Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
J
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
have no experinc with gun dogs but looking for one that can do a few new to us jobs.

fall turkey hunting finding and busting turkey

blood tracking big game

shed hunting

and water work.

my first thought was a lab but open to other ideas,

Jonathan Henson
GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Most certainly a Lab would work...

Had a Springer that would fit in...He would bust a flock, then lay beside me to call them in during the fall. Found Deer without any special training other than put his nose to the track and telling him to find. Never used him to hunt sheds, but that would only entail additional training...Never did nasty, cold big water retrieves...but he handled the small water, creek waterfowl work fine...

Last edited by battue; 03/07/21.

laissez les bons temps rouler
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by jonboy900
have no experinc with gun dogs but looking for one that can do a few new to us jobs.

blood tracking big game

shed hunting

and water work.

What’s your idea of water work, creeks, ponds, flooded timber? Or are you thinking open water like big lakes and sounds?

J
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter

blood tracking big game

shed hunting

and water work.

What’s your idea of water work, creeks, ponds, flooded timber? Or are you thinking open water like big lakes and sounds?

creeks and rivers retreving beaver and muskrats

Jonathan Henson
W
wwy Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
I think a lot of dogs would work. A boykin or wachtelhund would be my picks for what you stated.

IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
If you're doing a lot of hunting for fur and the dog is retrieving, take a look a the Deutch Drathaar. You'll want a dog that can defend itself and dispatch wounded critters then bring it back to you like it's the king of the world. That would be a DD.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W

blood tracking big game

shed hunting

and water work.

creeks and rivers retreving beaver and muskrats

Dang! A beaver is a pretty big critter. I believe I would go with something large and rather tenacious, like a Chesapeake.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by ryoushi
If you're doing a lot of hunting for fur and the dog is retrieving, take a look a the Deutch Drathaar. You'll want a dog that can defend itself and dispatch wounded critters then bring it back to you like it's the king of the world. That would be a DD.

This is what I was thinking too.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
J
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Originally Posted by wwy
I think a lot of dogs would work. A boykin or wachtelhund would be my picks for what you stated.

never heard of them can you tell me more?

Jonathan Henson
J
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
those are one of the few i have heard of but i have a hard time beliving some of the stuff you hear. whice i run hounds most of the time i just named beaver and muskrat becuse i heard a guy talking about a game call that would work on beaver and muskrats. it was easier to bag a few for the table then trapping. so mostly looking for something that can take cold water and fish game out after the kill shot

Jonathan Henson
IC B3

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
those are one of the few i have heard of but i have a hard time beliving some of the stuff you hear. whice i run hounds most of the time i just named beaver and muskrat becuse i heard a guy talking about a game call that would work on beaver and muskrats. it was easier to bag a few for the table then trapping. so mostly looking for something that can take cold water and fish game out after the kill shot

I can’t think of anything that can take cold/rough water conditions like a Chesapeake. Those dogs are tough!

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
The DD's are great dogs but I would not suggest for an inexperienced owner.

Start with a good lab

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Add to the Boykin and Wach. the AWS it is the kind of work it was bred for, it was the trappers/market hunters dog of the north country. Turkeys can be trained, they are pretty good in big water also, I hunted the major estuaries of the PNW and inland reservoirs for waterfowl pheasants, quail, grouse and woodcock.. Her ashes are buried on the shores of Grey's Harbor and made her last big water retrieve at 14.

Last edited by erich; 03/09/21.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
J
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J

I can’t think of anything that can take cold/rough water conditions like a Chesapeake. Those dogs are tough!

cool the only one i had seen was one that belonged to a lady my grandma lived next door to. it was just a pet but it seemed like it take some time to use to us. can you give me some idea what they are like as far as handling and tranining, and how they are around livestook and other pets.

Jonathan Henson
J
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Originally Posted by erich
Add to the Boykin and Wach. the AWS it is the kind of work it was bred for, it was the trappers/market hunters dog of the north country. Turkeys can be trained, they are pretty good in big water also, I hunted the major estuaries of the PNW and inland reservoirs for waterfowl pheasants, quail, grouse and woodcock.. Her ashes are buried on the shores of Grey's Harbor and made her last big water retrieve at 14.

ok if that means american water spniel i looked it up. seems they were breed for water wor pluse upland game and fur bears have you seen or heard that?

Jonathan Henson
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Like Wilks mentioned...

Most of the breeds mentioned are likely to come out on the short end if a kicking Beaver gets a chance to grab on....no place for a Springer, AWS or Boykin, And a waterlogged Beaver will test the retrieving weight limit of all three. It may take a Kangal...

J
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
[quote=battue]Like Wilks mentioned...

Most of the breeds mentioned are likely to come out on the short end if a kicking Beaver gets a chance to grab on....no place for a Springer, AWS or Boykin, And a waterlogged Beaver will test the retrieving weight limit of all three. It may take a Kangal... lol i know of a guy in far nourth tha has a black lab that hunts beaver ever year with little or no problems

Jonathan Henson
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Well a Lab isn't anyone of the three I mentioned, and the Kangal was tongue in cheek....LOL... And most are not up to handling a Kangal anyway.....

Seems like your first thought is the answer.....Get a Lab from his stock.....

Last edited by battue; 03/09/21.

J
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Originally Posted by battue
Well a Lab isn't anyone of the three I mentioned, and the Kangal was tongue in cheek....LOL... And most are not up to handling a Kangal anyway.....

Seems like your first thought is the answer.....Get a Lab from his stock.....
i only queston the lab becuse i head mixed things on how well they do for turkey

Jonathan Henson
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Labs are trained to sit quietly in the blind....no reason they wouldn't naturally flush Turkeys, or that it would be a problem having them sit quietly while you called one in. Labs easily retrieve Geese, so a Turkey should not be a problem..

Not uncommon to find others using Labs in the Uplands...A good one will take after Turkeys the same as it would Pheasants....

An average adult Beaver will go 50 pounds, dry....again, as much as I like the small Spaniels, scratch them off the list....

Last edited by battue; 03/09/21.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

574 members (160user, 1lessdog, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 007FJ, 17CalFan, 56 invisible), 2,488 guests, and 1,332 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,472
Posts18,471,452
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.