Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
rte Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by yukon254
Interesting on the aspirin. Im an EMT and we are taught not to give aspirin if we suspect a stroke because it can make the bleed worse?

Only if it's a hemorrhagic stroke,which only account for 13% of strokes.

87% of strokes are Ischemic,which is caused by an occluded artery or rarely an occluded vein.

I hope you fully recover Dave.

Communist Goals

26. Present homosexuality and degeneracy as normal.
27. Discredit the Bible.
28. Eliminate prayer in the schools.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/news/1561529/posts

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Honestly, given our demographic here, as sportsmen alone much of the time, or otherwise out and about, I wish there were more views. This was a bomb out of the sky for me. Back to top.

I suggested aspirin because of the percentages between bleeders and clotters, which I already knew. If you're on "blood thinners" already, make sure to ask your doctor NOW (you're already seeing one, already "under care" ) so you're able to ask if you're a "candidate" and make the right preparations if so. Me? I don't even know my blood type yet. And if you've had TIA, keep in mind the next one might not be "transient." And if it isn't, it WILL rank among the worst things that ever happened to you.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
Originally Posted by gsganzer
I might just add a word of caution on the aspirin and maybe someone with more medical knowledge can chime in.

Strokes come in two flavors, blockage or bleeder. In the case of blockage (which is probably the majority of strokes), aspirin is a good move. However, in the case of a bleeder (hemorrhage) the aspirin will make it worse.

It might be a moot point though as I believe the damage from a hemorrhage are typically pretty severe and the options to treat it are pretty limited . I lost my dad to a hemorrhage and the doctor said that even if they were in the operating room and ready to do surgery, there's very little chance to have a good outcome.

This is a timely posting as I've been feeling crappy for a while now.

I'll be 55 in July and I made the decision to do a "health intervention" on myself and start making some lifestyle changes. I travel almost weekly and it's really been starting to take a toll on my health since I turned 50 and it's come to a point that is completely unsustainable. I weigh more than I ever have, I'm tired all the time (probably sleep apnea as I now snore like a freight train), I'm not getting near enough exercise and my eating habits need to change.

I had an annual checkup last week (actually been 2 years, because of COVID restrictions) and they started me on blood pressure medicine. I had a burst eye blood vessel a few weeks back that can be an indication of high blood pressure. The doctor recommended a sleep study, but I told them to hold off and we'll see if I feel better when I lose weight.

With my traveling lifestyle, it's hard to have any kind of schedule as my work hours are hard to control. I think I can get a handle on the eating habits, by starting to stay at suites that have kitchenettes, but trying to fit is some exercise is going to be a bit of a chore. Hard to get motivated to exercise when you start your day at 5- 6am and work a 12 hour day.

Im not qualified to give any sort of medical advice, so here is my story. Take it for what its worth. I was diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis a year ago. I've always been active. Guiding almost year round for 34 years now. Anyway long story short I quickly found out that RA is nasty.

Took them a few months to officially diagnose me, but I pretty much knew what I had a couple of months before the doctors told me. During those months I did a lot of research myself. Found a lot of interesting stuff on low carb, then found Paleomedicina in Hungary. Changed my life.

Everything we have been told about diet is wrong. They wanted to put me on some real nasty drugs. Anyone with RA knows it shortens your lifespan by 10-15 years. The drugs are a big part of that. Anyway I changed my diet. All I eat most days is meat and fat. Nothing else. Took about 5 months to heal my gut, but I was feeling better in the first two weeks. Today I feel 30 years younger. Its hard to explain, but I urge anyone who takes their health seriously to do their own research. Google low carb down under, or low carb doctors, and go from there. It will change your life. I never took any medications, and dont to this day. My symptoms are gone, and thousands of others like me have had the same experience. Medical science says RA cant be cured. Maybe, but the inflammation markers in my blood is now gone and just a year ago it was off the charts.Although my BP was never worrisome, it was high normal. Today its 120/65. My diet did all that. They are even treating cancer with the keto diet now.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Leanwolf
CHARLIEFOXTROT - " ...This should drive home Dave's point that time and quick action is paramount. Get to an ER as soon as possible. That first Golden Hour is everything."

Exactly! Time is of the essence once a stroke occurs. I watched a PBS seminar several years ago about strokes. Three of the speakers were neurosurgeons from Johns Hopkins and Mayo Clinic, and the fourth speaker was a young woman who had suffered a stroke. She spoke of the symptoms and what happened to her. It was not pretty.

Aside from many valuable pieces of information, all three of the neurosurgeons stated emphatically how important it was to get to the hospital as quickly as possible. They also said to NOT drive -- or have someone drive you -- to the emergency room at the hospital. Call 9-1-1 immediately and tell the operator you're having a stroke!.

(Of course, there could be exceptions to this, but not many.)

The paramedics who arrive already know what is happening and they will also call/radio the hospital to alert the proper doctors what has happened and they are delivering a stroke patient to them in a few minutes. A stroke team will be waiting to immediately treat the stroke victim in accordance with their proper procedures.

If you go to an Emergency Room, you'll be losing a lot of time to check in, wait, and lose those precious minutes wherein the stroke doctors and nurses could be helping you.

My father died from an hemorrhagic stroke and my wife died from a stroke and complications of Alzheimer's dementia.

Observe BEFAST. Believe you or your spouse is having a stroke? CALL 9-1-1 immediately!

Best of luck to all who have suffered strokes.

L.W.

Excellent advice right there. Call 911 instead of driving yourself or having someone drive you.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Get well. We adapt to our .circumstances, you will too. Thanks for this from all us

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I'm bumping one final time, but in retrospect, calling 911 and a meat wagon makes a lot of sense. They were pretty effing desultory in the ER, they didn't slam anything into my bloodstream, it wasn't any sort of emergency. I didn't even get any kind of aspirin until at least an hour after arrival.

The point here though is, RECOGNIZING the stroke for what it is. I didn't because it isn't being taught properly. I had three real chances, and missed every one. Many get "transient" strokes well before the one that destroys everything, and if you're getting transients, that's a no-shyte, BFD not to be ignored or slept off. You need to KNOW.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Did you have a CT scan before they gave you aspirin?

I am MAGA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dave_Skinner
They were pretty effing desultory in the ER, they didn't slam anything into my bloodstream, it wasn't any sort of emergency. I didn't even get any kind of aspirin until at least an hour after arrival. .

There's a reason for that. How long before your ER arrival did you have the stroke ?

I've had four.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Mr Skinner I wasn't to thank you for this thread and GREAT advice.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Great public service announcement OP.

But please, everyone, take medical advice on the internet with a HUGE grain of salt. It's usually worth what you pay for it.

[Linked Image from u.cubeupload.com]

IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Wow, Dave.

Thanks for the PSA.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Well huh, I thought it was an accusation.

Not what I thought the thread was going to be about at all!

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

520 members (222Sako, 1minute, 22250rem, 1lessdog, 1badf350, 16penny, 53 invisible), 2,617 guests, and 1,219 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,913
Posts18,498,304
Members73,983
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.