Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
JeffA Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

Settlement near in case of pot suspect killed by state bulldozer

[Linked Image from i.dailymail.co.uk]

The estate of a man who was run over by a bulldozer while being chased by Pennsylvania State Police for illegally growing a handful of pot plants is nearing settlement of its federal wrongful death lawsuit against the state.

Gregory Longenecker, a 51-year-old short-order cook and Grateful Dead Fan, had fled into thick brush after being caught growing 10 marijuana plants on public land near Reading. His body was found under the treads of a Pennsylvania Game Commission bulldozer that state police had commandeered in pursuit.

The suit by Longenecker’s family contended that state police and the game commission took “crazy and lethal action” against an unarmed man who posed no threat, then destroyed or withheld evidence to cover it up.

A federal judge overseeing the case has scheduled a settlement conference for next month. The hearing will review “the settlement of the wrongful death ... and allocation of settlement proceeds,” according to a Feb. 4 order by U.S. District Judge Jeffrey Schmehl.

The filing does not include any details about the pending settlement, including the amount to be paid. The state attorney general’s office, which is representing both agencies in court, confirmed Monday that state police and the game commission have reached a settlement agreement with the plaintiff.

The family’s lawyer, Jordan Strokovsky, declined comment on the settlement but said: “We performed a very thorough investigation and the family is pleased with our findings.”

The July 2018 chase developed as Longenecker and his friend tended their pot plants in a small clearing on state game lands. A game commission worker, operating a bulldozer in the area, spotted their car parked in a field where vehicles weren’t allowed and called police.

The friend surrendered, but Longenecker fled, disappearing into the thick vegetation.

State police began a search, and a state police helicopter pilot, hovering overhead, spotted Longenecker in the underbrush. The suit said that state police Cpl. Michael Taylor asked the bulldozer’s operator, Mark Weiss, if he could climb aboard and blaze a trail in Longenecker’s direction. The pair set off on a “machine of death,” the suited said.

A prosecutor who investigated Longenecker’s death concluded that troopers acted reasonably. Authorities have publicly contended that Longenecker was high on methamphetamine, crawled under the back of the bulldozer when it stopped briefly, and was crushed to death when it started moving again and made a left turn.

The lawsuit called that explanation ludicrous, and witness statements cast doubt on the official version of how he got caught under the machine. The chopper pilot said he had Longenecker in view the entire time, noting in his deposition “that it would be impossible for Mr. Longenecker to crawl under the back of the bulldozer before the bulldozer turned left,” the lawsuit said.

The pilot also told authorities that the bulldozer appeared to be “coming in blind” and that he had tried to tell its operator to stop, but his radio wasn’t working, the lawsuit said.

Longenecker’s family asked why state police didn’t simply get a warrant for Longenecker and arrest him later, given they knew his identity and that his crime was relatively minor. An expert in police tactics also questioned why police would use a bulldozer to chase him.

Both sides recently agreed to dismiss Weiss and Taylor from the lawsuit, leaving the state agencies as defendants. Neither agency had any comment.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What a bizarre story!

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Lucky family.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Caterpillar make police specials?

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
There ya go. A piece of shiet pot grower's family is going to get a big check from the state because he's a piece of shiet and PSP are dumb enough to play his game.

Two stupid parties at that hoe down.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Dam

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
THERE ARE NO COINCIDENCES
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think the operator should paint a skull on the side of the machine and get a Public Service Award.

Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I’d imagine that he didn’t suffer much

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Jeeze....just stop resisting.

12 pot plants gets a Cobra gunship.....

I am MAGA.
IC B3

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by Phillip_Nesmith
What a bizarre story!

Its been said dope heads do some crazy things. Some even get stupid enough to vote dimocrap.

Im sure Calldumb, Suckermore, UPkiker, PlowboyTim, SAC, Northmam, Piddler etc could confirm.

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image from memegenerator.net]

Padded VA Hospital Rooms for $1000 Alex

Originally Posted by renegade50
My ignoree,s will never be Rock Stars on 24 hr campfire.....Like me!!!!

What are psychotic puppet hunters?
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
How can you not outrun a bulldozer?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I am sure the 51 year old short order cook and Grateful Dead fan was destined for great things in life. If the family is awarded based on his income potential, they'll be able to go on one hell of a Big Lots shopping spree.

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by TheLastLemming76
I’d imagine that he didn’t suffer much

If he was stoned enough. Sounds like he wasnt quite high enough to me.

I Dindo Nuffin
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Once again if you had not broken the law to start with.... none of this would even be an issue.

I'll reserve judgement on using the dozer until I see all the evidence if that ever happens. But I do think its a bit wild to put lots of effort into someone with a few pot plants. UNLESS it was known that he had a few here, few there, sold a bit etc...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
I am sure the 51 year old short order cook and Grateful Dead fan was destined for great things in life. If the family is awarded based on his income potential, they'll be able to go on one hell of a Big Lots shopping spree.

Not funny. I heard he was planning on going to attend cookie school with his harvest sale proceeds, Paul.

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by rost495
Once again if you had not broken the law to start with.... none of this would even be an issue.

I'll reserve judgement on using the dozer until I see all the evidence if that ever happens. But I do think its a bit wild to put lots of effort into someone with a few pot plants. UNLESS it was known that he had a few here, few there, sold a bit etc...

The state should be home free, Jeff, if they didnt have him chained to a tree.

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Perhaps the dozer would have been put to better use digging out corruption in PA elections?

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
He’s a Flatnecker now.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

80 members (7mm_Loco, 6mmCreedmoor, 35, 444Matt, 1_deuce, 10 invisible), 1,456 guests, and 813 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,368
Posts18,488,303
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.