Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I've seen that happen before, and usually they will get up and go back to acting normal. However, often times the longer they lay without trying to get up, the harder it will be for them to do so. If it was my cow, and one that I planned on keeping, I'd get a vet out and have him take a look at her. He can tell you more about her than any of us can.

GB1

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I only know of dealing with this on the holstein farm here for the last 15 years. Every so often a big bull puts a lot of stress on mama. As already stated , she needs rest as her pelvis muscles and demeanor are stressed. Some anti flammatories may be needed and worst case scenario is a vet bill . Hopefully she recovers. They have equipment for dairy cows, that assist them in standing and some areas do swimming pool type rehab if it is a pricey milk cow. I wish all the best of luck to mama highland!

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
If you live in an area where there are black vultures also known as the Mexican Buzzard they will eat a live animal that is down. Be on the look out. The Turkey can also do it but they are not nearly as aggressive as the black headed ones.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've had to hold them up with the tractor and slings. I would give her a few days to stand on her own and then start lifting. Raise her up to where her feet are barely touching the ground. Do this at least twice a day and more often if you have the time. Slowly increase the time she is in the sling and slowly increase pressure on her legs. She should get to a point where you can slack off completely and she will continue to stand. This can take a few days to a few weeks. I wish you the best of luck.

Jim

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
1) Plenty of good advice above about keeping an eye on her. especially possibility of a prolapse after pulling the calf.

2) If the heifer was bred or AI'ed to the same bull as all of your other heifers, but she is the only one that threw a big calf, might consider sending her down the road. Given that birth weight and calving ease tend to be genetic, if she was the only outlier.. "Here's your sign..."

Good luck with which ever option you choose...

IC B2

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
She has already stood by herself?

She should have it made.

Sometimes a little banamine helps.

I am MAGA.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Giving a down cow a shot of banamine, dexamethasone, MultiMin is always a good idea. If she's eating feed the easiest thing you can do is crush 1 325mg aspirin per 100 lbs in her food.

Life is good live it while you can.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Hoping for the best.

broomd Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

She should have it made.

Not yet....
She made the night, she's not shaking and out of shock I think.
She tried to get up for breakfast, got close but just not enough strength in those back legs. She looks good other than that.

I'm going to get some reinforcements, hopefully we'll help her for that final push. Not out of the woods yet.

The pregnant heifer in the pen next to her looks like she may calve today, although that my be stress though due to Ruby's stuggles. Groan....

Thanks for the input and concern fellas!

broomd Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Took some pressure off of momma today, backed her rear onto some hay bales to get some blood into those legs.
Gave her some electrolytes too, instant energy. Still hasn't gotten up solo...fingers crossed.

Whatever happens, we're blessed to have solid caring folks around us.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Hope it turns out well later today.

Nice looking critter.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Every year we have a couple hard pulls on our two year olds.

Sometimes they are slow to get up or stagger around when they do get up. I think they pinch a nerve.

Most are up and going within an hour or two, however we've had them down for days. Only one in the last 10-15 years didn't make it.

What would you guess the heifer weighs?

Calf weight?

Our Angus heifers weigh +1200lbs and every once in awhile we pull a calf in the 80-90 lb range.

As was mentioned buy a calf puller, especially if you're going to buy bred stock.

broomd Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Every year we have a couple hard pulls on our two year olds.

Sometimes they are slow to get up or stagger around when they do get up. I think they pinch a nerve.

Most are up and going within an hour or two, however we've had them down for days. Only one in the last 10-15 years didn't make it.

What would you guess the heifer weighs?

Calf weight?

Our Angus heifers weigh 1100-1200(or more) and every once in awhile we pull a calf in the 80-90 lb range.

As was mentioned buy a calf puller, especially if you're going to buy bred stock.

Momma 925#? Calf was probably 75#, but it was oversized.

Encouraging to read that you've had them down for awhile and still made it. I'll keep everything she needs near her, she wants to survive.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I would bet that she makes it.

Hard to do but if possible keep her legs tucked under her in a natural position.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by broomd

She should have it made.

Not yet....
She tried to get up for breakfast, got close but just not enough strength in those back legs. She looks good other than that.

I'm going to get some reinforcements, hopefully we'll help her for that final push. Not out of the woods yet.

The pregnant heifer in the pen next to her looks like she may calve today, although that my be stress though due to Ruby's stuggles. Groan....

Longest I ever had one down was 35 days.

I am MAGA.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Yikes!

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by broomd

She should have it made.

Not yet....

Longest I ever had one down was 35 days.

Dang! That’s a long time!

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Looks like your heifer has obturator paralysis-pressure from the calf inside her pelvis has compromised her obturator nerves.

Keep her well bedded, turn her so she's not laying on the same leg all the time. The sling to lift her is ok, but don't let her hang from it over 15 minutes at a time. Try to help her get her feet under her so she holds her weight herself. Massage of her leg muscles helps too.

If you can find a pair of "hip lifts" or "hip clamps" I prefer those over the under belly sling. Again 10-15 minutes at a time is enough to have lifted.

As stated earlier an anti-inflammatory such as dexamethasone or Banamine would be helpful.

If you've had her standing already, I'd bet you will win this battle.

Always drink upstream from the herd...cowdoc...
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
I've hauled , feed, and water to down heifers for many days, Most get up. Our biggest problem with large calves, and heifers is , the calf paralyzes the spine.

Good Luck!

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I can’t offer any help but I do find these threads interesting. Mostly though I’m always impressed by the kindness and care that ranchers put into their stock. It seems to me that it’s a genuine care for the animals, not the dollars. 👍

Best of luck broomd!

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

552 members (1234, 10Glocks, 1minute, 16penny, 10gaugeman, 153, 69 invisible), 2,367 guests, and 1,259 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,535
Posts18,472,769
Members73,939
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.