Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
H
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
H
Ah, the Campfire "best" tire thread.

Tires aren't jack of all trades, even though the manufacturers make every attempt to tell you they are and everyone who uses XYZ tire will tell you as well.

They all make good ones, they all have their detractors, otherwise none of them would be in business.

There is no such thing as a mud and snow tire, no such thing as an 85k excellent mud tire used on pavement 99.9% of the time pulling a horse trailer.
Wide lugs make more noise and uneven contact on pavement, more closed lugs don't shed mud. Shedding snow provides less traction than retaining snow, the opposite of mud. Those are facts and there isn't any exceptions to those facts, only compromises.
Some tires don't run worth a whoop due to wheelbase, suspension type, etc.. It depends on a lot of things.

Goodyear snuggling up to BLM is definitely a turn off, even if they have some decent tires in their line, which they do.

I've run two sets of BFG Rugged Trail T/A's on my 3/4 ton; at 200k, I have put on a third set just this winter(mostly pavement). They are decent in snow, kinda suck in mud, wear well for my regular uses.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by tzone
I have the pathfinder AT from discount tire. Best tire I’ve ever had. I’d bet I’ve had a dozen sets of BFG’s. They were good at one time but have been junk for the last 2 sets. So, no more for me.
BFG’s are good in sand. OK in snow, junk in mud and rain.

THIS^^ In spades...

Previous version Bridgestone Dueller was excellent.

But as for me and my house we will serve the Lord. Joshua 24:15
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Phil. 4:13

I DON'T NEED A WSM AS I HAVE A WEATHERBY!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Put a set of Continental Terrain contacts on my Ram 2500 ,with a Diesel. so far best wearing tire I'v ever had on it. 60K warranty to boot. Tried the rest ,this one looks like a winner

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Daveh
Originally Posted by tzone
I have the pathfinder AT from discount tire. Best tire I’ve ever had. I’d bet I’ve had a dozen sets of BFG’s. They were good at one time but have been junk for the last 2 sets. So, no more for me.
BFG’s are good in sand. OK in snow, junk in mud and rain.

THIS^^ In spades...

Previous version Bridgestone Dueller was excellent.

I believe the pathfinders are a private labeled hankook. the hankooks that came on my 2017 f150 new I didn't like that much. it seemed like the tread depth was shallow. had 2 sets of them on my 2014 f150 and I liked them really well on that truck. but they are no off road tire, never tried an LT version of the same tire. for 95% of people they will be great. most people don't off road like I do

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Why do I always find out about this stuff after the fact? Just put 4 Goodyear Wrangler Trailmarks on the Xterra. Hard to keep up with the boycott list, and it grows every day. I WAS feeling pretty good about buying American. confused

"No good deed shall go unpunished!"
IC B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by JeffyD
Why do I always find out about this stuff after the fact? Just put 4 Goodyear Wrangler Trailmarks on the Xterra. Hard to keep up with the boycott list, and it grows every day. I WAS feeling pretty good about buying American. confused

Take a look on the sidewall, do they actually say "Made in USA"? I don't know but I thought I read or heard plenty of Goodyear's being made X-US.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
Originally Posted by elkmtb
A lot depends on the vehicle. My wife’s Nissan Armada eats tires. They wear evenly but can’t get anything to last more than 20-30k miles even Michelin . It’s just a heavy vehicle.

How heavy? Maybe you need bigger better tires or it may just be the way your wife drives.

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
Originally Posted by 338rcm
Toyo Open Country Ats have served me well

The Toyo Open Country AT's on my pickup are EXTEMELY dangerous on wet pavement and I'll never buy another set. My SIL has them on 2 pickups and he says the same thing.

A
AML Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Originally Posted by 1Longbow
Put a set of Continental Terrain contacts on my Ram 2500 ,with a Diesel. so far best wearing tire I'v ever had on it. 60K warranty to boot. Tried the rest ,this one looks like a winner

I was a Michelin guy for years until I put a set of Continentals on my Buick sedan about 15 years ago. Now everything gets them. Great tire company.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
I'm trying to remember the last Goodyears I ran on a road rig? The tractor tires used to run undersized, but that's been years now.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
IC B3

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O

Same here... put on a set of Continental Terrain Contact A/T tires on my Ram 2500 4x4. After nearly 10k miles I can honestly say I am impressed. In my sixties and have tried them all. These Continentals have it all... traction and the best ride I have ever had on a 3/4 ton 4x4.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
Most "all terrain" tires should be called "no terrain". They don't actually actually excel in any condition.

There’s only a handful of hybrid All terrain tires that are really worth a [bleep] off-road if a guy doesn’t want to run true muds. And yet these will still give you decent road traction and winter traction.

Cooper ST MAXX
Goodyear Duratracs
Nitto Ridge Grappler

cone to mind, the rest are all just a highway tire with a little traction and cool looking sidewalls! Gots to have large voids that will clean out with acceleration to bite in the muck.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Last Fall the tire man talked me into these Kelly Edge MT's.
(lowbrow Goodyears...)

They go down the highway nice and in limited grocery trips to Walmart and Home Depot mulch runs they haven't got me stuck yet.

No real test yet though, too dry lately, no mud in months.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by AML

I was a Michelin guy for years until I put a set of Continentals on my Buick sedan about 15 years ago. Now everything gets them. Great tire company.

Liking the Conti's on my Infiniti

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by AlaskaCub
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
Most "all terrain" tires should be called "no terrain". They don't actually actually excel in any condition.

There’s only a handful of hybrid All terrain tires that are really worth a [bleep] off-road if a guy doesn’t want to run true muds. And yet these will still give you decent road traction and winter traction.

Cooper ST MAXX
Goodyear Duratracs
Nitto Ridge Grappler

cone to mind, the rest are all just a highway tire with a little traction and cool looking sidewalls! Gots to have large voids that will clean out with acceleration to bite in the muck.

Those are not really AT's- they call them Hybrids- an more aggressive than average AT but quieter than Muds.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
I need to post up a pic of the Toyo M-55s on my 6000 lb 96 GMC K 2500. 255-85-16 E. They are almost on the wear bars now, but deservedly so. They spent eight years on my 3/4 ton diesel 4x4 before I moved them to this 96.

20 years old and over 80,000 miles. They are not much for mud and snow traction today. But they are still good for another summer.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by HawkI
Ah, the Campfire "best" tire thread.

Tires aren't jack of all trades, even though the manufacturers make every attempt to tell you they are and everyone who uses XYZ tire will tell you as well.

They all make good ones, they all have their detractors, otherwise none of them would be in business.

There is no such thing as a mud and snow tire, no such thing as an 85k excellent mud tire used on pavement 99.9% of the time pulling a horse trailer.
Wide lugs make more noise and uneven contact on pavement, more closed lugs don't shed mud. Shedding snow provides less traction than retaining snow, the opposite of mud. Those are facts and there isn't any exceptions to those facts, only compromises.
Some tires don't run worth a whoop due to wheelbase, suspension type, etc.. It depends on a lot of things.

Goodyear snuggling up to BLM is definitely a turn off, even if they have some decent tires in their line, which they do.

I've run two sets of BFG Rugged Trail T/A's on my 3/4 ton; at 200k, I have put on a third set just this winter(mostly pavement). They are decent in snow, kinda suck in mud, wear well for my regular uses.

The Toyo M-55 does one hell of a job at compromising. A decent enough road tire that they are popular on OTR semi trucks. They are pinned for studs if ice is in the picture. The tread is open enough that they do clean well.

And in my experience, I have had a couple sets siped. So done, they also excel in the snow. But I still carry chains.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Duratracs on wifey's ½ ton Silverado. They're not LT, nor do they have a P anywhere on them. I don't know what they really are, but they're great in shïtty weather. Noisy as all get out though. I guess I have to look for something else next time. Fuggin' BoweLMovement fuggin' up everything.

"Their minds are dead" - Carmine Ricca
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I'm going to file Goodyear in the same category as Coke. I didn't know about this until this thread showed up. I'll take my "white stained" money elsewhere.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by horse1
Originally Posted by JeffyD

Take a look on the sidewall, do they actually say "Made in USA"? I don't know but I thought I read or heard plenty of Goodyear's being made X-US.

"Made in U.S.A." on the sidewalls.

"No good deed shall go unpunished!"
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

600 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 61 invisible), 1,986 guests, and 1,306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,184
Posts18,523,803
Members74,030
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.