-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
One thing I can tell you, from the experience of a co-worker, you'll like it even less if you don't keep up the therapy as directed. He wanted to get back to work, not take afternoons off for the later stages of PT when he was back to work.

His knee wouldn't straighten or bend correctly and he had to go back in to the surgeon. They had to put him under again and "manipulate" his knee rather forcefully.

He told us at work he'd rather have just had the surgery again.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Another thing that helps. A good dog to get you through it. This guy kept me company, every day:

3 days post surgery.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

3 weeks post surgery:

you have a dog, right? wink

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

35 Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by gemby58
Originally Posted by 35
I had both of mine done at the same time in 2014.
My only limitations from the Doc were no running and jumping.
Take your pain meds and do the therapy !
I`m including the obligatory x-ray that you can show your friends smile

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

Yeah you wish

Not my xray !
I had both replaced ! smile

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I don’t know where you are — small facility or large medical center— and what’s available for anesthesia techniques, but the type available or that they will offer is the numero uno thing right off the bat that will determine the first several days and beyond.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd

I don’t know where you are — small facility or large medical center— and what’s available for anesthesia techniques, but the type available or that they will offer is the numero uno thing right off the bat that will determine the first several days and beyond.

That nerve block thing was certainly helpful the first day or so.

after that, my high tolerance for drugs seemed to bother the nurses. Bothers the dentists too when they give me novacaine and get to work and say "you can STILL feel that?".

In it is contentment

IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Had both knees replaced at 48 years old. Don't have the same range of motion as I did with original equipment,but I don't have unbearable pain now. My advice is to not skimp on the physical rehad or you will regret it.

Just because you're offended doesn't mean your right.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Uncle_Alvah
I am scheduled for a TKR procedure one week from today.
I would be interested in opinions and advice as concerns recovery from the procedure.
My understanding is it's a stone Bitch.
In my favor perhaps is that I had a donor ligament put in my leg a few years ago.
I cringe at the idea that this will be a more difficult recovery than that.
Can ya help a guy out?

Some centers have the patient already doing a couple to a few weeks of PRE surgical PT.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Had both replaced in 2009. Left one in July. Right one three days before Thanksgiving. Was out of bed with crutches and walker the morning after. Home in three days, walking with a cane. PT is good. Pain killers with the first one for several days. With the second one did Tylenol when I got home and a pain killer every third or fourth night. All good until about three years ago. Left knee started giving trouble. Could barely bend it to put my left shoe on. Back to the doc in Sept 2019. Knee was swollen. X-rays, tried to get fluid out. No dice. January of last year back in to replace the plastic. Just an overnight stay. Also cleaned it out. Doc said there was so much scar tissue he was surprised it even worked. Right one has been fine.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Another thing that helps. A good dog to get you through it. This guy kept me company, every day:

3 days post surgery.

3 weeks post surgery:

you have a dog, right? wink

I have a wide selection available. Ten to be precise.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I had double TKR's in Summer of 2017. My experience mirrors Bob H in NH's so I won't repeat it. I was off of the Narco after a week because I can see how people get hooked on that stuff. Used a walker for 5 days, a cane for another 3, then walked and limped around as much as I could stand, then iced down.....ice is your friend. PT sucks for 2 weeks, but you'll get better quickly. Can't explain how good they feel today.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Had mine in 2017 and to me the worse part was wanting it to hurry up and heal so I could go about my business. I never used a walker just a couple days with a cane, mainly to scoot the dogs out of my way when walking. They sent me home with a ice machine that worked great, think it's called iceman. Mine has limited me to some things and my surgeon said everything looks good in xray and his moving it around felt right. A couple weeks ago I had an independent exam through the VA as they paid for the surgery, they found I was missing a 4 centimeter muscle that runs from knee cap to the thigh. Then they ask me what happened to it and I told them it probably went in the bone bucket with the old knee. It kinda explains why I seem to not pick my foot up quite high enough at times when walking. But still much better than the bone on bone pain. Cold weather stiffens it up to where it'll throb and ache.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I had both of mine replaced 4 years ago. Right knee 1-4-17, and left knee 3-14-17. Although it can be rough at first, its the best medical decision I ever made. I'm in the gym 3-4 days a week now with no pain. I can walk all I want up and down hills hunting. My advice is to take your meds to control pain, and give your best effort at physical therapy. The elliptical machine helped with strength and range of motion once the Dr. approved it. Do your best to bend and straighten your knee while rehabbing it. You'll be glad you did it!

Ron

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
Orwell
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

It has been mentioned above but don't blow off the physical therapy. It is important that you work hard at that.

I have had several friends that have had their knees replaced. All of them took rehab seriously except one. That one hard head is having a very hard time.

Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times.
Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Bob_H_in_NH
Alot of pain levels depends on the doctor and what he does. I had my TKR October of 2018.

Ask about a nerve block. This goes into your knee before surgery and essentially kills pains receptors for up to 2-3 days! Your body may vary, but it could very well get you past that first 36-48 hours which is key.

Things to expect:
- BRUISES, they will have a tourniquet on your thigh, it will leave bruises, don't worry, they go away!
- Sleep that first week isn't going to be easy, very hard to get comfy.
- They will have you on your feet FAST. Most likely within 24 hours at most. I had a drain in my knee for the first afternoon, that kept me in the bed.
- Your leg will be essentially dead, at least quads will. you will sit there and simply try to lift your foot up, nope, not happening, won't move. It will come back.
- Early PT SUCKS. I had in home for a week, that SUCKED. forcing it straight, forcing it to bend, all while your quads are dead. Trust me, the joy you feel that first time you can lift up your own foot is amazing!
- I actually didn't even take the Oxy, until the in home PT told me to just before she got there to make PT more effective. I did for a couple days then didn't.

Do PT, work on bend and straighten. Different people have harder time with one over the other. I had a bitch of a time getting it straight, but no real issues bending. Do what PT tells you, they will KNOW if you are doing your home PT, do it, but don't over do it. Push the pain limits, that's all up to you, but don't over do it. You just need to make steady progress. If you don't bend/straighten it with steady progress, the PT will, and you don't want that.

If you make it through the first 1-2 weeks, it's all easy from there. Progress speeds up, pain goes away.

Oh, and don't expect to take a crap anytime soon :-)

Best synopsis that I relate with.

Find whatever food or pill that makes your colon regular & stay with it for the duration of the opiates if you take them. I tried about three days worth post-op & they were quite useless. Ironbender & I had ours done same week & he suggested Ibuprofen as an alternative to the opiates. That stuff was magic. I never had any pain relief with my old joint using Ibuprofen, ever. But, that all changed with the new one. My doctor said not to take more than 800 mg’s per day for more than 3 days a week. So, I started at 400 mg’s & that worked great.

Weather changes will cause you pain, but, only due to the cutting off of your old parts. Not, because of the new parts. Expect soft tissue pain for months after. That does not equate to damaging the joint.

I pushed hard thru therapy & realized afterwards, 4 months post-op, while trying to climb stairs at work that my leg muscles were atrophied from years of limping. So, expect that if you’ve been babying it pre-op.

I was put on a lifetime directive of antibiotics prior to ANY dental work, including simple cleaning. And, no pivoting with your foot planted. And, absolutely NO running.

Mine was done in 2018 at 58.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Uncle Alvah: I had my total knee replacement just 2 years ago and it was THE best decision I have made since I married the VarmintWife 45 years ago.
I tried to deal with the pains, inability to do certain things and the inability to sleep well for way to many years (8 - 9 years)!
After the knee replacement and after the physical therapy I was like a new man - all the old and varied pains were gone and I became much more mobile.
Now I will relay this (quoting my expert knee surgeon!) "it's gonna hurt and be uncomfortable for some time (IIRC he said two weeks) but once that is over you WILL be better and much improved"!
That Doctor was right.
One thing I was not aware of is even a few "narcotic" pain relief pills WILL cause "constipation"!
Sounds benign enough but try to have a bowel movement with serious constipation and a leg that won't work or support you - it's an experience "I" never want to repeat!
I quit taking pain pills the second day after the operation for this very reason. I had been receiving intravenous pain killers for two previous days while I was in the hospital recovering.
So I became REAL constipated.
And secondly and perhaps more importantly - ABSOLUTELY keep up with the recommended exercises and never miss a physical therapy session!
I will NOT relay the consequences that befell a close friend of ours when SHE did not keep up with the exercises and therapy!
The thought of my having to go through what she went through to have her poor recovery (due to not keeping up with the exercises and P.T.!) are to excruciating for me to relay.
I am so happy I had my injured knee replaced and even happier my other knee does NOT have a thing wrong with it.
Best of luck to you.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
While in rehab I had a kindly female PA in the clinic tell me that 2 extra strength Tylenol and 3 Motrin were equal in pain relief to the Vicodin.
After 2 weeks I started getting hooked on the Vicodin.

I did learn that, one 10 mg Vicodin and a double gin and tonic made my knee quit hurting*

I didn't want to get hooked on the Vicodin so I flushed it down the toilet. I did try the Motrin and Tylenol and it works.
If you have liver problems or kidney problems you don't want to load up on these meds, but I took them a-plenty for two years and they worked well for me with no side effects. The three Motrin and the two Tylenol, do not take more than twice a day.

*not recommended by physician

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
A friend of mine got the nerve block and he had horrible migraine headaches for 2 weeks. I told the anesthetist I wanted total anesthetic, that is what I had.

Former talk show host Neal Boortz had TKR, he got the nerve block and he had them set up the pillows and he watched the operation! Good God not for me I didn't want to see them sawing off my femur with a Sawzall. After that, they saw off the top if the tibia.
No thanks I didn't want to see that I wanted to be out like a light.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Simonk , there is too much misinformation behind your response to answer fully, but the “nerve block” you are referring to is probably the SAB or “spinal” which do have an incidence of headache post-procedure.

But, there are other forms of nerve block that won’t result in a headache, and, will give tremendous pain relief post-op. And they can be combined with “going to sleep.”

From my experience most patients are not apprised of them if the anesthesia providers even do them. They take increased skill, more time, thus creased cost.

Pain management after a TKA is still not satisfactory for most patients. Not that everything can be pain free.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
Misinformation behind my response. No, I don't think so. I gave an exact recounting of my experience.
Vicodin will get you hooked and Motrin and Tylenol are great pain relievers following TKR.

Yes, my buddy got a spinal block.
If there are other forms of nerve block that are more effective than spinal block, I am not knowledgable about them and I must plead ignorance to other forms of nerve block.
And, of course, not everyone who has spinal block gets the bad side effects.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Be very nice to your anesthesiologist and get the nerve block. IIRC it is injected into the thigh. You'll enjoy the best two or three days after that with minimum of drugs. And it really helps you get started on PT. I had Oxy left over but I'm not real pain sensitive. It's only pain.

BTW I was taught early on in my athletic career to learn the difference between pain and injury. I did and it has served me well. Motivation helps way more than drugs.

Best wishes.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

378 members (163bc, 160user, 257 mag, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 264mag, 33 invisible), 1,603 guests, and 938 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,867
Posts18,497,418
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.