Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by PJGunner
Originally Posted by PJGunner
Correct me if I'm wrong but weren't the rifles used in The Unforgiven Sharps carbines. I haven't watched that one in a long time but IIRC they were sharps. Guess I'd best watch it tonight.
Paul B.

I did watch it and there was one Sharpes rifle, several Sharpes carbines, two Winchester 92s doctored up to look like iron frame Henrys. I don't think I saw any Springfields though. I'd forgotten what good movie it was.
Paul B.
The Unforgiven utilizes weaponry much closer to historically accurate than many movies of the day. I consider The Searchers to be the best movie ever made. However, it is still not without flaw and weaponry is a major one. The Unforgiven at least tries to be more accurate. Back then, replicas were not prolific, if available at all, so they relied on original guns and there weren't many original Henry's. The pistols are not as good, with SAA's being the focus and by the mid 1870's they wouldn't have been nearly as prolific on the frontier as they were in the late years of the decade. One assumes this story takes place about 1874 and the SAA would have been out only a year at that time, which is still much better than The Searchers, where most everybody is armed with them in 1869!

The Sharps carbines are a nice touch. 1859 or 1863 model Sharps Cavalry carbines converted to 50-70 Government. This took place in Texas and for awhile, The Texas Rangers were armed with these guns. The government also actually gave them away to settlers in Arizona, for protection. Glen Campbell and Matt Damon are so-armed in the respective versions of True Grit.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Birdwatcher, I'm kinda curious as to your source that Alan Ladd did not like guns?? I never met him but I knew some people who worked in various pictures with him where there were lots of guns and shooting and never heard any of those people say he disliked guns. Just curious.

L.W.

If it’s on Wiki it must be true......

Scroll down to “Production”

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shane_(film)

The reference source website link provided by Wikifrom TurnerClassic Movies no longer works, here’s another that does not reference Ladd in that context but gives other interesting trivia....

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt0046303/trivia

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Found The Unforgiven on direct tv and wife and I both watched it. Have to admit we both thought it was pretty lame. Maybe a 3-4 on a scale of 1-10. I wouldnt watch it again.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Birdwatcher, I'm kinda curious as to your source that Alan Ladd did not like guns?? I never met him but I knew some people who worked in various pictures with him where there were lots of guns and shooting and never heard any of those people say he disliked guns. Just curious.

L.W.

If it’s on Wiki it must be true......

Scroll down to “Production”

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shane_(film)

The reference source website link provided by Wikifrom TurnerClassic Movies no longer works, here’s another that does not reference Ladd in that context but gives other interesting trivia....

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt0046303/trivia

Birdwatcher, thank you for those links re the production of Shane. Here is some "trivia" that was told to me by an older screen writer with whom I became friends. He was under contract to Paramount when Shane was being filmed. He told me that Stevens shot over 1,000,000 feet of 35 mm film. That's enough for about eight standard length films of the time period. Stevens shot everything! Over and over and over.

My friend told me that the reasoning for the editing and reediting problems came because Stevens had so much film it was very difficult to organize the film in a workable sequence, therefore that was part of the $2,000,000 cost overrun. When Paramount finally premiered the film in Santa Barbara, at the end people were walking out of the theater laughing in derision at the overly melodramatic movie. They brought the picture back to the studio, held a conference about what to do. After all, $2,000,000 in 1951 was one helluva lot more then than today and Paramount was going to take a real bath.

They fired Stevens and his film editor and hired another (uncredited) producer and film editor. After viewing the movie they'd premiered and reading the book, the producer said, "Why don't we edit it from the point-of-view of the boy, who's telling the story in the novel?" He disliked a whole lot of the dialogue in the film so he called in one of the great "script doctors," Jack Sher, to "doctor" the dialogue. So he and his film editor edited the film to become what eventually was shown in the theaters.

I must say I question strongly that they had to do 119 takes of Ladd demonstrating his gun handling prowess to Joey, shooting in the corral, even though Stevens was well known for never being satisfied with a scene when he shot it.. It was far too non-complicated a bit of action for that to have happened. As for the Colt revolver used for the shooting scenes -- and many gunfighter movies even today where single action revolvers are used -- the revolvers are tricked out double action revolvers so the actor can "shoot real fast." Just pull the trigger as fast as you can. Very, very few people can shoot single action Colts rapidly that fast, therefore the double action revolvers.

Eyes shut when shooting means Ladd disliked guns? I don't buy that simply because when all that black powder smoke is blowing out, virtually anyone would blink. As for "not pointing" his revolver at his target in the saloon, that is more a viewpoiint from the camera angle. Now the final shooting of the guy upstairs, Ladd did not aim "up" enough for a real bullet to have connected with the bad guy. I have an idea that Stevens did not catch that when it was being filmed or he would have done another take. Ladd was in many movies previous to Shane where he shot other actors and had no problem aiming at the actor. That's just my guess.

I do not take everything for gospel in IMDB. They make mistakes, too. They've made a couple of mistakes in listing my writing credits, and I've noticed a few with other writers with whom I'm well acquainted. IMDB is good, but as with anything of that nature. it is not perfect. wink

Thanks again for the link.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

593 members (12344mag, 222Sako, 160user, 240NMC, 1lessdog, 17CalFan, 66 invisible), 2,252 guests, and 1,267 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,285
Posts18,486,876
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.