Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 26 of 30 1 2 24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ribka
Originally Posted by local_dirt
Laughing. Give me another distressed duplex, thank you.

I looked at buying duplexes but if you don’t have to pay rent and the states support this much too risky. Gonna get worse under this administration

Maybe in a few years after real estate correction

Thanks man, and back at you! I know you've slayed it this year.
We owned a rental duplex in Alaska, it was a good setup, but fixing toilets and dealing with renters had it's own challenges. Did well by selling it all to one of the renters. Set us up for debt free Idaho life and a nice DIY house build on good acreage.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Like to see the returns on rental properties in LA , Seattle , Portland
Detroit, Chicago, philly San Fran , Baltimore this past year

Commercial and residential

Last edited by ribka; 03/09/21.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

Wait until the eviction and foreclosure moratoriums expire.

"Life is tough, even tougher if your stupid"
John Wayne
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Stormin_Norman

Wait until the eviction and foreclosure moratoriums expire.

"Four more years"

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

I looked at buying duplexes but if you don’t have to pay rent and the states support this much too risky. Gonna get worse under this administration

Correction will be minimum 10% up where I live, + get 6 months rent upfront. I don't use cash anyway, so it doesn't matter.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by broomd

Thanks man, and back at you! I know you've slayed it this year.
We owned a rental duplex in Alaska, it was a good setup, but fixing toilets and dealing with renters had it's own challenges. Did well by selling it all to one of the renters. Set us up for debt free Idaho life and a nice DIY house build on good acreage.

Good for you. That's the way to do it. Work your plan.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I owned an apartment building with commercial space in Seattle from 1990 to 2000.
It seems like I rebuilt every bathroom floor in that building... due to tenants using the bathroom as a wading pool.
Meanwhile MSFT was making me real money, and no plumbing or framing required.

There are plenty of smart people that want to own something tangible ... but a deed is just a piece of paper.
In Seattle it is against the law to raise the rent because you don't like a tenant....it is not really your property.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Clarkm

I owned an apartment building with commercial space in Seattle from 1990 to 2000.
It seems like I rebuilt every bathroom floor in that building... due to tenants using the bathroom as a wading pool.
Meanwhile MSFT was making me real money, and no plumbing or framing required.

There are plenty of smart people that want to own something tangible ... but a deed is just a piece of paper.
In Seattle it is against the law to raise the rent because you don't like a tenant....it is not really your property.

and you cannot legally run a crim history check on your prospective tenants in Seattle ( king county) or you'll be sued

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Dude lost bet. GME over $250 again. He eats a green crayon and washes it down with WhiteClaw.

https://www.reddit.com/r/wallstreet...romise_to_some_friends_that_i_would_eat/

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

I Am Buying Apartments Hand Over Fist

Mar. 03, 2021 9:25 AM ET

High Dividend Opportunities

Summary
+ A broader look at the multi-family sector (residential property REITs).
+ How BRT, EQR, and ESS fit into the investment plan.

= = = =

Today we are taking a broader look at the multi-family sector (residential property REITs). This is a sector that we were completely out of before COVID, and we started adding last year when the prices dropped.

Apartment rents are economically sensitive and benefit greatly when the job market is improving and when there is inflation. With the amount of stimulus being pumped into the economy, combined with the continuing recovery from COVID, we expect both in the coming years.

We want to be positioned in apartments before the full economic recovery, while prices remain distressed. The bottom line is that the rally in these REITs is substantially underway. The fundamentals reported at Q4 earnings support a big upside movement in apartment REITs. They are set to benefit from both improving fundamentals and momentum.

I am Buying Apartments Hand over Fist

Summary

+ Short-term leases make apartments sensitive to economic changes.

+ In 2020, that brought prices down.

+ In 2021, the economy will see a supercharged recovery.

+ For apartment REITs, catch the rally now, it is just getting started!

One of the most beautiful part of owning real estate is that it is literally everywhere and it is needed for literally everything. Anything that humans do, build or create couldn't be done without real estate. Where you live, where you work, where you play, where you exist and even where you will be buried are all "where's," which means somebody, somewhere has paid for and/or is renting that location. Everybody is somewhere, and somebody bought or rented the real estate they are on! An important part of real estate is that supply can be limited based on "hot" locations, which drives prices up. Another important factor is that real estate is a great hedge against inflation, much better than keeping your hard-earned cash eroding at your local bank.

For landlords, real estate provides a very wide variety of opportunities and different ways to collect rents. Of course, not all investment opportunities are created equal. Over time, various types of real estate have evolved their own norms, customs and even laws.

For example, for residential apartments, the vast majority of leases are for a year or less. Commercial properties generally have much longer leases, with some types of real estate seeing 15+ year leases as the norm. Having very short lease terms is something that really sets multi-family real estate apart from other types of real estate.

It is also something that makes it particularly appealing in an inflationary environment. When the economy is growing, multi-family is a great place to be.

Economic Sensitivities
One consequence of short-term leases is that the renters have more frequent options to exit the lease to move to cheaper options. At least once a year, the renter can decide to go rent somewhere else. Additionally, for most renters, their rent is the largest single recurring monthly bill they have. This makes pricing competition aggressive among competing apartments.

On the other hand, where a person lives is something that most people prioritize. Specifically, people will happily pay a premium to live closer to work, to be close to a good school for their children, to be within walking distance of amenities, or to be in a more affluent neighborhood.

As a result, we see widely varying results based on local economic conditions. When jobs are growing, we see apartment demand rising and prices quickly go up. When jobs suddenly disappear, rental prices go down quickly.

Consider New York City. A city that needs no introduction and has long had nosebleed rental prices. The average rent for a 2-bedroom apartment in NYC has generally trended from $3,000-$3,500/month, more than the average American homeowner pays on their mortgage. When much of NYC was shut-down due to COVID restrictions, those rents fell more than 20%.

[Linked Image from static.seekingalpha.com]
Source: Zumper.com

Those of you who live in the heartland of the US likely still have sticker shock even at the $2,500 rent – keep in mind this is an average so apartments in affluent neighborhoods are much higher! Compare this experience to Charleston South Carolina:

Source: Zumper.com

Despite COVID, rental prices are hitting all-time highs. This is typical of what we see in southern mid-sized cities in the Sunbelt. This area experienced fewer government imposed restrictions, better job stability and experienced growth despite the pandemic.

Opportunities
Following the selloff in 2020, we are very bullish on apartments across the board because the economy is set for a supercharged recovery. There is a lot of liquidity for businesses to use to expand, which means job growth, wage growth and we know that leads to higher demand for apartments.

So would you rather buy an apartment in NYC, or in Charleston? They are two very different opportunities. NYC was harder hit, and when there is a recovery, areas that are harder hit have a higher return when they rebound. Charleston never really slowed down, and if the pandemic couldn't slow it down, that speaks very well of the future for apartments in that area.

You can chose to invest in apartments that are set to see a V-shaped recovery in coastal markets like NYC, or chose to invest in slower, but steadier growth of the Sunbelt.

If you are into real estate, then you know that the best thing is to have a long term investment horizon. Apartments have proven to be one of the best real estate investments ever. The trick to maximize returns is to buy them on the cheap! Today we share 3 of our favorite apartment REITs that offer the opportunity to capitalize on the big recovery.

BRT Apartments
BRT Apartments (BRT) is a REIT that focuses on the Sunbelt. Cities like Charleston where population growth and job growth have been above average.

Source: BRT Presentation

These cities had less negative impact from COVID and can be expected to continue their growth throughout 2021. BRT currently pays a 5.4% yield.

While the share price has recovered some from since COVID, this is a growth story for BRT's portfolio. Demand for apartments in the Sunbelt is going to be on fire, so we're adding more BRT while it is still trading at low valuations. Investors can expect to collect the 5.4% dividend, with 10%/year in share price growth, a very reasonable expectation.

Equity Residential
Equity Residential (EQR) is a blue-chip apartment REIT that yields 3.6%. EQR has very rarely traded this cheap, and the yield for this blue chip is extremely attractive. Like most very selective REITs, it owns properties in areas that have historically been considered premium.... like New York City and San Francisco, two of the hardest hit markets.

Today, you are getting exposure to some of the best markets in the country at significant discounts. EQR offers a good 30%+ upside to get to prior highs.

EQR is still early on in their recovery and their Q4 earnings report included numerous positive indicators suggesting that the bottom is in. Pricing notably improved late in 2020, physical occupancy improved and move-ins started outpacing move-outs.

Source: EQR Q4-2020 Presentation

These indicators suggest that we will see a V-shaped recovery, in which case shareholders can enjoy more aggressive growth on the rebound than we are likely to see in the areas that didn't fall.

It is important to note that EQR has an A- credit rating, and its fortress balance sheet ensures that it has the ability to navigate through any turmoil. EQR's current yield is 3.6%, and you can expect to bank on significant capital gains. Our target for EQR shares is an upside of 30% to pre-COVID highs and more as growth starts to kick in. Coastal markets may be down, but the high demand for housing will return with a vengeance. With EQR, you are buying top real estate at rock bottom prices, something that only happens once in a decade.

Essex Property Trust
Essex Property Trust (ESS) is a Dividend Aristocrat property REIT that offers today a 3.2% yield. ESS maintained their annual increase in 2021, raising the dividend recently. Like EQR, ESS has exposure to large cities, with a focus on the West Coast.

Like EQR, data shows solid growth in their markets in Q4, and this growth was sequential based on prior quarters.

Source: ESS Q4 2020 Earnings Supplement

With revenues improving in most of their markets, vaccines being distributed, and more businesses reopening, the bottom is well behind us, which was probably in late 2020.

Certainly, the bond markets are showing strong confidence in ESS, as they recently priced bonds at 1.788%, which will allow them to refinance bonds that are currently at 4%. A substantial interest savings, and a big boost in their net future profits!

Most REITs with a "Dividend Aristocrat" status often trade at a premium to their peers, and we expect the same for ESS. Today is a unique opportunity to buy at a discount, an opportunity that is unlikely to last. ESS, will continue to reward its investors by consistently growing its dividend, and with significant upside potential for the price to reach its pre-pandemic levels. For longer-term investors, this is one of the best REITs to buy and hold for the very long term.

Conclusion
Owning apartments can be very rewarding for those who love investing in real estate. One key consideration is the entry point, and apartment REITs today offer a unique entry point. At this point, many other REITs are starting to recover to their pre-pandemic levels, but apartment REITs are still lagging. It is only a matter of time until we see a strong recovery, and growth returning to normal. One thing that has been universal across the apartment REITs sector is that their recent earnings came in strong (Q4 compared to Q3) Same-property numbers have clearly improved, rents are climbing up, occupancy increasing, and net operating income improving over the prior months. These trends continued into 2021 and we can expect them to accelerate starting Q1 2021.

The market is often forward looking, and we expect that share prices will fully recover before earnings reach their prior levels. In many cases, the rebound has already started, making apartment REITs not only attractive for value investors like us, but also momentum plays. A V-shaped recovery is on the way as the economy prepares for a supercharged recovery.

In the above report, we have highlighted three of our top apartment REITs that are set for income, growth and capital gains. They cover different geographical areas primed for growth.

All you have to do is invest in these REITs, relax and collect rent with yields between 3.2% and 5.4%. The capital gains are the cherry on top of the cake. Apartments also gives you some protection against inflation so you can sleep better at night!

For thttps://static.seekingalpha.com/uploads/2021/3/2/16392-1614737168424457.pnghose who love to invest in apartments as a long-term investment, non- HDO pick ESS can be considered along with EQR and BRT. In a sense, all three apartment REITs complement each other in terms of geographic locations and diversification. ESS is a great Dividend Aristocrat to own.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]

I doubled my money in the last year.

I am
52% AMZN
20% GOOG
11% APPN
17% other

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I need to learn about this stuff, a good excuse to go visit Edm.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
in 2021 the economy will return supercharged? Man someone is dreaming there.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]

I am
52% AMZN
20% GOOG
11% APPN
17% other

Me too - that is after I lost 1/3 of it in March of last year.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
[Linked Image]

I am
52% AMZN
20% GOOG
11% APPN
17% other

You're obviously very proud of making those communist elites super rich, since most of what you post here is to brag about it all the time.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
You're obviously very proud of making those communist elites super rich

You think Clarkm is moving enough volume to influence the price of GOOG and AMZN and such?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Stickfight
You're obviously very proud of making those communist elites super rich

You think Clarkm is moving enough volume to influence the price of GOOG and AMZN and such?

You're obviously not very good at cut and paste. Try quote.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by centershot

You bought high and sold low?

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
Originally Posted by centershot

You bought high and sold low?

After you posted all those screens of rental info, I felt compelled to make a case for stocks. Last March was terrible, so me picking a year that ended yesterday was cherry picking.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by stxhunter
I need to learn about this stuff, a good excuse to go visit Edm.

Any time Roger. I made good wealth personally trading since I joined Fidelity 36 years ago and since retiring have backed off a bit because I can with a nice balanced approach. I think you are getting the wealth but want to preserve it whilst making some money.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Page 26 of 30 1 2 24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

557 members (007FJ, 160user, 12344mag, 10ring1, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 51 invisible), 2,233 guests, and 1,225 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,251
Posts18,486,261
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.