Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by CBB
After reading the lightweight rifle thread I tried a few of the techniques as well as using the lead sled. Towel under forend, down pressure on scope and really took my time on the trigger. End result was a great group with 42gr of H4350 and a 130gr Sierra TGK. Happy with that group and load for my purposes. Wasnt the barrel as much as it was me..

[Linked Image from udrop.com]

Is the rifle glass bedded and properly freefloated? You also don't say what kind of rifle it is. Maybe I overlooked that part. Just that it has a 22" barrel. With that info, I'm going to assume its not a Tikka. The 5 shot (Im assuming it's 5 shots) group you posted looks to be a little over 1". Not bad, but could be much better. Most 6.5 cm's I've been around will put 5 shots into less than that with good loads. My buddies el cheapo Ruger American does better than that with loads it likes. That rifle has a crappy chamber too, but still shoots very well. As far as shots stringing as you mention, a good barrel won't string much. Even if it is light weight:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

That's how one of my lightweight CM rifles shoots, with one of the loads it likes..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

C
CBB Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by CBB
After reading the lightweight rifle thread I tried a few of the techniques as well as using the lead sled. Towel under forend, down pressure on scope and really took my time on the trigger. End result was a great group with 42gr of H4350 and a 130gr Sierra TGK. Happy with that group and load for my purposes. Wasnt the barrel as much as it was me..

[Linked Image from udrop.com]

Is the rifle glass bedded and properly freefloated? You also don't say what kind of rifle it is. Maybe I overlooked that part. Just that it has a 22" barrel. With that info, I'm going to assume its not a Tikka. The 5 shot (Im assuming it's 5 shots) group you posted looks to be a little over 1". Not bad, but could be much better. Most 6.5 cm's I've been around will put 5 shots into less than that with good loads. My buddies el cheapo Ruger American does better than that with loads it likes. That rifle has a crappy chamber too, but still shoots very well. As far as shots stringing as you mention, a good barrel won't string much. Even if it is light weight:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

That's how one of my lightweight CM rifles shoots, with one of the loads it likes..

The rifle is a stock Kimber Hunter 84m. Leupold bases and rings with a leupold 4-12 for glass.
The rifle is not glass bedded. I did check the float with the dollar bill check. No noticeable issues there.

The group I posted was a 3 shot group. The 1st shot high at 12 'O clock was a fouling shot with factory ammo. The 3 shot group cicled in the pic was the reloads I made up. I only loaded 3. I could run a 5 shot group as soon as I load up another batch. Was just loading 3 of various bullets and powder charges to find something that worked.

Last edited by CBB; 03/21/21.

Hunt...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Is that 4-12 with an Adjustable Objective?

C
CBB Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by 65BR
Is that 4-12 with an Adjustable Objective?

No

Hunt...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Wondering if you have any parallax affecting grouping at 100.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Any time 3 shots will fit under a dime, I'd say you are good to go. For a hunting rifle, 3 shot groups are fine. All another couple shots will do is tell you what happens when the barrel heats up. If your first shot or two are that accurate, doubt you will need any more. If we were talking about a varmint or target rifle then more shots in the group may be useful.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
C
CBB Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by 65BR
Wondering if you have any parallax affecting grouping at 100.

Possible but I think the issue is I wasn't quite a steady as I needed to be with an inconsistent hold on the gun. I succeeded in doing what I wanted, finding a load the gun shoots well. From there it will be up to me to make a kill shot. This one probably won't get shot a ton. But I know it will shoot a 3 shot group under a dime if I do my part. Good enough for deer or any other critter I will use it on.

Hunt...
C
CBB Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by centershot
Any time 3 shots will fit under a dime, I'd say you are good to go. For a hunting rifle, 3 shot groups are fine. All another couple shots will do is tell you what happens when the barrel heats up. If your first shot or two are that accurate, doubt you will need any more. If we were talking about a varmint or target rifle then more shots in the group may be useful.

Agree

Hunt...
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

158 members (35WhelenNut, 300_savage, 338reddog, 308xray, 16penny, 29 invisible), 1,997 guests, and 1,020 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,367
Posts18,488,270
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.