Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
M
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
I would really like to hear some good ideas on how to remove tree stumps. I cut them off as close to the ground as I could with a chainsaw, but, they still pose possible lawn tractor damage. I don't want a chipper that is big enough to do the job to rut the hell out my yard. Decompose? Burn?

Thanks for any replies!

GB1

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Better help should come along, but it seems there is some chemical the speeds up the rotting?

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
The last stump grinder I rented was on rubber tracks. No damage to my lawn other than where I ground the stump. About a five foot circle.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
ive never had a grinder mess up my yard.

Other than that, if you cut now, they will be ready to burn by fall. They'll burn/smoke for days.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Got me on ignore

No help for you crybaby

IC B2

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
I recently had a stump about 40" in diameter ground up. I had to remove about 4 wheelbarrow loads of wood chips afterwards to get it level. I put some grass seed and some Miracle Grow garden soil on it.

I did the same to another area a few springs ago and by mid summer you couldn't tell where it was.

Also, I've placed half of a 55 gallon barrel around a stump, poured in about 5" of charcoal and lit it up. It takes 4 or 5 applications, but it will eventually burn it down to ground level.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by Bristoe
I recently had a stump about 40" in diameter ground up. I had to remove about 4 wheelbarrow loads of wood chips afterwards to get it level. I put some grass seed and some Miracle Grow garden soil on it.

I did the same to another area a few springs ago and by mid summer you couldn't tell where it was.

Also, I've placed half of a 55 gallon barrel around a stump, poured in about 5" of charcoal and lit it up. It takes 4 or 5 applications, but it will eventually burn it down to grind level.

problem with leveling it in the beginning is that the stump will continue to rot way down, you'll be adding top soil on an almost yearly basis. Always try to leave a small mound and it will eventually level. Atleast that has been my experience.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
How big and what species we talking about? Some have shallow root systems, some come right out with a tug.

My 4' cottonwood stump is gonna take some time to make go away.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Drill some holes in it, add lye. Cover with dirt and come back in 5 years. This has worked hundreds of times.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by killerv
Originally Posted by Bristoe

Also, I've placed half of a 55 gallon barrel around a stump, poured in about 5" of charcoal and lit it up. It takes 4 or 5 applications, but it will eventually burn it down to grind level.

problem with leveling it in the beginning is that the stump will continue to rot way down, you'll be adding top soil on an almost yearly basis. Always try to leave a small mound and it will eventually level. Atleast that has been my experience.

I've had to add soil to one that sunk. But only one time. In any event, they're going to rot and sink whether you grind them or not.

IC B3

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
If it's cedar, it could take a while to rot on its own. Took one down for my parents and drilled a series of 1 inch holes in the top of the stump to collect water. A winter of freeze/thaw cycles busted it up enough to break up most of it. Not an ideal solution because the freezing would often only expand upward (like an ice cube tray). It was only one tree, and mom didn't want to get a stump grinder nor use chemicals. Couldn't burn in the city either.

Depending on height and diameter of stump, an angle grinder could work well on the smaller stuff.

For even when we were with you, we gave you this rule: "If a man will not work, he shall not eat."

2 Thessalonians 3:10
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
I've been taking down trees around my place for 3 years. My method is to just get down flush with the ground and chainsaw through them. It dulls the heck out of the chain to get down in the dirt with them. (there's no way to cut them flush without digging up some dirt with the chainsaw)

I just sharpen the chain after every stump cutting. That little chain grinder I bought at Harbor Freight has gotten quite a workout.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

I dig up around the stump to expose the roots and use an axe, when I get to big roots sometimes I use a hose to soak the dirt and wash the roots clean (wait until the water drains) then I cut the roots with a chainsaw, and dig up some more using the Axe method.

If it’s a big stump I cut it into 4th’s with a chain saw once I wash all the dirt away from it with the hose... and take it out in pieces.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
The fun way, Diesel fuel and fertilizer.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labΓ© skΓ½la

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
The stores sell stump decomposing compound. It's saltpeter, which is an oxidizer. Drill holes, fill with saltpeter, give it time to oxidize the wood. The chemical is a natural fertilizer.

Last edited by denton; 03/19/21.

Be not weary in well doing.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Dig that sumbitch out with an excavator, fix the lawn. Done in a day, not 5 years of bullschit.

LOL
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Stump grinder ....period!

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by 12344mag
The fun way, Diesel fuel and fertilizer.

😁
I use diesel, and the wood from the tree itself, if available.
Takes some time, but NO mess

if a man speaks, and there isn't a woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I've rented grinders and have been happy with them. Except...let the stumps get dry before you do it. I tried to take out some poplar stumps that were too green and the grinder choked on them. The didn't chip, they sort of wadded and the pieces wouldn't tear loose. The trees were dormant but still had too much water in the trunks.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I've rented grinders and have been happy with them. Except...let the stumps get dry before you do it. I tried to take out some poplar stumps that were too green and the grinder choked on them. The didn't chip, they sort of wadded and the pieces wouldn't tear loose. The trees were dormant but still had too much water in the trunks.

The rental place here even asks you how long it has been since the tree was cut.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

565 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 1234, 58 invisible), 2,686 guests, and 1,305 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,611
Posts18,473,902
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.