Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Hides are worthless around here, use a bullet like a 60gr V max, 62gr Varmageddon, 52 gr Speer big mouth will also smack dem bastages.

I would have got him too but a Dad Blam snow flake hit me in da eye....
GB1

R
rost495 Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
Thanks for the replies. 40 vmax were in stock at that horrible company midway... so 2 boxes on the way.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Let us know how they shoot. I'll be looking for some new fodder to feed my AR and these and the 53/55 Vmax are on the list....

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
One bullet I don’t often see mentioned but that I’ve had good luck with is the Sierra 60 grain HP. Probably no one likes it because it doesn’t have a sexy boat tail base, but given the original parameters here that doesn’t matter.

Mathew 22: 37-39

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you run them 40's hot your going to have splashes and a lot of runners

IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I used a 50 grain Hornady SX with excellent results in both a SAKO 222 Rem (22 Inch Barrel) and a 5.56 AR15 (16 inch Barrel)
. They don't run off when hit with one of those.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by crittrgittr

Doubtful at best. I've shot large Rock chucks with the very similar Nosler BT's out of my 22-250 clocking around 4180 and they are as tough as any coyote in the hide. The damage is pretty incredible and nothing moves after being hit with one... and the bullets don't pass through...

R
rost495 Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
I don't have the right powder. Plus its 16 inches. Gonna be hard to run em just too hot. but I'd appreciate your MV idea of too hot.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
rost495 Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by cra1948
One bullet I don’t often see mentioned but that I’ve had good luck with is the Sierra 60 grain HP. Probably no one likes it because it doesn’t have a sexy boat tail base, but given the original parameters here that doesn’t matter.

Those are extra accurate too. I forgot all about them. Have some stashed somewhere. Buddy uses em on pigs and javelina.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V-max 50, 53, or 55. Economy generally favors the 50/55, 53 is more expensive but has a slight bc bump. I have used the 40's on a few coyotes, had some runners, some DRT with no rhyme or reason for the difference, decided a little heavier was better.

Hell...Reloading/Shooting are still my favorite things to do,besides play in the box the kids came in.................
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by rost495
I don't have the right powder. Plus its 16 inches. Gonna be hard to run em just too hot. but I'd appreciate your MV idea of too hot.

My buddy is running them at 3650 out of a 20" barrel bolt gun. He has probably lost a dozen coyotes in the last 3 years. Always lots of blood but after spending
hour after hour tracking he finally gave up using that bullet. I witnessed every one of them. Coyotes are a heck of a lot tougher than people give them credit for.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Thanks for the replies. 40 vmax were in stock at that horrible company midway... so 2 boxes on the way.

It's yer call, i wouldn't use em. I see Midway has 55gr Speer sp's for 12 bucks, them will work for ya.

I would have got him too but a Dad Blam snow flake hit me in da eye....
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Last one I shot was at 100 yards with a plain Jane 55 Hornady SP over 25 grains of H335 out of a 16” AR.
Broadside right in the shoulder. I was surprised at how bad it wrecked him. I think those are only strolling along at about 2900fps.
It’s my “plinker” load, but it sure works for close in coyotes.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Sheister

Doubtful at best. I've shot large Rock chucks with the very similar Nosler BT's out of my 22-250 clocking around 4180 and they are as tough as any coyote in the hide. The damage is pretty incredible and nothing moves after being hit with one... and the bullets don't pass through...

Only doubtful if you’ve never shot a coyote with them. wink. After seeing how 40 gr vmax out of a .223 perform on coyotes myself, I’d not load them intentionally for coyotes, or anything beyond gophers or prairie dogs myself. BT are reportedly tougher by guys that have shot both.

MAGA
R
rost495 Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R

My buddy is running them at 3650 out of a 20" barrel bolt gun. He has probably lost a dozen coyotes in the last 3 years. Always lots of blood but after spending
hour after hour tracking he finally gave up using that bullet. I witnessed every one of them. Coyotes are a heck of a lot tougher than people give them credit for.

Thanks, I suspect we won't get above 3400 and I'm ok with that. Coytoes are really tough for sure. Amazingly so. Only ones I've not lost were 6.5 creed moor and 7x300 wtby hits and didn't matter all those hits have been in the right place anyway.

Appreciate the input. I think we are overall safer with houses around etc... that I'd rather take a splash and loss now and then and be less worried about what the bullet does after the hit or miss. Kind of a special issue. Because too many damn people are buying country land and dividing and building and this is bull [bleep]. Used to not even be able to see a house from ours... so much bullshit. Time to move really. But thats OT big time. LOL.

R
rost495 Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
Unless anyone has any 53 vmax they want to send 2 boxes to me for... LMAO. Ive got boxes of old 75 amax I would trade that we still use but I have some of. LOL

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I have shot just about every 40-64 gr bullet made at coyotes with the 5.56(223} been doing it for over 45 years and findly figured out what the best is.....Federal Fusion 62 gr.....its heavy enough and made to stay together that you get great penetration from any angle.....
I have only lost two coyotes out of several thousands with the Federal Fusion 62 gr. and both were shot in the rear legs while running.....
Been lucky to get the 62 gr. Fusions bulk to load my own for many year now......

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Unless anyone has any 53 vmax they want to send 2 boxes to me for... LMAO. Ive got boxes of old 75 amax I would trade that we still use but I have some of. LOL

Not 53 v maxes, but I have some nosler 55 tipped varmageddon bullets I could spare.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
Originally Posted by Sheister

Only doubtful if you’ve never shot a coyote with them. wink. After seeing how 40 gr vmax out of a .223 perform on coyotes myself, I’d not load them intentionally for coyotes, or anything beyond gophers or prairie dogs myself. BT are reportedly tougher by guys that have shot both.

I've shot coyotes with the 40's and not lost any yet, so I'm surprised to hear of the runners you guys are reporting. I'm sure my numbers aren't what some of you shoot, so not surprising in the end. I shoot coyotes mostly as a target of opportunity and only occasionally as my planned trip..

But the point is I was trying to address the OP's original points- area with other homes around, typical 200 yard range, can't afford pass throughs, etc..... From my experience, the plastic tipped bullets designed for varmints do that job about as well as can be done and the bullets tend not to travel or ricochet when they hit something.... but heck, I learned something new today, so this thread wasn't wasted...

Bob

R
rost495 Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by jaydub in wi

Not 53 v maxes, but I have some nosler 55 tipped varmageddon bullets I could spare.

appreciate the offer. Think I"ll wait on the 40s and play with them. I only have a month left to load stuff and mess around anyway and then its onto 6 months of long days 7 days a week work season.

Unless you have a need for heavier bullets for a reason. I don't want to take yours. I'm sure they will be around by November or so when I get back.

Appreciate the offer though! And if the 40s shotgun I might get back to ya

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

135 members (7887mm08, 44mc, 470Evans, 300_savage, 35, 7mm_Loco, 11 invisible), 1,854 guests, and 1,043 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,326
Posts18,526,486
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.