Hop To
N
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
N
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/893671400

He's been sitting on it for a while.

Don't believe New Haven made many short action SG.

“Factio democratica delenda est"
GB1

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P

That looks like it may be Randy Shumans old shop in Newville.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Nothing to do with it's value as a collectable, but it astounds me that Winchester let such nicely stocked "custom" grade rifles out with such crappy checkering. I have a couple Classics so checkered and a fiberglass stocked custom I picked up recently must have come from a mold taken from one.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
As I hunt and abuse my rifles, I would in no way be interested. Its beautiful, but not functional, one day in the rain, a fall, or several hundred rounds would diminish the value. Good Luck

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Nice rifle.

IC B2

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
To me, the referenced listing, exemplary of a cleverly laid out ad for the unwary. A Model 70 push feed which, if not to ponder a moment, perhaps to assume a potentially more valuable CRF. Evidentially Win made a limited CRF run in 1988, so I'm told. Consider: The nomenclature isn't presented clearly. The description is sketchy and what the heck is Winchester Ct, other than possibly reference to the Factory in New Haven, Ct? Then, the clincher... Bolt entirely missing! What other reason to present such a rifle without the bolt displayed at all!!! Perhaps just forgotten!:)! I'd sure want to see that bolt AND the bottom metal pix which is omitted perhaps because revealing 'alloy'. That another strike re Super Grade context in my opinion. Too much evidence of deception!
The 'pretty woman' presented here is a painted lady! A lesson in taking care concerning assumptions! To me grossly overpriced the last significant element.
Just my take!
Best & Stay Safe!
John

Last edited by iskra; 03/06/21.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
As I recall the Winchester custom shop guns were priced at $2,800, todays value is who is willing to pay "$$$" for it.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Poconojack

Poconojack,

Have you noticed that Randy's recent listings on GB start with a very high starting bid? I think he is posting his starting bid on what he will actually sell the firearm for and the rest is gravy.

I have bought several guns from Randy over the years and he always has good stuff but now he's priced himself off GB. Thanks...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My educated guess is there are (2) of these in the world. It may bring 4k but I'd say 3 is more realistic.

To above poster, it is a CRF Custom Shop Classic, no lipstick on a pig here. It was however not made in "88-89". Six digit Classic from around year 2000.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

Randy Shuman's old shop is called Shuman's Gun Shop it is in Newville, PA. Randy has no affiliation with that shop. I ran into Randy at his hunting camp this past summer and he told me that he opened a new shop in Newville. Which shop are you guys referring to?

Originally Posted by model70man

Poconojack,

Have you noticed that Randy's recent listings on GB start with a very high starting bid? I think he is posting his starting bid on what he will actually sell the firearm for and the rest is gravy.

I have bought several guns from Randy over the years and he always has good stuff but now he's priced himself off GB. Thanks...

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor Member
IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by winchester70
My educated guess is there are (2) of these in the world. It may bring 4k but I'd say 3 is more realistic.

To above poster, it is a CRF Custom Shop Classic, no lipstick on a pig here. It was however not made in "88-89". Six digit Classic from around year 2000.

6 digit classic and he says it came out of the custom shop in "88-89"? You'd think he'd know his chidt by now, as much selling as he does.. I'm in agreement with iskra on this one.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I do not think this is Randy Shuman. He always had very high end, vintage guns. This is his old shop on 111 Fairfield. He has nothing to do with it. I remember back in the old days, long before the Internet, Randy didn't take plastic (credit cards). I don't know if he advertises online. I will have to ask him the next time I run into him.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor Member
N
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
N
I am not a buyer at that price (although I wouldn't mind having it in the safe) but I can't help looking at that rifle every so often.

I've emailed the seller asking for pictures of the bolt, the bottom metal, the custom shop markings on the barrel, and the box.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P

Would prefer my 308 Montana.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
N
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
N

Would prefer my 308 Montana.

Prefer to hunt with my .358 Win Montana as well.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Reckon that I will just keep hunting with my 1953 Model 70 FWT .308. It is well broken in and fits me :

[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]

CRS, NRA Benefactor Life Member, Whittington Center, TSRA, DWWC, DRSS
Android Reloading Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I would definitely like to see the CS letter.

My estimate for “worth” would be in the 3k range (as Winchester70 also said) - but were this a true auction, who knows.

It is curious the seller doesn’t know the build date - makes me suspect the letter which would have accompanied the gun is not in his possession.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by crshelton
Reckon that I will just keep hunting with my 1953 Model 70 FWT .308. It is well broken in and fits me :

[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]

Thats about the best kind right there. I actually prefer my modified sporter m1917's. I widdled away at their left hand stocks until they fit my like a glove and actually handle like an extension of my arm.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Great follow up effected above in additional pix request! It's not unusual to see sketchy, inadequate listings. Happens all the time. But pricey gun + excellent photo montage. Handsome rifle as real bait. Such in listing with elementary omissions and totally inadequate description... Leaning more to a carefully 'crafted' presentation! "Omissions as the pregnant pause, rife with innuendo..."
OK, flowery rhetoric, but seldom opportunity for a phrase which I enjoy as applicable!

Not just an unskilled seller, rather a sale presentation that doesn't add up. Advertisement constructed to mislead, certainly not the only conclusion. But appearing "the most likely one!"
Just my take!
Best & Stay Safe!
John

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

64 members (14idaho, 10gaugemag, 406_SBC, 907brass, 12 invisible), 1,459 guests, and 763 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,724
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.