Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
My nephew packed tannerite under some stumps and shot it. Said it was fun to blow stumps out of the ground.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Dig that sumbitch out with an excavator, fix the lawn. Done in a day, not 5 years of bullschit.

This

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I own 48 acres in the NC mountains. It is all tall trees today, but in 1930 it was a farm and I knew a lady who was picking corn right where my house is in 1930, she was a little mountain girl and she picked the corn with her brothers and her dad. They pulled an ox drawn sled up the mountain to put the corn it. My land is half way flat on the tops. An ox drawn sled with hickory runners.
I often wonder how those hillbillies cleared those stumps back in 1910. Did they dig 'em out and pull them out with a mule, or what? My land is mostly steep, steep but just to clear the 4 acres that are half way flat, they would have had to clear hundreds of stumps.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
I own 48 acres in the NC mountains. It is all tall trees today, but in 1930 it was a farm and I knew a lady who was picking corn right where my house is in 1930, she was a little mountain girl and she picked the corn with her brothers and her dad. They pulled an ox drawn sled up the mountain to put the corn it. My land is half way flat on the tops. An ox drawn sled with hickory runners.
I often wonder how those hillbillies cleared those stumps back in 1910. Did they dig 'em out and pull them out with a mule, or what? My land is mostly steep, steep but just to clear the 4 acres that are half way flat, they would have had to clear hundreds of stumps.

Often they would hook a block and tackle onto either an ox or a team of mules to pull them out.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Last time I had to deal with trees the wife wanted out of the lawn I left the stumps about 3 feet high and put potted plants on them. She let me get away with that for a couple of years then decided she wanted them out of there. I cut them off and rented a stump grinder. It was a lot of fun and done in short order. I have done a few of these "drill holes and pour stuff in them" tricks, but I much prefer just getting something done now. Explosives are good, under certain circumstances, but that stuff is a lot harder to get these days than it used to be, and around a home a lot can go wrong with explosives unless you really know what you're doing. (I would suggest that most here recommending explosives have little or no experience with them.)

Mathew 22: 37-39

IC B2

I
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I

You've got to hand it to a blind prostitute
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Pretty good video Irving. What a lot of work to pull a stump!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by VaHunter
Some trees will come back with a vengeance if you just grind them to below grade and cover and do not kill the roots, Locust comes to mind but they're are others. If that is the type of tree you have cutting as close the ground as possible and then drilling a bunch of 1" holes about 12" deep in the stump then pouring Epson Salt and cap with melted wax from a candle. Cover with black plastic and then dirt. This will kill all of the roots and keep the tree from spouting again.

Pine, poplar and most oaks will not spout back from the stump so just cut as close to the ground as you can and if you do not want to grind the stump just cover with dirt and wait until it rots.
Some poplars certainly WILL come back. I took out 7 hybrid poplars early last spring and ground the stumps. I fought the roots all summer all over the yard. I got some strong brush killer and about twice a week all summer, I'd mix some with water 50/50 and slap it on the shoots with a paint brush. It didn't take much of it. It would knock them dead but more just kept coming up. I never let any get above 6". We'll see if they come back this year. With no leaves all summer, hopefully the roots have starved out by now.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
I
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Originally Posted by VaHunter
Some trees will come back with a vengeance if you just grind them to below grade and cover and do not kill the roots, Locust comes to mind but they're are others. If that is the type of tree you have cutting as close the ground as possible and then drilling a bunch of 1" holes about 12" deep in the stump then pouring Epson Salt and cap with melted wax from a candle. Cover with black plastic and then dirt. This will kill all of the roots and keep the tree from spouting again.

Pine, poplar and most oaks will not spout back from the stump so just cut as close to the ground as you can and if you do not want to grind the stump just cover with dirt and wait until it rots.
Some poplars certainly WILL come back. I took out 7 hybrid poplars early last spring and ground the stumps. I fought the roots all summer all over the yard. I got some strong brush killer and about twice a week all summer, I'd mix some with water 50/50 and slap it on the shoots with a paint brush. It didn't take much of it. It would knock them dead but more just kept coming up. I never let any get above 6". We'll see if they come back this year. With no leaves all summer, hopefully the roots have starved out by now.

I had the same problem, took out six plus the stumps and probably have about two acres covered with the damn sprouts i plan on trying your method when the snow is gone

You've got to hand it to a blind prostitute
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A pound of diesel and urea, a half pound of black powder, they both work great to loosen up a stump so they can be pulled.

Put whatever you use in a plastic container, take a couple hundred feet of Romex wire and put the exposed ends in the container. Place it under the stump as far as you can, touch the other end of the exposed wires to you truck battery. You’ll see the stump wiggle, then you can pull it out much easier. It’s a lot of fun too.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I bet the owner of that anchor tree is happy. He’ll have another stump to pull pretty soon, this time I bet he’ll use a stump grinder.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
i cut them off close to ground, drill as many 1/2" holes as i can stand to do in it and then i put 1/2 of a split rim truck wheel around it and fill it with the cheapest charcoal i can find and light it up and keep feeding it wood and charcoal for a couple of days. some of these damn things burn for a week or more underground. i have a maple stump that is like a rock. i keep burning it and it still needs more. soft woods go a lot quicker.

My diploma is a DD214
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

310 members (204guy, 17CalFan, 257_X_50, 219 Wasp, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 43 invisible), 2,382 guests, and 1,262 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,625
Posts18,492,865
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.