Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ringworm
Where do you buy?
Bullion?
Coins?
I don't have any local stores. Went by a coin ship today and he had 1 2.5gr. gold.
I buy locally. "Locally" being within a 150 mile radius. A friend buys online with good results but be advised that if you do, the government knows about everything you have or at least had. Be further advised that earnings on precious metals are taxable.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I would think if you are going to take physical possession of it junk silver is a good way to go. What makes it junk is that it has no numismatic value. They are U.S. silver coins minted prior to discontinuing silver. 1964 and prior. 1 dollar in coins has slightly over 7/10 of an ounce of silver so the intrinsic value is easy to figure and if you ever get ready to sell or trade there won't be a big hassle over getting them assayed to see if they're real. So just figure if you buy $1000 in face value you get 700+ ounces. There will be a premium over spot but at a decent dealer it won't be a terrible lot. Another advantage is the ability to make smaller purchases or trades that you couldn't with 1 ounce gold or bigger silver bars.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by irfubar
Precious metals are highly manipulated by powerful people. If that manipulation can be broken they would be the play of the century

The above is true. Premiums on eagles and even junk silver are running about $10 over spot right now. When there's that big of difference between the paper and physical markets you know there is manipulation going on. I think the spot prices are being manipulated down.

It's hard to want to spend $36 for an ounce when spot is $26. The market would really have to move just to break even. Most dealers around here still only want to pay spot if you're selling to them.

Make sure you use a reputable dealer because there are lots of good fakes out there. If used silver.com, provident metals, apex, and sgbullion along with a few others over the last few years and had good luck with them.

I'd offer to sale some of mine but at today's price I'd be making a profit and that would upset a lot of people on the fire.

I look at metals as more of an insurance policy than an investment. There are better investments out there but there is peace of mind knowing you have a bit of bullion. I tell friends to shoot for 5-10% of their assets in bullion.

Bb

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by ringworm
Where do you buy?
Bullion?
Coins?
I don't have any local stores. Went by a coin ship today and he had 1 2.5gr. gold.

APMEX

I spend all my money on loose women and trapping supplies.....The rest I just waste.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I just bought my 1st Krugerrand last night.
Gold is falling, so I scooped 1 up to add to the stash.

IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I have a very good investment portfolio, nice savings account, and good income.
I buy gold and silver just to have it, I like the look and feel. My gold is $20 Double Eagles, great look and history.
I would not buy it as my primary investment, just something special, sort of like my collection of Colt SAA's

"The older I get, the better I was"
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O

JM Bullion.com

Always happy with the trades that I have done with them. Silver & gold are portable safety net in an unpredictable world. Never look at as an investment> GW

If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. MACHIAVELLI
L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
I am more heavily invested in lead, brass, and primers. Should I sell now, or hold out in hopes of the market going higher?

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by oldtimer303

JM Bullion.com

Always happy with the trades that I have done with them. Silver & gold are portable safety net in an unpredictable world. Never look at as an investment> GW

This.

Need to watch, you will get some closer to spot than other places I've seen.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

580 members (01Foreman400, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 1234, 10Glocks, 53 invisible), 2,323 guests, and 1,135 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,649
Posts18,493,368
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.