Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Originally Posted by Heym06
I would think Mt. Lassen might be a good canidate for eruption. Maybe even Mt. Adams.

You and I better hope it's not Shasta, which is still considered active.

A tidbit from my college geology class. How true it is I just have to take for granted from the "expert", a professor and researcher.

In the area a bit North/Northwest of the mountain, there is some really "bumpy" topography. Up near Lake Shastina. Apparently, from the story our class was told, geologist has some theories about what caused it, but nothing really certain. Until St Helen's blew. While studying the aftermath they were able to find very similar spots there after the side blew out.

Being as how I'm only about 100 miles in a direct line from the peak, can see it from a couple of miles up the road. I'm hoping that big bish doesn't blow. Lassen for that matter either.

I didn't mention Shasta because I'd not like to jinx myself! Every time I drive to town Shasta shows its glorious face! With all the aliens, living inside i figure they have control, or the ships would be leaving daily!😳

I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
In 2019 we visited the Mt. St Helens interpretive center, which is about 4 miles from the caldera. The ranger held up a one-meter square thing made from tubing, and asked us to imagine 60,000 tons per second blasting through each square meter from four miles away.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
We washed ash from huckleberries, gathered in Northern Idaho! The roads sides were covered with ash past Plains Mt! Odd to see the amount of cement like dust everywhere! Chip cars came into work with 8" of ash, I don't know what track they were on when St. Helens went, but it was an eye opener!

Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Craigster
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
I wonder if wiping out the left coast would actually be a disaster

More than a few people probably wouldn't miss FL if it was blown into the Caribbean after a hurricane or two.

less chance of that though. laughing

Sam......

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by longarm
Geno
Aren't you on the other side of the mountain from Shastina?
Man you are going to have the best pics on the Fire ...

Oh yea, about 100 miles due East.

But with prevailing winds, I'll get to see the 'splosion a few hours before we all choke to death and get buried like them Italian folks.

Maybe it catches me on a sourdough rye day and that gets mummified too!

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 700LH
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Wow, if they all went at once, would that not change the demographics of the Northern Leftist Coast?
[Linked Image from upload.wikimedia.org]

Mt Baker north then Mt Hood to the south can be seen from the pavement at Mt Rainier Natl. Park on a very clear day.

The view from the very top is spectacular too. wink

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Wow, if they all went at once, would that not change the demographics of the Northern Leftist Coast?
[Linked Image from upload.wikimedia.org]

Yep, and prevailing weather patterns would bury the midwest in ash, and probably seriously affect life in Europe and Asia in a very short time.

In it is contentment

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
yeah, I keep my eye on the night sky watching for the ALIEN evacuation.

If I see more than normal traffic over that way, I'm tellin' momma to grab up the dogs, we're leaving pronto!

In it is contentment

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There's a river that come off Hood that dumps into the Columbia. Sandy river. Was originally mapped as Quicksand river by Lewis and Clark because of the ash from a pyroclastic flow. That eruption was in 1781.

There are drawing of steam plumes off it by settlers in the 1840s.

It will erupt again. Who knows when.

From what heard on the local news the recent seismic activity didn't have the signature of magma moving up, but water or steam.

And barring a big ash event with the wind blowing the opposite of the prevailing direction Portland wouldn't get effected much. Sorry to burst any bubbles.

Gresham, Troutdale, Hood River, The Dalles, all the communities on the side of the mountain on the other hand...

You guys should be rooting for a seismic event on the Juan de Fuca plate. Even though it would be out to sea and Portland wouldn't get hit by a tsunami, most of the Willamette Valley is clay and silt from the Missoula floods. Liquefaction is the Portland haters friend.

Last edited by Steve; 03/06/21.

Carpe' Scrotum
F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
My maternal grandma was 12 yrs old when Lassen blew in 1914. She was one of a family of 11 that lived in the logging/milling company town of Westwood. I remember her saying, Papa was very concerned, and when he left for work, he told Mama and the boys, if it started looking bad, go hop the lumber train going to Susanville, he would find them. You could not see, she said, the ground from the sky, it was like thick ice fog. The company of course said, work, and what the company said went. It all turned out OK, but she remembers it was weeks before they saw a blue sky. 11 people in a tiny company house, laundry drying by the parlor stove, it was a little too cozy, but everybody gave Papa enough room.It bothered everybody a lot that nobody actually knew what was going on. It was the end of the rails and roads were impassable, even if you had an auto, men were cautious about crossing a mud flow horseback. I guess they were tough because they had to be.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
If you’re ever in the Mt St Helens area, go to the visitors center and spend a day reading. It was mind blowing to me the amount of destruction.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Best pratical joke ever was played on Mt. Edgecumbe, near Sitka. Guys rented a helo and took some tires to the top of the mountain and lit them on fire to produce some lovely black smoke.

https://sitkahistory.com/2016/03/the-eruption-of-mount-edgecumbe-april-fools-day-1974/

Someone should take a play out of that book . . . for schitts and giggles

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by longarm

It's hard to comprehend the size of Shasta unless you've climbed it, hiked on it or at least seen it in person. It's just absolutely titanic.

Made it to the top in 1967 after graduating from HS.

Another one in the area :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medicine_Lake_Volcano

Old Corps

Semper Fi

FJB
F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
Geno, I worked on a road job north of Shasta out in the 'humps and bumps' . One of the engineers told me that rock that makes that wild landscape is Andesite, and he thought the flow from the north crater was so large and sudden, it engulfed water, tree, and vegetation, which exploded as huge steam boils shoving up those peaks. That ground is just riddled with lava tubes, a few of which contain ice caves only a couple hundred yards from a hot cave emitting clouds of steam on a cold morning.
You are just south of a hot fault, watch the horses buddy, watch the horses, they can feel it coming.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by flintlocke
I think the certainty of an imminent eruption of Mt St Helens was signaled by a 'growth' on the northwest slope for several days, measurements indicated it was growing about 5 feet every day.
Earthquake swarms are fairly common and not a reliable predictor. Underemployed journalists writing panic pieces shouldn't cause anybody to start nailing up 'for sale' signs.

I seem to remember that they thought the “growth” wasn’t really happening and that the devices doing the measuring were wrong. At least until they weren’t.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by flintlocke
My maternal grandma was 12 yrs old when Lassen blew in 1914. She was one of a family of 11 that lived in the logging/milling company town of Westwood. I remember her saying, Papa was very concerned, and when he left for work, he told Mama and the boys, if it started looking bad, go hop the lumber train going to Susanville, he would find them. You could not see, she said, the ground from the sky, it was like thick ice fog. The company of course said, work, and what the company said went. It all turned out OK, but she remembers it was weeks before they saw a blue sky. 11 people in a tiny company house, laundry drying by the parlor stove, it was a little too cozy, but everybody gave Papa enough room.It bothered everybody a lot that nobody actually knew what was going on. It was the end of the rails and roads were impassable, even if you had an auto, men were cautious about crossing a mud flow horseback. I guess they were tough because they had to be.

Nice family story there.

Been to Westwood a time or two.

This whole area could start up at any time. Folks have warm water ponds and wells less than a mile from my house. And it ain't solar heat warming that water up.

In it is contentment

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Did the hike to the top of St Helens. The view looking down into the gash is impressive to say the least, and the blast area still looks very raw

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
So how powerful are they? This lava rock is in so. central Idaho, about 20 miles north of Ketchum. It's approx 6' in diameter so it's got some weight to it. It's sitting on a low granite ridge. The nearest old volcano is more than 50 miles away in a straight line. That's a long toss. Most of Idaho's volcanoes were the kind that poured out rivers of lava resulting in thousands of square miles of lava beds. This one obviously came from an explosion but most were very unlike the Cascade ones.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Then there’s Yellowstone to throw into the batch.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I remember flying over the Mt St Helens area in the B52 several times just before eruption and putting the targeting FLIR camera on the mountain. The entire frickin’ mountain was aglow on the FLIR.

Last edited by GAGoober; 03/06/21.
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 56 invisible), 2,078 guests, and 1,304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,044
Posts18,482,146
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.