I can do a lot more with posts and beams than I can with a stack of logs.

It's in the eye of the beholder and what they are willing to live with to own their dream.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mountain10mm
I'm a licensed engineer, including PA and have engineered hundreds of log structures from giant sign towers, to $18million + lodges, to tiny cabins. Log anything is not anymore labor intensive than any other wood structure. I live in a log house so that's coming from personal and professional experience. If you are willing to do a crawl space foundation, you're more than half way there to code compliance. The rest is electrical, plumbing, egress windows and doors, and roof insulation. Conestoga Log Cabins (PA based) has a lot of options and the "logs" are precut on a CNC machine. Super exact. Their logs are actually glu-lam beams shaped like logs so much stronger and no settling issues. If you want more traditional logs, I have contacts for those as well. Feel free to PM or message me.

after caring for one for 18 years I found your second sentence questionable at best and would add that the expense is greater.
7800 ft in altitude built from lodgepole from montana.
I would never sign on the line for anything log again. YMMV

.... like tears in the rain
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ribka
Originally Posted by 1911a1
The bank my son works at won't even finance a log structure.

Lived in a nice custom built log home for almost 16 years. It was very well built ( according to a few inspectors that looked at it and knew a lot more than me) and the builder put log jacks in the inside to accommodate settling. Oversized large logs were used in the construction

I would never own another log home. Insurance got to very expensive and difficult to fin. Especially after the California fires a few years ago. If you live more than 10 miles from a FD, which I did it was even more difficult and expensive to find insurance. Getting a mortgage now on one is difficult. And a lot of extra maintenance. All my neighbors had log homes and had the same sentiment. Looking at possible lower resale values too.

Id definitely do heated floors if you decide to build one.The extra large overhangs on the roof are a good idea especially if you live in a high snow fall area.

Built on a concrete foundation with a four feet crawl space.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

You can see the large screw jacks on bottoms of supporting logs for settling

They look nice but personally would not recommend. The novelty was fun the first few years and it was cool to have elk, mule deer feeding under your second story upper bedroom deck, but too much work.

What a gorgeous home in such a beautiful setting!

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Stunning!

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You can see the larger trim around the windows in ribka's photos.

There are key ways behind them that allow the logs to slide up and mostly down.

On 14 and 16 foot tall walls I've seen 10 inch trim boards over doors where they have had to cut the headers quite high to compensate for the setting of the logs. The doors are also mounted on floating keyways. Those tall walls are heavy the settling will be strong.

Everything has to float.

None of that has to be a bad thing, it just more log home related....
things.

IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Averaged 150 to 200 inches of snow a year. Not fun in winter!!!

Originally Posted by JeffA

Lived in a nice custom built log home for almost 16 years. It was very well built ( according to a few inspectors that looked at it and knew a lot more than me) and the builder put log jacks in the inside to accommodate settling. Oversized large logs were used in the construction

I would never own another log home. Insurance got to very expensive and difficult to fin. Especially after the California fires a few years ago. If you live more than 10 miles from a FD, which I did it was even more difficult and expensive to find insurance. Getting a mortgage now on one is difficult. And a lot of extra maintenance. All my neighbors had log homes and had the same sentiment. Looking at possible lower resale values too.

Id definitely do heated floors if you decide to build one.The extra large overhangs on the roof are a good idea especially if you live in a high snow fall area.

They look nice but personally would not recommend. The novelty was fun the first few years and it was cool to have elk, mule deer feeding under your second story upper bedroom deck, but too much work.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by simonkenton7

They are good houses if they are built well, like my house. And if not built right they are bad news. An 8 foot high section of log wall will shrink about 2 inches. This must be compensated for, or your doors and windows will be busted up. Also if you have a bathroom on the second floor, you have to allow for settling for the plumbing pipes.
Run your pipe vertically into the bathroom, and then a horizontal section for several feet if copper or PVC. If you use Pex, no problem in the first place.

Most electricians won't wire a log cabin. So I wired mine by myself and I must say, I enjoy doing wiring in a log cabin. It is a lot of work, though.

Also, you can see massive roof overhangs on my house. Four feet on the gable ends. You need to keep the sunshine and rain off of the logs. Don't grow any bushes near the logs, they will trap moisture and can rot a log out.

I have vast experience in framing and building a custom log cabin like mine is easily twice the work of building frame. Maybe three times the work.

No need for excessive overhangs if you put on eave trough, down spouts, and a good preservative with UV protection.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Mind is I ask what it cost to heat a pad like that through a good winter?

Those high ceilings had make it a little spendy.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

That is one of the more picturesque homes I've ever seen.

Figures don't lie, But Liars figure
Assumption is the mother of mistakes
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R

Mind is I ask what it cost to heat a pad like that through a good winter?

Those high ceilings had make it a little spendy.

I cut 8 to 10 cords a year and about 1200 to 1400 gal of propane a year. Propane heat too, propane cooking stove, dryer, water heater.. It was a bish to heat because ceilings were 50 feet high. Going up on the roof was a big pucker factor cleaning off any accumulated ice, replacing screws and cleaning chimney . Too much work.

Plus side It was surrounded by thousands of acres of public which was a plus.

Fires are always a big concern end of August and September.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
How many wood burning stoves were in there?
Sounds like enough wood for a couple anyway.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Going up on the roof was a big pucker factor cleaning off any accumulated ice, replacing screws and cleaning chimney . Too much work.

That roof over the living room looks like a 10/12, my azz wouldn't be on it. Always had plenty of young bucks around for working on that steep a pitch.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jmh3
Does anyone have experience with any of the log cabin kit manufacturers? I'm looking for a small cabin to use as a place for my parents and inlaws to stay when they visit. As they get older one or the other is at my place almost all summer. I have a small wooded lot at far side of the farm that has easy access to a road and utilities and I'd like to put up a small cabin that they can stay in. It needs to be code compliant and I plan to put it on a crawlspace foundation. Im looking for something small with a bedroom and small kitchen on the first floor. I also looked at a few of the modular cabins but the cost is ridiculous if you want a code compliant version.

Here is 4' frost wall crawl space foundation for a single floor cabin. Pre-plan ingress electric and water and egress sewer. Electric wiring was strung underneath the floor and up into the living space. Wire races were routed into door buck and thru logs to exit on top of interior ceiling, then strung to ceiling openings for lights and ceiling fans.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I am a log building slut, build them, live in them, sell them, build another, live in them, repeat, etc. Is their a lot of upkeep, sure, but not as much as you would think if they were put together correctly.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ribka, beautiful home and setting.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

594 members (16penny, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 56 invisible), 2,440 guests, and 1,353 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,633
Posts18,474,383
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.