Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by doctor_Encore
Originally Posted by shootinurse
The mountain rifle or the M70 featherweight (if you can find one) would be my first choices. But, if Ruger showed up first, I'd grab it. If you find one of the others later, you can pick one up and sell the Ruger, although you just might not want to.

THIS.......

I don't have to make that choice.. I just have one of each...

you gotta love Southern Oregon for things like that... I got both of them cheap cheap...

The Featherweight was used, and bedded, trigger job, came with Leupold bases and rings...

The Ruger was brand new and had been sitting on the shelf collecting dust for a long time...

Got the Featherweight because the owner couldn't find ammo for it, and it didn't sell because people couldn't find ammo for it, if they even knew what it was..

Same with the Ruger.... If a rifle is in a caliber that no one can buy ammo at Walmart or Bi Mart in Southern Oregon.... they won't touch it...

When I bought the featherweight up in Roseburg, the old guy who owned the gun shop told me ' before I go get the ladder to climb up there and get that rifle, I want you to know it is chambered in a 7 x 57, Do you have a clue what that caliber is.... because I'm damn tired of climbing up there and getting it and then people handing it back to me
say WTF is a 7 x 57?'.. If you know what the caliber is, and you know where to get ammo for it then fine... because I ain't taking it back if you can't find ammo for it!"

Yeah, I know what it is and finding ammo is no problem because I handload all of my ammo, and yeah, I have brass for it already....

" Fine then.. I want $300 for it, as that is what I have into it...I want it out of here... you get out your credit card then I'll climb up and get it"

will $300 cash work instead?

" Hell yeah it would.... I'll even toss in the $10 back ground check... if we do that first I don't want to climb back up there if you can't pass the back ground check"

No problem....

Back ground check came back in seconds, I had the $300 cash on the counter, he climbed up and got the rifle down, and I was out the door....

I think he was happier about my purchase than I was.... he'd had that rifle for 6 months.. everyone wanted to look at it, but then handed it back, because of the caliber..

He had sold the rifle new to a friend who special ordered it 7 years before, who hunted with it like three times.. because he could never find ammo for it..

Got it home and took it to the range... darn Featherweight thought it was a varmint or sniper rifle... with about anything you fed it...

$300.00 well spent....

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

GB1

M
M
I bought two of the Ruger tang safety 77's in 7x57 in the early 70's. Neither one shot very well, and one had a very enlarged chamber. Sold them both and in the mid 80's bought one of the new model 70 featherweights in 7x57 for my son. I put a m8 3x Leupold on it back then and am getting ready to change that out to a new mx3 2.5-8 Leupold and start my grandson shooting it. It will be his first hunting rifle.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

The one 7x57 I really regret selling was one I stocked myself on a Brno VZ-24 action around a quarter-century ago, with A nice piece of European walnut grown in New Zealand. I made by hand from the blank with a blind magazine and 21" Shilen barrel. The rifle weighed only 7 pounds with a 4x33 Leupold--and would consistently put 5 (not 3) 140-grain Nosler Partitions into around half an inch at 100 yards. But a supposed friend talked me out of it, and I sometimes still wake up in the middle of the night wondering where that rifle is.

Now that story saddens me. So much so that I may have to start drinking early today, just to deaden the sorrow.

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
Robert E. Howard
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I enjoy stories like Seafire's .I bought a 6.5x57 barrel then went looking for brass. It's can be made from 8x57, not 7x57 if memory serves me right. I had it rechambered to 6.5x55.and fitted to a Zastava action.

You can hunt longer with wind at your back
U
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
U
I've had a tang safety Ruger M77 that wouldn't shoot anything but 175 grainers. Also had a 1951 FN Mauser that shot great, but weighed a ton. My all time favorite rifle is my push feed Model 70 Featherweight in 7X57. It shoots 140 and 160 grain Partitions into little, bitty groups and drops stuff right there. With H4350 in R-P brass, I get 2840 fps with the 140 grainers and 1725 with the 160s. I love the looks of the Featherweight and while I know they're hard to find, I'd hold out for one.

IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I three rifles in 7x57. If I had to chose between them, Ild keep the M70 FET, hands down.The others are a Ruger #1A and a custom on an FM Mauser.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
I have always been a sucker for Winchester Featherweights, in fact my first one in 1981 was so chambered.
My current 7x57 is a Cabela's BACO Super Grade and it is the most perfect rifle I have ever owned, used or shot.

I took it out of the box, fitted and lapped a set of Leupold dual dovetails and a Zeiss Conquest 3-9.
Handloading was easy as I had everything already, but when I loaded up 145gn Barnes LRX over 51gn of H 4350, it shot +1" and a cloverleaf measuring .252" for 2864fps without scope adjustment.
150gn Ballistic Tip over 50gn H 4350 went into .194" and 2755fps
150gn Partition over 50gn H 4350 went into .427" and 2798fps
175gn Partition over 46gn of Rel 17 went into .295" and 2640fps

for me, it is, the perfect rifle and was marked down to $899 brand new, being the last one.

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ingwe
Ive had them all and really wish I had my 700 Mtn. rifle back. That said the current Ruger African in .275 Rigby is simply the nicest and perhaps most accurate factory rifle Ive had...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

That's a very clean and classy looking rifle.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

593 members (16penny, 01Foreman400, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 12344mag, 1Longbow, 60 invisible), 2,555 guests, and 1,326 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,575
Posts18,491,995
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.